Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 20 <123 ... 1617 181920>
cestor

Israel 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Silicone helped and the 2 rear connectors are finally in. Cjb won't go back into the mounting because the drain pipe is blocking from above. Next to the bolt on the photo

Any tips?

Post #211695330th Jan 2020 8:49 am
cestor

Now trying with the pipe to the side of the cjb with no joy. How are you meant to route it?

Post #211695730th Jan 2020 9:15 am
cestor

Put everything back in place (squashed the pipe to the side but car didn't start.
Multiple faults showing on dash including transmission, park brakes,hdc. Bit the bullet and have taken it all out again. Looks like one of the rear connectors came detached when trying to refit the CJB because of all the faffing with the pipe.
Have now rerouted the drain pipe to go over the metal mounting plate for the CJB. As this seems to be a shorter route, I've had to cut the pipe by a few cm. Now have the joys of refitting all the connectors but hopefully will be easier this time.
String through the levers on the rear connectors to pull them down when in place is the way to go to

Post #211696730th Jan 2020 9:59 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi cestor
Really feeling for you. Been through replacement myself but was lucky enough not to have some of your challenges. I didn't have the issues getting the CJB back up again. Wondering why your pipe is in the way. Did you replace the it?
I was recommended to use the twine and pull down solution, but I couldn't get it to work. I have small hands so was lucky enough, in the end, to be able to get them back in.
Couple of things that helped me which I'll mention just in case you haven't already tried. Leave the CJB loose when refitting the connectors, and you can cock the latches a little by pulling them slightly down before placing them in their location which makes it easier to find them to pull them down.
Good luck.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #211715830th Jan 2020 8:38 pm
cestor

Managed to get it all working after taking the cjb out again (!) and refitting it. I'm puzzled about the route the drain pipe originally took once it enters the dashboard area and I would recommend that anyone doing this in future makes note of exactly where it goes relative to the CJB before removing the old one. Maybe different because mine is LHD...
Yes, I did a total replace of the pipe rather than splice it in - it is a very small amount of extra effort.

Post #211726331st Jan 2020 6:44 am
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all. Today I noticed some drops from the top of A-pillar.
Previous owner said the sunroof drain issue was fixed before.
So I took a look and the right side of sunroof was full of water. Therefore the water dripping was from overflow of the sunroof channel. Nothing much impressive to be honest. Just a few drops after loads of rain.

I followed the procedure describe here in the forum.
1- air intake out to inspect the gromet. All clear.
2 - tried to pass a grass trimmer wire from below and from above. No luck. It is completely blocked from about 7-10 cm from the intake..

As you can see by the picture attached, the old gromet was replaced by the white connection.
Click image to enlarge

Which looks like this one

I tried to push either way and apparently it is very blocked. However, the foam on intake hole was also soaked.

Any ideas? (Other than remove CJB Rolling Eyes ). I rather block that right side drain.

Can I just wack it hard or that might damage something along the drain?

Thanks a lot folks

Post #215285510th Jun 2020 5:50 pm
cestor

You can try compressed air. It didn't work for me but you may have better luck

Post #215286510th Jun 2020 6:23 pm
Gary_P

I'm wondering if your strimmer wire is hitting the edges of the white joining piece rather than a blockage? As stated compressed air will get around this and I've heard is a good way to unblock if there is one.
Keep us informed of progress
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #215287010th Jun 2020 7:29 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

Unlikely because from the bottom (feeding from the air intake) I start already inside the white connector. Unless there are more connections within 10cm or so.
I will try to round the tip to see if it helps for tomorrow.

Post #215289610th Jun 2020 8:32 pm
cestor

Sounds like the blockage is in the elbow joint

Post #215295811th Jun 2020 3:51 am
AL_P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry for the mini hijack but wanted to share something.

So I have been struggling with the blocked sunroof drains for ages and frequently tape the roof up to prevent water ingress when it looks like it might rain.

Yesterday I came up with an idea I am going to try, I have ordered a large piece of magnetic sign material, big enough to cover the whole of the sunroof area. I can put it on and take it off really easily depending if I want to be able to use the sunroof and fingers crossed it will keep the water out due to the large overlap on the edges of the sunroof. For the £20 I have paid I think its worth a try!

Incidentally I have roof rack that sits a long way forward with a light bar on it and this will also block that light through the sunroof and stop excess mud getting into the sunroof channels when off roading.
 BT Gap IID  
Post #215298611th Jun 2020 8:48 am
Prette

cestor wrote:
Sounds like the blockage is in the elbow joint

Good point but... because the white connector goes all the way down to the elbow (see my picture above) I suppose it is unlikely to be a the elbow blocage. Unless, there is a second elbow I am not aware of Crying or Very sad . Besides, I can feed about 10cm from the water exit behind the air take grille.

I was considering to wiggle the big hose up and down Embarassed Whistle to see if free-up some kink at the bottom, however, since the tube is full of water, I preferred to wait until the water dries out. (just in case any connection gets loose and flood the interior Wink )

Post #215299411th Jun 2020 9:24 am
Prette

AL_P wrote:
Sorry for the mini hijack but wanted to share something.

Yesterday I came up with an idea I am going to try, I have ordered a large piece of magnetic sign material, big enough to cover the whole of the sunroof area.

That is actually a good idea. Do you have a link for the supplier. When not in use, this cover should help a lot.

Besides, I follow another member advise to clear the borders of the sunroof and I will use vaseline to make it tight. It was veeeeery munky, durty, crispy, cracky, horribly dirty. At least now, it will seal a bit better when closed.

Post #215299511th Jun 2020 9:27 am
Prette

Gary_P wrote:
I'm wondering if your strimmer wire is hitting the edges of the white joining piece rather than a blockage?
Keep us informed of progress
Cheers

Thanks for the tip Gary. I sharpened the edges of the strimmer wire and voila...

After some knocking here and there... now I think there might be a kink/squeeze somewhere near the junction because despite the fact that the blockage is gone, I still cannot pass the wire through. I poured some windscreen washing liquid down the sunroof drain, it comes out slowly but does.

For now... all seems to work. Let's wait and see.

PS.: I also put Vaseline around the sunroof sealing rubber for an extra help.

Post #215343612th Jun 2020 5:34 pm
Gary_P

That's good news and thanks for the update. Good idea to sharpen the wire. Shame it won't [pass all the way through. It may well be a narrowing or perhaps a sharp bend?
Have you tried the strimmer wire from the other direction , sunroof opening downwards? It's worth checking there's nothing coming into the cabin by having a really good look when you pour water down from the top.
When I used the strimmer wire from the bottom output on mine, I eventually realised the wire ended up coming out under the glove box because of the split in the elbow.
Good result for now, and keep an eye on it
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #215373013th Jun 2020 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 20 <123 ... 1617 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >