Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

A flawed beauty?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

With regards to off-road capabilities surely Landrover cannot make this up (copied from official press pack)

2.4.2 Class-leading off-road geometry

New Discovery retains its status as the most capable premium SUV in off-road situations, combining advanced technologies with outstanding off-road geometry.

Exceptional ground clearance of 283mm, combined with an approach angle of up to 34 degrees, a break-over angle of 27.5 degrees and departure angle of 30 degrees ensure New Discovery is able to climb up, over and down the most extreme obstacles†.

New Discovery’s suspension is designed to optimise on-road dynamics, yet its outstanding geometry and wheel articulation of 500mm, aided by advanced air suspension, gives customers even greater confidence and capability when negotiating arduous and undulating surfaces.

2.4.5 All-Terrain Progress Control

Following its introduction on Range Rover Evoque, New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s innovative All-Terrain Progress Control technology (ATPC).

The unique system allows the driver to set a crawl speed ranging from 2km/h up to 30km/h (19mph) allowing them to concentrate on steering the vehicle and negotiating difficult terrain while the technology controls engine and braking functions.

With the system in operation the driver can use the cruise control functions to adjust the speed while an icon in the instrument cluster shows the existing setting and mode.

ATPC is fitted with a unique Low Traction Launch feature, designed to help to pull away smoothly and easily when accelerating on low-friction surfaces such as wet grass or ice.

2.4.6 Terrain Response 2 Auto

New Discovery is fitted with Land Rover’s next-generation Terrain Response 2 technology, which automatically monitors the driving conditions to ensure the vehicle is primed to cope with a range of surfaces; General driving; Grass, Gravel and Snow; Mud and Ruts; Sand; and Rock Crawl.

The intuitive system optimises a range of vehicle settings to suit the conditions, from the throttle mapping and steering responses to the suspension set-up and traction control settings. Alternatively, the centre-mounted dial allows the driver to manually select the appropriate setting simply and efficiently.

2.4.7 Four-corner air suspension

Land Rover’s four-corner air suspension system not only improves ride quality when driving on-road but also provides greater capability when off-roading.

With its two-stage off-road mode the automatic system is able to vary between two ride heights of +40mm and +75mm. At speeds below 50km/h (31mph) the +75mm setting is available and for faster speeds on rutted dirt roads, between 50-80km/h (31-50mph), the vehicle will operate at +40mm. In addition, the new Speed Lowering function cuts drag and enhances fuel economy by automatically reducing the ride height by 13mm at cruising speeds above 105km/h (65mph).

Other functions include enhanced tuning to prevent the suspension from lowering in deep wading conditions, as well as preventing belly-out situations where the centre of the vehicle rests on the ground.

2.4.8 Additional all-terrain technologies

Complimenting New Discovery’s optimised geometry and packaging is a suite of advanced all-terrain technologies. So whether drivers are faced with a snow-covered public road or towing a horsebox across a muddy field, New Discovery will maintain its composure.

Mike Cross, Land Rover Chief Engineer, Vehicle Integrity, said: “Our unrivalled collection of all-terrain technologies gives customers real confidence and ensures that any driver, be they an enthusiastic off-roader or a parent taking their children to school, can deal with any situation confidently and safely.”

The comprehensive range of on- and off-road technologies also includes:

Hill Descent Control (HDC) maintains a set speed while tackling steep descents off-road.
Gradient Release Control (GRC) slowly releases the brake when moving from a standing start on an incline for greater control.
Electronic Traction Control (ETC) applies a braking force or reduces torque to individual wheels to stop wheelspin.
Roll Stability Control (RSC) detects the beginning of a rollover and applies the brakes to the outer wheels to bring the vehicle under control.
Wade Sensing provides real-time wading depth information in relation to the maximum wading depth using the 4x4i infotainment screen.
 Peter  
Post #17166487th Oct 2016 1:54 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Too many gaps I'm afraid.

For instance, one of the things that I really like about the D4 is the tight turning circle (almost certainly as a direct result of having a separate chassis and not specifying room for comedy diameter and width road wheels).

The press release information, above, didn't include any mention of the turning circle now having increased from 11.45m to 12.3m (Land Rover's own figures).
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #17166617th Oct 2016 2:21 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Yes because it's 4 inches longer, coincidentally a nats thinner.
 Peter  
Post #17166667th Oct 2016 2:26 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They don't have to make anything up, but they can present the truth as it suits them. It's undoubtedly true that the Disco 5 comes with various improvements in off-road ability - more suspension travel, better wading depth, electronic tweaks etc. - but with them also come verious downsides - an aluminium structure, less of a bumper, no proper wheel arch trims etc.

In LR Public Relations' world, they've increased the headline figures and therefore it is better; its outright capability is improved. In the real world, the headline figures don't matter so much as the basics and being a generally tough vehicle. The D3/4 can do a lot, but the most important thing is what it can take without the owner having to worry about the damage risk.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Last edited by Lost for Words on 7th Oct 2016 3:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17166727th Oct 2016 2:40 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Thanks for the report DG.
From what you have said so far I'm glad I plumped for a new D4.
Looking forward to reading what you find out in Solihull tonight.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #17166747th Oct 2016 2:42 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

LFW - Like 53 mpg on the DS that was 35 mpg in real life Whistle
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #17166867th Oct 2016 3:14 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quite. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17166947th Oct 2016 3:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

OK went to the presentation last night and thankfully witnessed and crawled over two fully working models, had a line tour and a full 45 minute presentation ....and I left satisfied that what I saw in Paris was the result of very bad management.

If, as was told last night that LR executives have not only seen my videos but also had read this thread with horror, then I do hope at the very least that it's a lesson learned in ensuring your model launch is given the full attention for the whole period of the show ...not just for the press day.

Anyway...would I have one ... well despite some of the compromises over the D3\4.... yes I would. Not sure on spec as yet .... I'm not convinced I want or need the powered seating, I'm also not sure whether it will be quite as robust off road. We were repeated pointed towards Defender in conversations about the real rufty tufty stuff.

Despite any misgivings and the scrutiny that would naturally come from hardened LR fans ...it is nevertheless clear that this is a competent class leading vehicle by any standard.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17169338th Oct 2016 12:25 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Glad to hear that we saw in Paris was a just poor show from LR.

I hope they learn the lesson that you need to keep an eye on your display and manage Joe Public who are all trying to do several things at once in the car and pressing every button in sight at the same time.

Post #17169368th Oct 2016 12:32 pm
J77

Scotland 

Good to hear Thumbs Up

I think SE is a nice spec, for me it has everything I need and more. The 19" alloys ain't the prettiest but chose Namib Orange rather than the £1500 upgrade to 20" alloys, I wouldn't go any bigger.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #17169428th Oct 2016 12:41 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

petersw wrote:
Yes because it's 4 inches longer, coincidentally a nats thinner.

I thought it was thinner from the dimensions listed but was told at the factory that it is actually wider by 5 cms and it certainly feels wider
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #17169508th Oct 2016 1:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

D4 2,200mm

D5 2,220mm
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #17169528th Oct 2016 1:08 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Right having now been and seen the new Discovery in the flash and crawled over under and in it here are my views and opinions.
It is lovely to look at and grows on you the more you see it or spend time around it. It is big in all aspects from first vision to spending time in and outside of it. I also saw two on the road yesterday and it clearly stands out from others in my opinion even at 70 mph going the opposite way on the motor way.
Inside and the rear access, the 2nd row seats electrically fold to allow access to the 3rd row as well as sliding. The access is different to a D3/4 but I would not have said any harder, I find the D3/4 easy to catch legs/clothing on the seat mechanism when folded up for access, not so on the D5 although I think there may be slightly less row to get through. This however is overcome by the new 2nd row grab handle.
We (mark and I) both sat in the back with the 2nd row right back and right forward and felt there was enough room and I am 5 11 and Mark is 6 plus. If the 2nd row is slid right forward there is loads of room and still room for 2nd row passengers. The only down side for me was that the foot well was not as deep and your knees were up a bit, this is however over come easily when the 2nd row seats are pulled forward allowing you to stretch out. We would both happily sit in the back for a long journey. I did think it would be claustrophobic with the smaller window but did not find that to be honest.
The seats fold flattish on the initial push of the button and with an additional push squash down flatter to make a nearly level flat floor. It is actually wider at floor level than the D4 and would easily take a double air bed plus. Not sure if I like the electric fold or not. There was however still storage around the head rest area when the 3rd row were folded flat for things like first aid kits, tow strops etc, if the head rests could be removed and I am not sure if they can or not there would be a massive storage area.
There are loads of plug in points for phones and 12v gadgets and there are loads of buttons at all three rows to over seats as well as by your phone if you go for that option. The cubby holes in the boot have gone and the pockets at the top are a lot smaller. Door pockets seemed to D4. Secret cubby hole behind the HVAC controls was a nice touch.
Electrics and instruments are nicely laid out but the speedo and rev counter or a bit like looking into binoculars with their round brinicles, different but you soon get used to them. The 10” display was good, a huge amount on there and a lot to work through. The sat nav seemed quick and clear to program. Surround cameras were clear and good quality and the 360 although old technology was a nice touch. Trailer assist and the bits for towing seem very very good and very useful especially the ability to lower and raise the rear suspension from the boot area when hooking up.
The FBH has gone as standard equipment, however on the high spec models the car can be started whilst locked to warm the car and clear windows……………….. I was told this by different people and also questioned this at the end but all said the same. The FBH can be ordered as an option with remote heat, this then allows the same remote operation as D4’s. Seems a little odd to me.
Engine bay is huge, the 3lt sits lower and much further back than the 2lt and there seems to be loads of space for a second battery in there.
Underneath seemed to be better protected than the D4 with more plates but not sure how substantial they are and if they are more for show. Was told the wading depth was 900 mm and that you could come to a standstill in 900 mm of water, was also told you could drive through deeper providing you kept going and had a bow wave, but would not commit to how deep.

Would I buy one………………. Yes I would, what spec, not sure yet
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #17169618th Oct 2016 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the example you examined was better prepared than the one we saw at Les Comes. Ours was more like the one described at Paris. Sad
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #17169758th Oct 2016 2:10 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The two cars we looked at were both hand built pre production models and some of the door gaps were not great. However they were keen to demonstrate that it was pre production and that this issues would be resolved by customer delivery dates.
Despite being hand built as a whole they were well finished with no real issues or gremlins and I did try to break them both.....
D4 camera club 

Post #17169888th Oct 2016 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >