Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Front CV Fail - Twice in 30 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Roob

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Russell - Sorry if it's confusing, my terminology may be a bit mixed as some of this is new to me.

Assuming inner CV is the end that pokes into the diff, an outer cv is the end that pokes into the wheel end...

- First time round, from what we know, the outer cv dropped out and put a hole in the wheel. While being dragged backwards by a tractor whilst in neutral, the rest of the shaft plus part of the inner cv just fell out on to the ground. Leaving what you see in the "Day 1" pictures.

- Second time around, the outer cv dropped out and the whole assembly just rested where you see it in the "Day 3" pictures. The whole lot is still sitting there, with the inner CV in one piece. I haven't tried to pull it out yet.

However, am I right in understanding there is no retaining mechanism as such on the inner cv, and during maintenance, once the outer CV is removed from the hub assembly, you can just pull the whole lot (outer, shaft and inner cv) out of the diff? Or should more come out on the inner end than what you see in the Day 1 pictures?

Post #138135429th Nov 2014 10:52 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In any car, there is generally no way the CV joints can come apart while the shaft is fitted between the diff and hub. The shaft is trapped in position between the two.
Now if the outer joint has come apart, the shaft has moved away from the hub. I think this is where you need to look. I can't see the wishbone bushes being so worn to allow the joint come adrift.
I can't see why our how this can happen. Unless the shaft is an incorrect length?
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #138139530th Nov 2014 12:24 am
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

My bet is first time outer cv joint was repaired

The new one was not clipped back onto the driveshaft properly

👍👍

Post #138139730th Nov 2014 12:54 am
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Roob wrote:

However, am I right in understanding there is no retaining mechanism as such on the inner cv, and during maintenance, once the outer CV is removed from the hub assembly, you can just pull the whole lot (outer, shaft and inner cv) out of the diff? Or should more come out on the inner end than what you see in the Day 1 pictures?

The inner CV joint has a spring clip that when inserted into the differential locks the inner end of the joint in place. You can see the spring clip in this picture

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #138152930th Nov 2014 12:50 pm
Roob

I spoke to the man who did the original repair. I had the expected "I've never had any problems before", "I don't see how I could have missed anything" etc.

We have agreed that the parts will be inspected by my local garage, and if it's deemed it's a likely manufacturing defect and failure, the parts will be boxed up and send back to him in the Isle of Wight, where he will pursue a claim on the warranty, and refund me the cost of the parts.

It's going to a family friends garage, he has done every car i've had since I was 17, so I trust him to find out whats going on. It's being picked up this afternoon on a low loader, as my Series 3 currently only has a tow ball on, and i don't fancy towing a Disco 3 with just that!

Post #13826272nd Dec 2014 1:19 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Do you have the part numbers of the new items fitted?
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #13826442nd Dec 2014 1:50 pm
Roob

boringoldgit - Nothing is written on the invoice, but I believe it would be TDJ500030 for the CV joint, although the invoice says it was £110.78 + VAT, so sounds more like the shaft and cv which is LR025873. However when I looked underneath, it looked very much like the old shaft, i.e. surface rust etc Confused

Then there was the gaiter kit: TDR500100 at £42.56 + VAT.

The garage finished the repairs on Monday, and found that the outer CV was all still there and together, but the shaft had fallen out. Reason being, the retaining cir-clip was missing. This is the big one that sits in the groove on the splined end of the shaft, and then pops outwards into placeonce slipped in the cv to lock the shaft in place. The float required for suspension travel etc then takes place at the diff end from what I understand.

They were unable to find any trace of the cir-clip, i.e. if it had broken apart, there should have been metal fragments in the grease, but despite sifting through the grease, they didn't find anything. These are high tensile rings that require an almighty smack to remove the shaft normally.

Oddly, if the cir-clip was in fact never installed, the drive shaft should have fallen out almost straight away. Yet I managed 30 miles.

For recovery from my house, a new gaiter kit with cir-clip, extensive testing including a good drive, and a repeat check on the ramps, it cost me £200.90. Pretty good I think. Props to http://www.gbmotorsltd-ipswich.co.uk/

I had a good talk with the mechanic, and we can't figure out the story behind the cir-clip.
The guy who did the first repair is now in Australia for 5 weeks, so I can only chase this via email.

Let the head scratching commence.

Post #13864589th Dec 2014 8:18 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If he was an Aussie, he wouldn't have done anything wrong. Wink

If he's visiting Oz, I hope that he doesn't do any mechanicing while here. Shocked

On a more serious note, what's the latest on this saga?

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #141082919th Jan 2015 10:23 pm
Roob

Hi all,

I was going back through my posts and felt I should probably conclude this (I completely forgot).

The long and short of it is, I got a full refund for the work carried out by the garage in IOW. I wrote a very stern letter and pushed on the safety aspect (can you imagine it falling out at 70mph?!). I also advised he make contact with his solicitor...

I did also enquire with the IOW highways department about the condition of their byway, in an attempt to try and recuperate some costs. The law states the byway must be passable to a variety of modes of transport....including horse and carriage. I am 100% sure they would not have got the carriage down there. They concluded that their responsibility for the byway ended just before where I broke down. Even though it's all one road!

So, I sucked it up, learnt from experience and still have the same D3. Since this it's had the transmission overhauled plus a new TC, body off and glow plugs drilled out and replaced. It's cost me an arm and a leg, but I still love it and have no plans to sell it.

The CV / Driveshaft is all still in place and has seen plenty of action with no problems.

I can hear a clonking at full lock slow speeds though, front diff next probably! Big Cry

Post #18118706th May 2017 1:21 pm
Roob

To follow up on this. The same CV failed again in January 2018 after a green lane run. The whole lot has been replaced now and to date is still working.

Still, there's plenty of other jobs that need doing to it...

Post #20053352nd Dec 2018 4:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >