Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front ARB Bush replacement with pictures LR015339
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
fredouille

France 

very interresting thanks a lot!
I want to do the same on my 2005 RRS w/o ACE but it looks like it is an other ref... (LR018347)
may be bar diameter is different...
thanks!
fred

Post #86234323rd Nov 2011 9:53 am
Gezmondo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks to your post i fitted poly bushes front and rear at weekend, no dramas although i would recommend new bolts for rear bushes as stated earlier ! Cheers guys just rear discs to do now ?
Razz

This has transformed my Disco ! Superb firm ride now .
 2005 HSE  
Post #8783313rd Jan 2012 6:10 pm
jondean74

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Indus SilverLR3
Re: Front ARB Bush replacement with pictures LR015339

ridgeback_moor wrote:
Next job, both front lower wishbones Rolling Eyes

Did you ever replace your lower wishbones? I have a 2005 LR3 and rear bushing is leaking. I felt confident to do this myself thinking it would be as easy as my BMW, but I'm learning that I might be better off replacing the entire control arm (both sides).

Have you come across any good step-by-step instructions. Yours was excellent and I was hoping to find a similar write-up with such good detail.

Thanks!

Jon

Post #8785234th Jan 2012 7:36 am
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

With regards to the fuel cooler, I tried a 10MM socket. I then managed to drop it and it "landed" on the plastic gearbox shield. Having decided that I wanted my socket back, I removed the six bolts and the shield and this gave me plenty of access to the fuel cooler securing bolt.

The nearside was pretty easy, but I think it depends on the type/design of your chosen socket set.

Anyway, noisy and annoying knocking on uneven surfaces has gone.

Thanks again! Thumbs Up

Post #88953828th Jan 2012 2:34 am
AndrePB

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks for a great guide, really made the job easy for DIY.
Keep up the great work !

Post #93577227th May 2012 2:30 pm
Fogga

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I did mine today. But I removed the 3 bolts on the front diff and turned the arm sideways on the bush. Then you can get a proper socket on the upper nut without any problems. And as Mike said, the bolt for the fuel cooler is off in 15sec if you just remove the cover to the gearbox because then you can reach it from above.

Post #93749331st May 2012 10:52 pm
Mark Y

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the guide, just replaced mine at local garage, £17 for a pair of nice red polybush's and 1 1/2hrs work at the local garage and all the knocking and play is gone Thumbs Up

Post #96606415th Aug 2012 11:00 am
sirdeck

I replaced the front ARB bushes this weekend. The information provided by Disco_Mikey and and Ridgeback Moor in their "How to's" was really helpful and was much appreciated. And also many thanks to Nick (TLO) from Yeovil for supplying the parts.

It cured the quite loud and annoying knocking/clunk I had coming from the front.

The set up on my LHD D3 was bit different than in the guide: on the side with the fuel cooler, the upper nut was a bolt, which made it a bit easier, because I could just slip the bracket over the lower bolt and push it in (don't forget to "grease" it with dish washing liquid), then inserting the upper bolt. Getting the fuel cooler off wasn't that difficult (just had to look into Disco_Mikey's guide to see where the 10mm bolt was exactly located - and used a ratched spanner which really helped).

Getting to the other ARB was indeed trickey due to the diff mount. Fortunately the nuts were not stuck too bad and I could manage to release the top nut with the tool combination in the pic below (3/8 ratchet with flexible/tilting extension). Once the nut was loose I could use my hand. The ratched with the tilting extension may however only be useable if the nuts are not totally seized/rusted, because the amount of power/torque one can generate with this combo is limited and therefore might not work for everyone. Thought I might share my "solution" anyway.

The most important "tool" however was the dish washing liquid. Worked like a charm! I first tried it without it and almost gave up. "Greasing" the new bush really help getting the bracket in place.

Next weekend will be the rear ARBs.

Will also get new compressor and wheel bearings today (not doing it by myself, fortunatly still part of some backlog extended guarantee work)

Regards from Germany

P.S.: Didn't have any ramp therefore used some old D3 rims to drive on (axle stands to secure it as well). In extended offroad height, the room to work was more than enough.

Post #97004527th Aug 2012 10:33 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Just come in from doing mine this afternoon. Thanks to Ridgeback_Moor (and Disco_Mikey) for your excellent guide(s) and everybody else who contributed their experiences in doing this job. Thumbs Up

As Mike767 says, removing the fuel cooler is dead easy if you remove the plastic gearbox shield (it's only held on by 6 x M10 bolts). You can get a 10mm socket, 10mm ratchet spanner, whatever you want in there to remove the fuel cooler once the gearbox shield is off.

The nearside upper nut was not half as bad as I was expecting it to be (I did that one first!). I used a Halfords 3/8 18mm socket connected to a 75mm wobble extension bar which was connected to my 3/8 ratchet (breaker bar first).

The car does need to be completely level to do this job with both wheels on the ground. If it's not, you'll have problems locating the bush clamps back onto the protruding bolts. I had to compensate for the gentle slope on my driveway by lifting one side of the car slightly with my jack but I would recommend having it completely flat to begin with.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #105767418th Feb 2013 5:06 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

My D3 had its 90k mile service today. Whilst it was in, I asked my indy to check my work to ensure that I'd fitted the front and rear ARB bushes correctly. He wasn't concerned by how I'd fitted them, no problem there, but he did observe that these newer design ARB bushes don't seem to fit as well as the older ones did.

According to my invoice from TLO, I fitted:

2 x LR015339 bushes on the front, and
    2 x LR015336 on the rear

The difference in design is apparent from the photos in this post. I suppose my questions are directed at those who replace these bushes on a regular basis (Disco_Mikey, Steve Norman, and others) but, do they all look as though they do not fit quite right?

I'll try to take photographs tomorrow but - on the front, at least - the bush just doesn't seem to sit square on the chassis and it doesn't seem to wrap completely all the way around the ARB like the old ones did.

EDIT - Photos added:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #10669455th Mar 2013 9:32 pm
IroningMan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just done this on my 08.

On the O/S the fuel cooler is held on by a single 10mm/M6 bolt, which is easy to access top-down over the chassis rail.

On the N/S the upper nut on the ARB bush clamp could be reached with a 3/8-drive socket, wobble bar and 50mm extension - no way to get a torque wrench on it, though, so it's done-up as tightly as possible with the same combination, which won't be far off.

The bushes that came out were well-worn, polished on the inside and of the thin-based original pattern: the new ones are the thick base type.

I changed the drop links while I was in there - seemed worth the effort for the small amount that they cost and disconnecting them first made it very simple to get the clamps and bushes back on - the hardest part was keeping the upper balljoint still while torquing it up: a 'straight-through' torque wrench would be very useful.

I did have help - apparently I work better under close supervision.

Click image to enlarge

Post #110894326th May 2013 8:12 pm
rovervirus

Germany 

getting help from this board since some time,
i like to pay something back:

See post here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1159058.html#1159058

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Link replaced duplicate post

Post #115905417th Sep 2013 6:56 pm
richardch

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

Looks like this could be the source of my front knocking, I have a tabby cat just like that called Scooby, where do I order I the new version of Front ARB please ??

Post #11958291st Dec 2013 3:01 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

It's only the bushes that need replacing, not the ARB itself. Parts numbers below:

Woolmeister wrote:

According to my invoice from TLO, I fitted:

2 x LR015339 bushes on the front, and
    2 x LR015336 on the rear

Order from "The Large One" on here. Site sponsor and parts manager at Yeovil Land Rover. Or order from Advanced Factors here:

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/front-ant...-255-c.asp

Both highly recommended suppliers of parts for our D3s.

Steve

Post #11958411st Dec 2013 3:40 pm
richardch

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Steve just ordered from Advanced Factors let see if this makes any difference

Post #11958701st Dec 2013 5:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >