Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Found a new feature (to me at least)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Found a new feature (to me at least)

I found a new feature by accident today to do with locking of the car. The car was locked and I opened the tailgate to get the dog in. I threw my jacket with keys onto the back seat of the car from the tailgate, i.e. without opening the car.

When I shut the top of the tailgate (glass part) it kept popping open and I thought it was a fault. Kept slamming it shut, then I realised what was happening. Had to crawl in the back of the car with the dog and retrieve my jacket in order to open the car to get in to drive. I thought with the key, newly placed inside the car it would let me open the door but obviously not.

This got me thinking whether if I had turned off my keyless entry I would have not been able to get into the car and the poor dog would have been stuck in it (on a baking hot day) until I could get my spare.

Anyway, a new feature to me and one I thought I would share and get your views on.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #19500151st Jun 2018 11:54 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

New to me too but just tried it and it did just that. Beeped at me and reopened the boot. Very smart!!

Post #19500332nd Jun 2018 6:29 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If you’d turned keyless entry off you wouldn’t have gotten as far as chucking the coat in, you’d have had to press the unlock button to open the tailgate, which would have opened the other doors (drivers door only first if set that way). Closing the rear door wouldn’t have locked anything, that would need a press of the lock button. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Was told when in for a service that one of their customers had done what you did, put their jacket in the boot with the key in the pocket. Then the boot locked itself and didn’t detect the key. The official LR way of resolving the situation was along these lines. ISTR it was a RRS2 and the car was in Prague or somewhere like that.

Post #19500412nd Jun 2018 7:15 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I don't have keyless. This feature is also active if you unlock the boot via the remote using the boot button and leave a key in. e.g. the car detects the remote in the car and knows that every other door is locked and thus you've locked the keys in. That's very smart. As I normally always unlock all doors this is unlikely to ever save my bacon, but cool none the less.

Post #19500752nd Jun 2018 9:07 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

A nice feature, the Discovery 4 I'm buying tomorrow is 2010 so I guess it does not have this feature? What do you think.

A little story that makes the value of this feature even clearer

In the US I once parked up in a very remote national park to make photographs in the dark. This park locks up each night and you cannot get out of it until dawn. So I made some pictures and during the process realised I needed warmer clothing from in the car and went back to get it, this was about 1 a.m. and not another soul was moving in the park.

As I closed the hatchback (it was a monster Tahoe, great SUV) I immediately realised I'd left the keys inside.

The park warden found me shivering at 2am and attempted to enter the car using his basic car opening kit, but the car was the latest model and he couldn't open it as it was almost impregnable to simple theft techniques.

After half an hour we realised that the vehicle was equipped with the onStar satellite tracking system. For a fee of £50 we phoned onStar and they remotely unlocked the car for me. Otherwise I'd have been waiting until 6am or longer to get into the car

So, although I tell myself I'm unlikely to be such a tit as to do it again... a feature like this is a nice one to have.

Post #195613322nd Jun 2018 12:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >