Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Front Differential oil leak.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
docjack

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

can anyone tell me where all breather pipes end in disco 3 ?

Post #7132857th Nov 2010 7:40 pm
vnitos

2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

docjack wrote:
Hi Roel,
I was just told that both front and rear diffs are leaking oil.
Did you cut off blocked part of breather pipe and then put on a filter (is this a fuel filter?) or did you replace a whole breather pipe.
Is it possible that the same applies to rear diff?.
In South Africa instead of repairs LR workshop told me to replace both diffs as they do not repair them ?!, lots of money as I am out ot warranty.
Thanks
Jack

Jack,

I had both front & rear diffs replaced before 75000kms. took the car to LR Centurion for holiday check and guess what - front diff is leaking oil. workshop manager was quick to offer to give me a quote for the work to be done, but when I told him that they've replaced the diff not even 2 months ago, he told me that it will be okay to go on holiday with the car and book it in when i am back.

if i were you i would take it up with LRSA as the problem with the diffs are not isolated cases, and get them to pay up as somehow it seems to be either a design-fault or poor quality material or both, and that they should repair/replace it at their expense. if they "hardegat" i will make sure that all the forums and media are informed of their poor quality and service. If need be escalate it as high as possible, even to the owners (Tata) of the Land Rover brand

Post #73197615th Dec 2010 3:41 pm
docjack

Hi Vinitos,
Thanks for your advice, as it turns out there are bad mechanics and not necessarily bad cars. After all the drama with LR Umhlanga I have taken my car to "The Centre" Jag and LR garage in Milne rd Durban. Their verdict was very interesting:
1. Front diff negligible sweating through axel seal, checked again after 2000km and they told me to forget about it, no repair needed.
2. Rear diff leak was caused by negligent fittment of actuator at Umhlanga, lose bolts etc hence leak and inability to update software, needless to say nothing wrong with diff itself, to refit the same actauator and update software cost me just over R 1000, huge saving.

My impression from this experience is that main service stations chose easiest options and simply replace parts, they perhaps get kickbacks from suppliers, this might be fine when under warranty but when not it is not only unethical and unprofessional but also expensive. I think that LR's bad reputation regarding reliability might have something to do with it too.
By the way after few weeks of being very happy with my car I have found pool of water on front passenger floor following heavy rain-caused by blocked aircon drain pipes?!, I thought LR was rather water proof.
What can I say it is LR afterall and I love it despite all the crap.
regards
Jack

Post #73198815th Dec 2010 4:12 pm
vnitos

2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

docjack wrote:
Hi Vinitos,
Thanks for your advice, as it turns out there are bad mechanics and not necessarily bad cars. After all the drama with LR Umhlanga I have taken my car to "The Centre" Jag and LR garage in Milne rd Durban. Their verdict was very interesting:
1. Front diff negligible sweating through axel seal, checked again after 2000km and they told me to forget about it, no repair needed.
2. Rear diff leak was caused by negligent fittment of actuator at Umhlanga, lose bolts etc hence leak and inability to update software, needless to say nothing wrong with diff itself, to refit the same actauator and update software cost me just over R 1000, huge saving.

My impression from this experience is that main service stations chose easiest options and simply replace parts, they perhaps get kickbacks from suppliers, this might be fine when under warranty but when not it is not only unethical and unprofessional but also expensive. I think that LR's bad reputation regarding reliability might have something to do with it too.
By the way after few weeks of being very happy with my car I have found pool of water on front passenger floor following heavy rain-caused by blocked aircon drain pipes?!, I thought LR was rather water proof.
What can I say it is LR afterall and I love it despite all the crap.
regards
Jack

Hi
glad to hear you were sorted out at reasonable expense. I agree with you - when I told LR that it sounds that there is something wrong with the diff, they told me that its the tyres - only after i got the dealer principal involved they acknowledged that it is the diff and it was replaced.

some time ago i complained about the vehicle being sluggish, the workshop foreman told me that according to their computer, there is nothing wrong with the car. when i asked him if he drove the vehicle he just looked at me.

it is a pity that this is the case, as the vehicle is amazing, space, luxury, ability, comfort, but let down by their workshop. This is my first Disco ever and I am quite impressed with it, but not with the support.

By the way, where did you say are those air con drain pipes located?

Keep well and enjoy the holidays

Post #73199015th Dec 2010 4:26 pm
docjack

Vinitos,
It is my first LR too and I think it represents perfect balance between day to day car and off road vehicle.

With regards to poor service I think that we should simply post our level of customer satisfaction on this forum and perhaps SA 4x4 forum. Simple 0-10 scale of satisfaction and name of the workshop. I should perhapsl start new thread called Score your LR workshop experience? What do you think?

I have no idea where those aircon drainage pipes are as they were cleaned at "The Centre", but I can tell you that ingress of water into a cab is quite common (searched topic in the net). I have recently done trip to Namibia and covered about 3000km on dirt roads, so it is possible that dust might have been a culprit.
It is worth checking/cleaning during services as it is not fun to run blowing heater in Summer in Durban.
All the best to you too
Jack

Post #73231916th Dec 2010 6:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >