Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Found myself in the alps, its started snowing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

An inch of snow in Grantown on Spey this morning!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #2226239th Nov 2007 5:24 pm
bgsntth

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Are the Vredstine Wintrac's an all-season tire or a winter-only tire, nothing I have read makes this abundantly clear. How do they do on dry/wet roads, hydroplane resistance, and dirt/mud? I would use these year round. I'm debating between these and Yokohama A/T-S 265/60-18's, but the Yoko's only have a Load Index of 110, which I'm probably more concerned about then I should be Rolling Eyes

Thanks!

Post #2226649th Nov 2007 6:31 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just started snowing here this evening as I look out of the window.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning, it involves a trip to the garage with a boot full of tyres !

You can't beat winter tyres in cold weather.

Remember that it's actually rare that you drive on "Virgin" snow where true off-road tyres and chains are useful. But you do very often drive on frozen roads where soft compound winter tyres are a must.

2 years ago the D3 shod with Scorpions had some close calls for these reasons. Now with the winters it changes everyting
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #2227059th Nov 2007 8:54 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
An inch of snow in Grantown on Spey this morning!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Expecting 1.5 meters in east switzerland over the weekend ! My winter Pirellis are on their way. M + S tyres just dont cut it on normal roads with just a little snow / ice cover. Better the soft winter rubber compound. Stopping 2.7 tonnes plus passengers an luggage from going in a straight line when you need to turn needs all the help you can get.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #2227959th Nov 2007 11:59 pm
defender

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Well we got a lot of snow last night and today and I was forced into getting winter tyres. Going up wasn't a problem but coming down was very very difficult. Had to use HDC just so I could go round corners. It was kind of embarrising when little fiat puntos where passing me without a problem! Just got some Pirreli Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres and it has made an amazing difference, been up and down the mountain without a problem, no spinning wheels and braking is vastly improved!

Here are a couple of photos from today.....

Here is what it's like when it's not full of snow!!

Post #22287910th Nov 2007 1:38 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

Looks great there, good to see the snow falling. I'm trying to sort out a lads trip to Austria first week of January, so seeing those pictures has inspired me Mr. Green

Post #22288210th Nov 2007 2:12 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

snow is starting here as well.

I got the pirellis Ice and snow which are good on snow and not so bad on mud.
And much cheaper than Michelins or continentals...

By the way, do you know that it's illegal in Germany to drive on summer or all season tyres after 1.10.?
I heard that you would automatically be held responsible for causing an accident if you are driving summer tyres, even if you aren't the one to blame...

Post #22298710th Nov 2007 11:57 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

defender wrote:
It was kind of embarrising when little fiat puntos where passing me without a problem!

Don't be embarrased! it's more a matter of (over) confidence of the punto driver.
Getting used to drive on snow is the matter. The Punto needs speed to keep moving.

And mostly, at lower speeds, even a drop aside of the road doesn't do too much damage due to the soft layer of snow everywhere.

Don't speed on snow or icy roads however.....

Post #22298811th Nov 2007 12:03 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hmmm, got me thinking wonder if anyone has used either of these ?

ContiCrossContact Winter 235/70 R17 111T

Wintrac 4 xtreme 235/70 R17 111H XL

Maybe a good investment before I head to the alps in Jan, wonder if they would hold up to a weekend in Salisbury when I get back ? Too many questions, off to bed . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #22299611th Nov 2007 12:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defender

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Our snow had nearly all gone from our area on Sunday, so we went looking elsewhere! The new tyres have definitely been zapped by a magic wand. We just kept going as high up the mountains as we could, and hardly saw anybody else at all, all other vehicles we saw had snow chains on... except us!

I threw together a video and stuck it on youtube..... Although photos do not do the place any justice really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq7bUBc26VQ

Smile

Last edited by defender on 13th Nov 2007 8:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22370113th Nov 2007 8:21 am
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm off on a skiing holiday to Austria in Feb 08 and before then need to purchase a set of four new tyres for my TDV6 s.

I'm really looking for a steer from you guys as to whats the best set for me. I use the D3 for towing a horsebox every other weekend so theres plenty of driving round muddy fields, but the majority of driving is on road.

Just want to mention how flippin great the D3 is at towing - have to keep remembering we have the box and two horses in tow sometimes !!

I was just thinking of replacing the current scorpions like for like but having read this thread ( and a few others )wonder if there is a better alternative for me ?

Without wanting to start a huge debate are the scorpions ok for the kind of use I have or can you suggest a better option ?

Cheers all

Post #22370213th Nov 2007 8:33 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Defender Thumbs Up I was beginning to wonder how you managed to get so much snow in Accrington...... Rolling Eyes

Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #22377013th Nov 2007 1:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Defender - I've used MTR's for years on my Disco 2, and they were very very good in snow conditions. If I had 19" rims, that would be route I'd take, no question!

Wish I was there, facing an Austrian snowy winter, instead of facing an Australia hot summer (why is the grass always greener???).

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #22399014th Nov 2007 3:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >