DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Front suspension up rear down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RadioRay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3
Front suspension up rear down

Sorry couldn't find answers on forum

Not sure how my sons discovery 3 got into this position. Front suspension fully extended, rear not extended, center console height shows 🔒. The rear will not rise and front will not lower by height control switch. It was on rear axle stands, front wheel on ground will trying to fix EPB fault, the suspension was at a low height when I began. How do I rest the 🔒 or get into a leave condition again.

Post #23553418th Dec 2023 8:40 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure I have an answer to that, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

I am guessing that you didn't have a scan tool to put it into "build mode" before jacking it up or take out the relevant fuse, so the suspension has levelled the car and then thrown a wobbly when you let it back down. If you don't have a scan tool that can re-set the suspension, then I'd try taking the fuse out for a minute or two, or doing a hard re-set by disconnecting the battery (search on here for advice on how best to perform the hard reset). Not sure if that will work, but it is always worth a try.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23553759th Dec 2023 7:43 am
RadioRay

Thanks, Disco are all new to me. Must have missed the bit about taking the fuse out, seems strange that the back didn't extend as well, I'll know next time to remove the fuse if I ever get it level.

Post #23554169th Dec 2023 4:57 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Surely it’s just locked in access height? Try holding up on the height switch see if it comes out of it. I don’t understand how it would be locked in access height unless that’s how you left it but stranger things have happened.

Post #23554389th Dec 2023 9:40 pm
Nc1989

Just re read your original post, if you’ve lowered it to the lowest height setting before starting work I bet you’ve accidentally locked it (by holding down the switch in lowering position). Just hold the switch to raise and it should unlock and then start adjusting the suspension again. They often need to have the switch cycled to kick everything off again after jacking.

Post #23554399th Dec 2023 9:43 pm
RadioRay

I did try lowing it a number of times, if rain stays off I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks

Post #23554439th Dec 2023 9:59 pm
Nc1989

It’s locked in the lowest ride height selection, make sure you try raising it not lowering it. Need to hold the switch in the raise position to get it out of the locked state.

Post #23554489th Dec 2023 10:42 pm
Worms

My understanding of all this (which could well be wrong!) was that the air suspension was introduced, in part, as an alternative answer to the Boge self-levelling unit that was fitted to Range Rovers and some Defenders. This meant that the vehicle would remain level front-to-back when towing. If you put a heavy load on the back of the D3, the front will drop to compensate and vice versa. So if you jack up the rear, without removing the fuse (or otherwise locking the suspension), the front will raise to compensate.

My thought was that for some reason, RadioRay's car has simply not re-adjusted once it was lowered again. The rear sensors might have gone beyond their normal range of travel and the front are unable to compensate. It should sort all this out on its own, but if it has locked the system down, it might need some form of external ECU input or re-set to get it working again.

Radioray, have you tried taking it out on the road and simply (carefully) driving it? I think it sometimes sorts itself out over the first few hundred metres.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #235545410th Dec 2023 8:24 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Make sure the two rear height sensor's are not seized on the shafts, they maybe stuck and the car still thinks the rear wheels are at full height.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #235545810th Dec 2023 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
von Horst

Sweden 

Worms wrote:
My understanding of all this (which could well be wrong!) was that the air suspension was introduced, in part, as an alternative answer to the Boge self-levelling unit that was fitted to Range Rovers and some Defenders. This meant that the vehicle would remain level front-to-back when towing. If you put a heavy load on the back of the D3, the front will drop to compensate and vice versa. So if you jack up the rear, without removing the fuse (or otherwise locking the suspension), the front will raise to compensate.

My thought was that for some reason, RadioRay's car has simply not re-adjusted once it was lowered again. The rear sensors might have gone beyond their normal range of travel and the front are unable to compensate. It should sort all this out on its own, but if it has locked the system down, it might need some form of external ECU input or re-set to get it working again.

Radioray, have you tried taking it out on the road and simply (carefully) driving it? I think it sometimes sorts itself out over the first few hundred metres.

Hi! which fuse are we talking about?

Post #23573971st Jan 2024 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Worms

I was talking about the suspension fuse in the engine bay fuse box - from memory this is F26, but check the fuse box lid in case yours is different.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23575633rd Jan 2024 1:33 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It is the front that is the problem as that would have been extended to try and level the car. Please put it on all four wheels and bounce the front up and down, then as suggested take it for a run.

Post #23576364th Jan 2024 10:07 am
von Horst

Sweden 

Actually thats what I did, I gave up all the trying to mess around, took it for half hour ride and Voila, it sorted itself out!

Post #23578105th Jan 2024 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >