Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Fraser Island - Australia Day Weekend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Fraser Island - Australia Day Weekend

I was wondering if any forum members are going to be on Fraser this coming weekend?
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #12268222nd Jan 2007 12:13 pm
smwilk

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I wish!! Crying or Very sad
 TDV6 D3 HSE
Previously D2 TD5 

Post #12301223rd Jan 2007 12:15 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Me too Sad

Had loads of fun in the sand over there a few years back, hoping too again one day Very Happy
 The End  
Post #12301723rd Jan 2007 12:18 am
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have just come back from there after 4 days.

Great time, dont forget to turn off the DSC in sand mode, makes a big difference in operation on the soft sand on those climbs.

Fuel was doing 16l per 100 kms.

Just got back to the mainland after driving from Noosa on the sand all the way to Fraser and back to Inskip Point.

Enjoy.

terry

Post #12311823rd Jan 2007 12:23 pm
Desert Traveller

This about my 20th visit to Fraser, have been going since 1980. The last visit was 15 hours after I'd picked up the D3. Drove out of the show room 3pm Friday and was on Fraser on the 6am barge. Had the D3 on Fraser even before the boss had seen it.
I was hoping that someone from the forum was over there, to chat about their experiences. There are only 2 D3s in Rocky / Yeppoon, the other one is owned a Real Estate agent to ferry around potential buyers, it never goes offroad.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
VW Eos TDI For Sale

Post #12348824th Jan 2007 11:53 am
turtle146

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Sand Driving

I'm new to this forum - just joined.
We've just bought our D3, had it for approx 2 weeks. After having it for 7 days, we took it to Bundaberg towing our 2500kg van (see posting on the other forum). Actually went up to see the turtles hatching.
While up there, a group of us decided to do a bit of beach driving, from Mon Repos down the coast and back.
Most of the trip was done in the sand dunes on the way down due to high tide, but we decided the tide was low enough on the way home to try the beach. Within the first 100 metres, the D3 started sinking and I had a total lack of sterring control. I stopped and reread the owners manual on how to drive in sand. I did every thing the book said. What it didn't say was "turn the DSC OFF!". We ended up with our nice new car in the surf, bogged to the axles. We were lucky we had friends travelling with us who were able to recover us before the water rose too high around the wheels. Its a shame I had to encounter this problem before I found this forum. Anyway it all ended fine.
I love the forum.
Thanks
 Called the D3 'Lotta' - lotta money, lotta electronics, lotta fun!!  
Post #1270433rd Feb 2007 12:34 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had similar experience here, decided to test it on a local beach but forgot about the DSC. Struggled a lot and proceeded to sink. Dug ramps in front of tyres and let air out and got out without any problem. It wasn't until I was on the highway that it dawned on me that I should have turned off the DSC. Duh. Rolling Eyes
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #1270513rd Feb 2007 1:25 pm
catweasel

turtle146, got any pics of the D3. haven't seen the Atacama sand yet

Post #1270633rd Feb 2007 2:20 pm
Desert Traveller

I had a private inquiry regarding sand driving and 17" tyres. Following were my comments.
I'm probably going to stick with the 18" wheels and tyres. I was talking about more extreme very soft sand. I also did not let my tyres down far enough. I believe that at 20psi you will get anywhere on Fraser or Moreton. I am not keen on going to 16psi unless you are stuck, too great a chance of rolling the tyre off the rim.
I also had a D2 (Td5). The difference between the standard tyres on the Td5 (733 mm) and the D3 (775 mm) helps overcome some of the problems with the 18" tyres. The sidewall height is only about 14mm less on the 255/60R18 tyres but it has a larger diameter.
The times I got stuck last weekend was because I was playing around with height, DSC and Terrian Response settings. Bottom line is leave it high range, switch off the DSC and don't really worry about the sand setting. The torque with the auto box will get you out of most problems. Also be quick with the offroad ride height when in soft sand as you slow to less than 50kph. At the standard height you could end up pushing sand in the sand ruts.
The only thing that will sway me to get 17" tyres is high speed driving on gravel roads with largish rocks. The 17" tyres will have more give in them when going over rocks,
I have also done the dollar numbers, a set of 17" tyres and rims is going to cost over $3k, I can afford to damage a lot of 18" tyres. Also the 18" tyres look better and drive better on bitumen roads where we spend most of our time.
Carry a snatch strap (to pull others out), a couple of rated 3.5 tonne shackles and get a air compressor.
Don't worry about the ocassional "I am stuck", I don't. It is all a learning experience and great fun. In most cases you can reverse out. By the way I averaged just over 20 litres / 100 kms for the 500 kms.

I have uploaded some photos to my gallery.
VW Eos TDI For Sale

Post #1272964th Feb 2007 7:36 am
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice pictures DT. Was there 2 xmas' ago in my Td5. Recognise the start of the track around Indian Head to Waddy Point. Did you get through OK? Heaps of bogged cars there when I was there - very soft sand at that spot. My Td5 was fine but got into a bit of strife when I stopped to pull out a Nissan X-Trail.
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #1273024th Feb 2007 9:42 am
Desert Traveller

d3syd, your memory is good.
The track was very soft, numerous vehicle needed to be snatched. A Suzuki even broke his front diff.
The D3 had no problems, the low clearance was the only real problem and as the D3 slowed to 50kph I raised the D3 to offroad height and walked across. The auto box is great in these situations.
VW Eos TDI For Sale

Post #1276195th Feb 2007 11:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >