Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Free TMC???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Free TMC???

The way I read this, I should get TMC with my £149 new DVD. Very Happy

http://www.navteq.com/buymaps/landroverexp...erSummer08

I know I won't Big Cry but this is misleading Evil or Very Mad .

Or have I got the wrong glasses on? Shocked

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #20798525th Sep 2007 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As I understand it, TMC broadcasts are nothing to do with the DVD - they are delivered in broadcasts via local/commercial radio stations, in much the same way that traffic announcements can be programmed to interrupt whatever else you're listening to on an RDS-equipped in-car radio. But, of course, I could be completely wrong Embarassed I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to confirm one way or the other...
 DGRR  
Post #20799725th Sep 2007 2:46 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

The TMC Access Codes are on the DVD. No Access Codes, no TMC.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20800325th Sep 2007 2:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

So does upgrading to this disc effectively enable TMC even if you haven't got the premium nav system? Certainly the ad suggests that's the case Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20800525th Sep 2007 3:01 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Access Codes

Mmmmm!

I did pay for TMC on my previous car - £250 special offer from Subaru. It knew where stuff was but was never really helpful BECAUSE you had to stop the vehicle to play SatNav (no 1791 codes). It just went "ping-pong" and told you exactly WHY you were in stationary traffic Evil or Very Mad . Rarely was there time to USE the info, nor did the SatNav ever re-route around the problem...

I understand TMC for the D3 is £800ish and therefore a waste of money; and I couldn't transfer the gizmo from Subaru to D3 - even though they are VERY similar.

It's just that that website seems to offer TMC with the new disc - impossible!

But I didn't know that the standard DVD would not have worked with a TMC unit, not having the access codes.

BTW all the traffic info for TMC comes from Classic FM and no other station

A
Post #20801525th Sep 2007 3:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:
So does upgrading to this disc effectively enable TMC even if you haven't got the premium nav system? Certainly the ad suggests that's the case Confused

I don't know, if the Premium System includes the FM Hook-Up? Without it you won't get TMC.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Last edited by DarrenG on 25th Sep 2007 4:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20804625th Sep 2007 4:30 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

TMC is only worth it to see the amusing little icons, they appear to have no actual meaning or relevance Laughing
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #20804825th Sep 2007 4:33 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Sorry, not sure I understand this question?

I have premium satnav on mine, and I have a little TMC symbol in the top left corner of the map. Most of the time this is struck through unless there is a problem on my planned route, or visible on the screen on an adjacent route (ie roadworks symbol or traffic). Once when there was particularly bad traffic it did re calculate the route automatically - although actually the incident had been cleared an the M25 was OK Evil or Very Mad but that was the fault of the TMC transmission signal, not the car.

Anyway, are you finding that if you install the new disc, the TMC doesn't work, or is it just a problem on lower spec sat navs?
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #20804925th Sep 2007 4:33 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Mine will also re-calculate - though very sporadically
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20805925th Sep 2007 4:48 pm
Alicatt

Belgium 

Won't find out until Friday how mine will work, but with my MG the TMC never worked in the UK with the MG-Rover disk (worked fine on the continent tho) but sticking a BMW disk in it worked fine and would recalculate on the fly

Post #20806225th Sep 2007 4:53 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

Alicatt wrote:
Won't find out until Friday how mine will work, but with my MG the TMC never worked in the UK with the MG-Rover disk (worked fine on the continent tho) but sticking a BMW disk in it worked fine and would recalculate on the fly

Which indicates the disc did not have UK TMC Access codes. On the Continent they have both free TMC services for which no access codes are required and other commercial services which do. The disc may have had access codes for certain continental services or more likely was just tuning in to the free services.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20806525th Sep 2007 5:02 pm
AndrewW

deeper and deeper...

Have you ever wished you hadn't started a new thread? Embarassed

My motive was to highlight the obviously incorrect impression their selling website gives that just buying a disc will give you TMC. ND agrees that it suggests it, and none of us know for certain (but it's very unlikely) if the TMC module is already in there just waiting for a disc. It wouldn't be there already if LR wanted £800 to "fit" it - or would it? Whistle

A
Post #20806725th Sep 2007 5:06 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I have standard (SE spec) nav, but I have often seen a TMC icon with a red diagonal cross though it on the top left of the screen. Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20806825th Sep 2007 5:13 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 
Re: deeper and deeper...

AndrewW wrote:
Have you ever wished you hadn't started a new thread? Embarassed

My motive was to highlight the obviously incorrect impression their selling website gives that just buying a disc will give you TMC. ND agrees that it suggests it, and none of us know for certain (but it's very unlikely) if the TMC module is already in there just waiting for a disc. It wouldn't be there already if LR wanted £800 to "fit" it - or would it? Whistle

A

That as the say is the $64,000 question! The FM receiver is a few pounds worth and could very possibly be integrated. It wouldn't surprise me if all that was required to activate TMC was the correct DVD!
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20807025th Sep 2007 5:25 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The TMC with a diagonal line through it, just means that it can't find the TMC station. In your satnav controls, you should have a TMC Info button, thenyou can make sure it searches for the TMC station (which is Classic FM in the UK). One tuned, the TMC icon should not have a diagonal line through it. If there is any relevant traffic information on your route, then the TMC sign turns red usually has a milage to the traffic problem.
If you have it set correctly, it will divert you around the problem. Mostly it seems to work OK in my experience. But then you never REALLY know if the original problem may have been cleared by the time you may have go there........
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #20807725th Sep 2007 5:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >