Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Fuel Economy - What Does It Mean ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Fuel Economy - What Does It Mean ?

I have been wondering about my fuel economy for a while now - haven't we all Big Cry

My normal commute is 10 miles dual carriageway and M1 followed by a 5 mile crawl into the city. Usually takes 40 mins but is much worse on the return journey. During the winter, the trip was indicating around 22mpg average over a tankful. This has crept up slowly over the last month with an indicated 24mpg (actual was 21 when I did the maths).

Anyway, my question is whether the car burns fuel less efficiently or is it just that it doesn't get chance to convert the fuel to energy efficiently ? In other words is it simply clogging up the engine with unburnt fuel or just clogging up S Yorks with a thin coating of soot Whistle

It's a MY11 D4 with almost 7k miles so it may be run in soon. Any views if sport mode may be more efficient ?
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #91352723rd Mar 2012 9:31 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Consumption usually improves by 10 - 20% as things warm up compared with winter. Contrary to normal logic these cars do not run more efficiently in the cold.

Post #91353023rd Mar 2012 9:42 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Sport mode will not be more fuel efficient, as it will hold gears for longer.

Not sure what you are asking - why does your 3 litre V 6 diesel engine burn a lot of fuel when shifting 2.5 tonnes of metal? Or, why were you using more fuel when it was in mid winter?

Don't forget, in colder weather, you will have the heating on, heated seats, heated screen etc.... all this uses electricity and puts added load onto the engine. More load = more diesel burnt.

Conventional thought is that engines do produce more power when fed with cold (denser) air..... but these high tech diesels are so efficient anyway that this doesn't make much difference and is insignificant when compared to the excesses of stop/start driving, air con pumps and a car full of high drain electrical stuff.

Post #91353923rd Mar 2012 9:47 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Also in the colder weather the Fuel Burning Heater will be used more and this sort of burns fuel Whistle
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #91354923rd Mar 2012 10:07 pm
Zapp79

I forgot about the FBH... it is ideal in that you can put it on timer for those times when you really need to burn a bit more fuel but can't make it to the vehicle.

Laughing

Post #91355123rd Mar 2012 10:15 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Sadly, Discoverys are not ideally suited to short commuting journeys from a fuel economy point of view.

However, on a warm day, and with a warmed engine, and a long drive, you'd be surprised what economy figures you can achieve!

I actually managed to get mine to read an average of 6.9 litres/100km this week on a 600km round trip up to Northern Ireland........partially dual carriageway and motorway but mostly good N roads (A road equivalent).
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #91357223rd Mar 2012 11:01 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks for the useful replies.

I guess what I'm curious about is whether I'm gunking up the engine with the low fuel economy or if the engine burns the fuel efficiently all the time so this doesn't happen. I usually take it for a, ahem, spirited run at weekends so (touch wood) no DPF issues.

On a decent run to LHR with a full car of luggage and keeping to around 70mph, I managed about 35mpg indicated - just over 30mpg actual. If I drive like Miss Daisy, it can easily show averages of 37mpg - but I think I only managed to do that for about 2-3 gallons worth !
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #91369624th Mar 2012 1:36 pm
Zapp79

These engines are full of electronics to make sure that they burn the optimum fuel/air mixture all the time. Sometimes this means that it runs a richer mixture, sometimes it will be a leaner mixture. Nothing the regular Joe can do to control that.

But what you can control is your driving habits. If all you do is short trips, using very little throttle and with the engine cold, then yes, you will be filling your DPF quickly and could be coking the engine. If left to carry on this could reduce fuel efficiency and even the life of the engine.

You don't have to drive like a boy racer though, it is sufficient to give it a good run every now and then - gets the engine nice and hot and burns off / blows the crud out the back. (The owners manual says you should do exactly this to empty out the DPF). Sounds like you got it covered with your weekend blast!

Ordinarily not a problem but it could give you some issues at MOT time (emissions test) if your exhaust system is full of crud. To help with this, I always go for a good drive a few days before an MOT, keeping the gears a bit lower than normal to keep the revs up. Thumbs Up

Post #91372224th Mar 2012 2:35 pm
MadJax

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Might sound like a silly question, but what is a DPF and how would I know if I have one Confused
 Discovery 4 2.7 SE
Defender 130 TD5 - Daily Drive
2.7t Caravan
Java TD5 HSE - Gone but not forgotten.
Java V6 Freelander - Had fun in it. 

Post #91469727th Mar 2012 6:27 am
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

On a D4 if you have a DPF you'll have an extra exhaust box near the compressor underneath. Also if your chassis numbers eighth digit is a G then this denotes DPF fitted at factory.
 Club Forum Criminal !!!  
Post #91471027th Mar 2012 6:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >