Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

fuel burning heater on V8???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
fuel burning heater on V8???

Are v8 equipped with the fbh??
  
Post #187116922nd Oct 2017 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Narpy
Site Supporter 


Member Since: 18 Jul 2011
Location: Stockport
Posts: 6128

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Doubtful.
The FBH is fitted to diesel variants to supplement the heating as the TDV6 loses little energy in the form of heat. Wink

Buy one, retro fit it. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread 
 
Post #187117022nd Oct 2017 3:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery
 


Member Since: 22 Dec 2009
Location: Maidstone
Posts: 3924

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I bought an ex d3 v8 petrol fbh for use on another car, it was really cheap Thumbs Up
 No Illeism here.  
Post #187118422nd Oct 2017 4:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I just bought one
Not sure where it should be or how i check if i have it or not???
  
Post #187119022nd Oct 2017 5:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
kajtzu
 


Member Since: 10 Aug 2017
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 194

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: fuel burning heater on V8???

disco_v8 wrote:
Are v8 equipped with the fbh??


It is not a FBH like diesels use but instead consumes electricity - again something that is very common in colder countries. There is a coolant heater by LR which can be had as a 110 V (NAS) or 230 V version (pretty much intended for Scandinavia). I would just use the aftermarket ones (see below) unless car is already fitted with a LR OE piece.

Aftermarket, DEFA and Calix have complete and very similar kits also for D3 V8 - from coolant heaters to cabin heaters. Although the latter’s use is frowned upon if you live in condominiums because of the power draw.

http://www.calix.se/en/products/search-pro...1102588710

http://www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/find_your_engine_heater/

I would not hesitate recommending either one - both are extremely common and well known heater manufacturers. I looked into this very recently so I had my notes nearby Smile
  
Post #187121322nd Oct 2017 6:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
kajtzu
 


Member Since: 10 Aug 2017
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 194

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

For the LR part,

230 V heater is part 3601559
110 V heater is either VUB504670 or VUB504670 (something about harness or without harness)

You will also need a cord, no idea about its part number.

When installed it replaces the coolant drain plug.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...n_plug.pdf
  
Post #187121822nd Oct 2017 6:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great info kajtzu, will look into both options. I have just checked under bonnet, I don't hv one. I was planning a trip to Nordkapp in winter so wanted to start preparing the car. You must have some experience with cold climates, do v8 need anything else for Nordkapp trip you think??
  
Post #187125922nd Oct 2017 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 


Member Since: 06 Nov 2006
Location: In the Clubhouse
Posts: 20796

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Petrols don’t generally have these as they run hotter than the diesels and the fuel is less prone to cold weather issues.
However, the full fat range rovers can have them on the petrol versions. So they definitely do exist. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling


Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 
 
Post #187127022nd Oct 2017 8:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I def don't have it
  
Post #187127622nd Oct 2017 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
kajtzu
 


Member Since: 10 Aug 2017
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 194

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

disco_v8 wrote:
Great info kajtzu, will look into both options. I have just checked under bonnet, I don't hv one. I was planning a trip to Nordkapp in winter so wanted to start preparing the car. You must have some experience with cold climates, do v8 need anything else for Nordkapp trip you think??


I can make a few generic recommendations:

Make sure the battery is in good condition
Make sure you have good spark plugs
Check that your coolant really is -35 oC or thereabouts
Don’t dilute the windshield wiper fluid (in the winter the stuff I use goes to -25, not that I would use the wipers)
If you intend on using wipers make sure they’re not frozen to the screen before doing so, the rubber will get Censored
Make sure the heater works
Not sure what the DRL rules for nordkapp are but I would suggest having front (low beam) and rear lights on at all times since it is fairly dusky at all times
Do have good tires. I would assume the locals use studs but since they’re probably banned where you’re at you need to make do with proper traction winter tires
Dress warm at all times even when you think you’re not going to be outside for more than 15 minutes
Make sure you have thermally insulated working gloves if you intend to do anything with the car. Pretty much any gas station should sell these for a few bucks
Get 1-2 brushes to get the snow away if you park outside, depending on wheee you are a snow shovel might also be good
Check flashlights/beacons, the cold affects their charge too
Put silicone on all rubber seals (door, trunk, etc.) that you expect to be able to open. They’ll freeze and the door is then inoperable without applying significant violence
Make sure your spare key really works (if you’re out of charge and need to enter the car w/o working remote). There is antifreeze for locks.

Other than that good luck and have fun Thumbs Up
  
Post #187127722nd Oct 2017 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
kajtzu
 


Member Since: 10 Aug 2017
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 194

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you’re just going for one trip I wouldn’t bother with spending money on a heater. Assuming hotel they probably would have inside parking in a garage.

You’ll almost always be able to start the car if your battery has sufficient charge. I’ve started Petrol cars in -29 without having done anything special in advance.
  
Post #187127822nd Oct 2017 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

wow great info, thanks! I was also planning to keep the car completely stock with obv fully functioning fluids etc but no heater for Nordkap. Maybe in the future when i will do my Transsiberia trip in winter, I may need the heater.
Regarding silicone on the rubber, you mean something like Vaseline or actual silicone ??? Rolling Eyes
  
Post #187134823rd Oct 2017 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 


Member Since: 11 May 2006
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 56376

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

kajtzu wrote:
disco_v8 wrote:
Great info kajtzu, will look into both options. I have just checked under bonnet, I don't hv one. I was planning a trip to Nordkapp in winter so wanted to start preparing the car. You must have some experience with cold climates, do v8 need anything else for Nordkapp trip you think??


I can make a few generic recommendations:

Make sure the battery is in good condition
Make sure you have good spark plugs
Check that your coolant really is -35 oC or thereabouts
Don’t dilute the windshield wiper fluid (in the winter the stuff I use goes to -25, not that I would use the wipers)
If you intend on using wipers make sure they’re not frozen to the screen before doing so, the rubber will get Censored
Make sure the heater works
Not sure what the DRL rules for nordkapp are but I would suggest having front (low beam) and rear lights on at all times since it is fairly dusky at all times
Do have good tires. I would assume the locals use studs but since they’re probably banned where you’re at you need to make do with proper traction winter tires
Dress warm at all times even when you think you’re not going to be outside for more than 15 minutes
Make sure you have thermally insulated working gloves if you intend to do anything with the car. Pretty much any gas station should sell these for a few bucks
Get 1-2 brushes to get the snow away if you park outside, depending on wheee you are a snow shovel might also be good
Check flashlights/beacons, the cold affects their charge too
Put silicone on all rubber seals (door, trunk, etc.) that you expect to be able to open. They’ll freeze and the door is then inoperable without applying significant violence
Make sure your spare key really works (if you’re out of charge and need to enter the car w/o working remote). There is antifreeze for locks.

Other than that good luck and have fun Thumbs Up


Hence why I prefer to go in summer. Whistle Yawn

Click image to enlarge
 

11 D4 HSE - just Dee, no more Double Disco. Sad 
 
Post #187135023rd Oct 2017 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
disco_v8
 


Member Since: 22 Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 83

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

where is the fun in that!! Laughing
  
Post #187135423rd Oct 2017 10:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
kajtzu
 


Member Since: 10 Aug 2017
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 194

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

disco_v8 wrote:
wow great info, thanks! I was also planning to keep the car completely stock with obv fully functioning fluids etc but no heater for Nordkap. Maybe in the future when i will do my Transsiberia trip in winter, I may need the heater.
Regarding silicone on the rubber, you mean something like Vaseline or actual silicone ??? Rolling Eyes


Google CRC 808 Silicone, I think you can get it from halfrauds in UK or other places that sell CRC products. The bottles that are sold here usually come with a brush integrated to it so all you got to do is take off the cap, apply a bit of pressure and brush silicone thinly on the rubber parts (so door, trunk seals all around) that touch metal components. This needs to be done when it is warm, if you apply when it's freezing you're just making it worse Thumbs Up
  
Post #187135723rd Oct 2017 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Post Reply
Display posts from the last:  
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >


Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



DISCO3.CO.UK Copyright © 2004-2017 Futuranet Ltd & Martin Lewis
DISCO3.CO.UK RSS Feed - All Forums Follow DISCO3.CO.UK on twitter

DISCO3.CO.UK is independent and not affiliated to Land Rover.
Switch to Mobile Site