Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fridge/Freezer ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Green Land Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks for the freel2.com links Lightwater. Very useful Thumbs Up

We bought a 45L as the difference in size wasn't that great between 25, 35 & 45.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone for the 35L as the extra headroom would have made it easier to access fridge contents when I have the 'overland shelf' fitted on the middle row seats. Only do this when the dog crate is in the boot. Can't really open the lid enough to get anything big in or out! Embarassed

May have a go at building a slide when I get time but I think the rear doors probably don't open wide enough to allow this.

Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #22942133rd Jun 2022 1:36 pm
Register

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Elsewhere in the price range, has anyone had a positive experience of either Alpicool or Vevor 12v fridges?

Thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22942864th Jun 2022 10:37 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Elsewhere in the price range, has anyone had a positive experience of either Alpicool or Vevor 12v fridges?

TBH No... i dont have ANY experience with those brands

But in general experience, buy cheap chinese stuff and you get cheap stuff.. i have no problem with made in china!, but developed in china, made in china and chinese end-control has never be an succes story in my life and my social surroundings..

BUT more important is, what is your goal or type of use?
to a campsite with a 220V (or 110V) connection OR day trips i think that most brands will cool and freeze succesfully
BUT overlanding/remote areas / days without proper charging you battery's asks for top line products
3 day trips on one battery charge is a minimum for me..

my Snomaster classic does that at least.. one side freezing 18 deg Celcius, the other side cooling at 4 deg, celcius with arround 26-24 deg outside temp during daylight after 4 days the battery needs a charge.
OR plug in a solarpanel on a DC-DC charger when there is a SUN.. but again, the less current a fridge uses the better a solarpanel can keep up..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22942944th Jun 2022 11:08 am
Register

Harold

thanks for the clarity.

Plan is 10 weeks with everything 2 people need, SE to Croatia and then SW to Morocco.

As much wild as possible.

I don't want to hijack this thread and will post in the camping area on batteries, charging and a myriad of other things I have no knowledge of.

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943384th Jun 2022 7:02 pm
Motolab

Thumbs Up

Then you need a DC to DC charger imho, dual bettery setup, a high -end fridge/cooler (low current use) with top end isolation. Some (like snomaster and ARB) come with a extra isolation cover for use in the tropics/desert/hot areas

Also think about a solar panel/blanket, some DC to DC chargers, Like Redarc do have the connections build in with some “intelligent” switching

Not cheap, but worth the investment if you do such trips to remote areas and morocco
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22943464th Jun 2022 8:09 pm
Register

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the options.

I posted in the camping thread so hopefully more in there.

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943665th Jun 2022 5:59 am
Lightwater

Australia 

Our last trip for 3 months around Australia, we didn't use our solar panels once. Our fridge uses about a maximum of 15AH/24h. With 4 x 26AH (due to space around the car) auxiliary batteries.

A 50L fridge won't use much more if you get a cover for it & stuff a sleeping foam mat to add insulation between the fridge & cover. Two layers should be possible.

So 4 days is about the maximum. Our DC-DC chargers (2 x 9amp Victron, as many as you need in parallel, or get a larger one) charge when we drive. There is a long enough drive to the next camping spot for us.

We have 120 watts custom built panel using 6 x 20 (2 in series) watt Projecta panels & a Victron 100/20 Bluetooth controller.

2 DC-DC chargers stacked on top of each other at bottom of photo, above them is the Victron MPPT 100/20 custom extra heatsinks front & back.

I have used 6awg wire everywhere, it is a bit overkill, but we don't have the luxury of Discovery space. So we are trying to squeeze every last drop out of the panels (136 watts was with water cooling).
Click image to enlarge

If you are looking at buying a blanket & the advertising suggests more than 150 watts per square metre, they are lying. Also a lot of the no name brands glass panels have unrealistic figures. I have seen panels that when you calculate the area they are suggesting 400 watts per square metre. 170 is as much as you will get.

Always put the solar controller near the battery, if it is stuck on the panel, bypass it. It's in the wrong location.
 Visitor - Freelander owner  
Post #22943855th Jun 2022 8:45 am
BazH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Cheers everyone, loads of info, and some great pointers, got a much better grip on what will work for me.

Now time to see what deal I can find on a fridge Neutral
 D3 TDV6 SE '06
D2 TD5 ES '02
Defender 90 300 TDI '96
Everything Ford CV 

Post #22945876th Jun 2022 7:33 pm
Lightwater

Australia 

If using a AGM or Gel auxiliary battery don't panic about discharging 80, 90 or 100% of its capacity every now and then due to inclement weather.

If you look at data on battery cycles, they should give the number of cycles for say 30%, 50% & 80% discharge. If you multiply the number cycles at the various percentage discharges, the total life kWh is not a lot of difference.

So if the battery says 300 cycles at 80% discharge & you do this once a month over 5 years, it's only 60 cycles. Most of the time you probably only discharge 30% of the time. If you discharge it 100% once or twice a year so be it. The battery is not going to drop off a cliff at the end of it's cycles.

So use the battery when needed, you will replace it in 5 years anyway. The key to lead acid batteries longer life is to charge them after use & to keep them topped up if not using them for longer periods.

I have a Victron 10 amp (probably would get a 15 amp charger if I was buying again) Bluetooth (nice to know voltage & amps) charger on the garage wall. Also bought their extension leads which make life easier.
Post #22946066th Jun 2022 10:19 pm
Motolab

Quote:
The battery is not going to drop off a cliff at the end of it's cycles.

To get things straight the 12v limit = 100% empty….on a 12v battery

I have seen lots of starter batteries dead within half a day due to sulphated plates…after getting below 12v
Especially “modern” or better cheap batteries
Deep cycle batteries are not invented (and more expensive) for no reason
The more pure (and the more) lead the more resistant against deepcycle , but cheap /bargain batteries tend to have not much high quality lead in them…

Don’t want to get into a yes and no discussion, just think people should prepare well when going remote, with a risk of getting lost for a while, experience a breakdown etc. The Morocco desert is quite big in my experience (and sometimes quite hot tbh, i have seen 51 deg celcius)
 Best regards
Harold

Post #22946096th Jun 2022 11:16 pm
Lightwater

Australia 

You can also get a Bluetooth temperature sensor for the batteries depending on which controller you are using it will adjust the voltage for the temperature.

Some of the controllers have a sensor in them, that's why it's better to have the controller near the batteries, apart from voltage drop issues.

We have had 47°C in the outback, but in the car where our auxiliary batteries are, also not near heat sources. The batteries stay cool, actually probably a bit too cool as they are near the air conditioning vents.

In the morning it can also be single digit temperature in the desert then a scorcher in the afternoon. So battery inside stays a more stable temperature.
Post #22946167th Jun 2022 3:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >