Fuel consumption just got better
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

lee01277 wrote:
Gareth wrote:
The auto does tend to let the engine rev freely, it is not easy to keep the engine revs down and in the torque band. It is possible, but you have to be very careful about throttle opening and be very smooth.

I have developed a knack of releasing the throttle a touch to help it change up earlier, then reapplying throttle to use the torque, but not so much that it changes down again.

Even so, I am only averaging 25.3 after 27000 miles. I was hoping for more.

Done 12k in mine (S auto) and average at least 30 mpg without much effort. 99.9% of my driving is on metaled roads though, and 90% of that is on m/ways at 65 (boring, but I pay the bills and keeps out of the way of 44 tonners pushing me from behind ). Tried for awhile being 6 feet away from the backs of trucks to see how the slipstream effect worked, but didn't see much difference, and anyway isn't good practice Twisted Evil .

I find it keeps to about 2k revs in the relevant gear if you just leave it alone...

Your more likely to find me at XXXmph in the overtaking lane, late for an appointment! I probably should take the crap out of the boot also, there must be 200 kilos of flight cases and tools in there today!

Post #2398920th Oct 2005 4:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >