Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Frankenstein Snowflake

Click image to enlarge

Errrr.....isn't this the main point in the book ? Laughing Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19233887th Mar 2018 10:48 am
Pelyma

England 

And that’s why it is so expensive to get a degree, so much wasted on people who shouldn’t be doing one in the bfirst place.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #19233927th Mar 2018 11:00 am
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter

Yeah, but to know that would require the snowflakes to read something longer than a tweet, not gonna happen Laughing

Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #19233977th Mar 2018 11:06 am
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The universities see it as a cash cow, they run a course that isn't really relevant and get loads of applicants who pay for the university staff and facilities.

Nobody gains anything because they're still unemployable at the end of it, but they've put off the real world for another 3 years.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #19233987th Mar 2018 11:06 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I don't see that the students are misunderstood ...clearly journalists of The Sun are the ones who don't get it Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19234007th Mar 2018 11:09 am
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Agreed DG.

To be fair, it does seem that it’s the Sun making a big deal over it. The University course does seem to be aligned with the direction of the novel.

Shelley does write with empathy over the way the creation is not ‘born’ a monster but turned into one by ‘society’.

Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #19234037th Mar 2018 11:11 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Seems now that the swing is back towards apprenticeships these days irrelevant degrees seem to be
falling out of favour finally ,, encouraging rafts of average academic ability students to go on to uni just seemed just a racket to fiddle the employment figures and generate loads of cash for the unis to me.

When you look at the tuition hours they get for the money and knock off year 1 which purely seems to be a test of if you can survive 12 months of alcoholic poisoning unless your getting a top degree at the end
in really i cant see its worth it ........... and ive just put 2 kids through so i do know what its like
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #19234197th Mar 2018 12:00 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Apprenticeship take up has actually fallen in last twelve months it was reported yesterday. Really surprised at that Shocked

Total supporter of apprenticeships. Learn (physical skills as well as theoretical) and get paid. Back in my day a degree was a real difference, it was medical, legal, high-flying business types, etc. Now it’s as likely to be a burger-flipper, retail or other ‘normal’ jobs (not criticising those jobs).

What peeves me is a degree student moaning about an ex-apprentice who happens to be ‘better off’ than them and the footnote “they don’t even have a degree nor a loan to pay back” Rolling Eyes forgetting they had a choice too but just followed the herd.....

Post #19235427th Mar 2018 5:52 pm
Pelyma

England 

My son is doing an apprenticeship, he got 3 grade As at A level in Chemistry, Physics and Maths but decided to defer his university place as he gets his degree, gets paid a good wage and has no debt at the end of it. Needless to say he won’t be taking up his university place.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #19235467th Mar 2018 6:02 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

astonbuilder wrote:
Apprenticeship take up has actually fallen in last twelve months it was reported yesterday. Really surprised at that Shocked

Total supporter of apprenticeships. Learn (physical skills as well as theoretical) and get paid. Back in my day a degree was a real difference, it was medical, legal, high-flying business types, etc. Now it’s as likely to be a burger-flipper, retail or other ‘normal’ jobs (not criticising those jobs).

What peeves me is a degree student moaning about an ex-apprentice who happens to be ‘better off’ than them and the footnote “they don’t even have a degree nor a loan to pay back” Rolling Eyes forgetting they had a choice too but just followed the herd.....

In technology (IT) vocations I would actually welcome more apprenticeships but most people don’t seem to want to make the effort. Applied sciences students expect to be paid top bucks right out of school and, in my opinion, it is at least partly the fault of labor unions. Everyone wants to be a “prestigious” solution architect and draw nice clouds, nobody wants to mind the details and solve actual customer problems. One reason the industry does offshoring - rising costs in the West.

I started in the it/telecom business 20 years ago as a summer intern on the way to med school and kind of forgot about the doctoring part because the money was good, low bureaucracy (at the time), rapidly growing sector, great challenges, etc. A lot of others who started at the same time are also now in middle management or upper management positions without a degree just using the skills they have acquired working. While on topic, I enrolled to university a year ago because I was curious to learn more non-tech skills. Thumbs Up

Post #19235547th Mar 2018 6:20 pm
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

I’m similar Kajtzu. Been in IT for 30 years now, worked by way up to senior management. Never got a degree when I left school as there was no way my parents could afford it, and back then no student loans. If I had gone, it would have been civil engineering.

Get so annoyed at the kids with degrees in anything tha ge fast tracked by businesses because ‘they have shown they can learn‘. I call BS.

Best recruits I have ever had have learned in the job.

Like you, I did go and do a business degree a couple of years ago, but that was purely to tick off a personal goal - was not make a jot of difference to my career. Plus, it only took 6 months and hardly cost anything!
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #19235777th Mar 2018 7:03 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ditto, I’m going ex-apprentice draughtsman (using pencils and paper, Censored I’m THAT old Laughing ), educated to HNC level but did a masters degree as a mature student through BMW/Rover.

My son is ex-apprentice and work paid for him to start degree couple of years ago but reneged on deal this year (“why do we need shopfloor people with degrees Rolling Eyes ) so he’s self funding it to complete and is now no longer contractually tied to them so he’ll be ‘off’ soon, so their loss.

He is the one I alluded to in earlier post; he mortgaged a house at 21, drives decent motors and has cash in his pocket. My snotty step-kids moan all the Censored iing time about ‘how lucky he is’ and how hard done by they are paying exorbitant rent with a ‘mill-stone’ loan (at about 10 quid a month Rolling Eyes ), no luck involved at all Rolling Eyes

Last edited by astonbuilder on 7th Mar 2018 7:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19236027th Mar 2018 7:50 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The company I work for pays for my MBA degree which is really, really, really nice of them.

Post #19236037th Mar 2018 7:53 pm
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

astonbuilder wrote:

I have done both an apprenticeship and a degree, did both one day a week at collage/university and worked the other days for my chosen apprenticeship.
 Just remember:-
Amateurs built the Ark
Professionals built the titanic 

Post #19236807th Mar 2018 10:30 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

My son home now after 6 months in college up North as part of his apprenticeship. He's now working at Muller Wiseman in Bridgwater for 1 year before college again for 6months.

4 years in total manufacturing engineering apprenticeship, gets paid £16k a year, goes up by £1k each year, accommodation and food paid for while away at college Thumbs Up

He never wanted university, wanted to learn on the job working alongside grownups Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #19236987th Mar 2018 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >