Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuel filter and Diff Oils changed - with pics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am planning to change my Diff oils however I don’t seem to be able to find any Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 near me in Spain, however I can find Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 Limited Slip (see above post).

I am OK using the 75W140 Limited Slip instead given my car has the standard Diff?
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13514502nd Oct 2014 11:14 am
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Not sure the diff oil is meant to look like melted chocolate. Embarassed Confused Doesn't taste as good either. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Last edited by SWR on 22nd Nov 2014 8:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #137712621st Nov 2014 11:49 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

That doesn't look too healthy to me. Confused

Might be worth changing the oil again in 500 miles or so to see if you can flush out some of the crap before it does more damage to the innards? Thumbs Up

I think it is supposed to look clearer than that, even after 100k or so.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #137716021st Nov 2014 12:35 pm
derryfrombury

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

well done, excellent thread ad useful photos. Will certainly follow this when I get around to doing mine.

Thanks Derry
 Joined Aug 2014. Disco 3 SE 54plate, Buckingham Blue, Cream leather.
Defender 90 200Tdi (weekend toy)
TinTent - Coachman Pastiche 535/4
Supercharged Autobiography Grille
Tera-Firma black silicone intercooler/turbo hoses fitted Sep2014
Forum stickers, silver on rear, Orange in place of RFL disc 

Post #137758921st Nov 2014 11:12 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just done front and rear diff, very helpful guide. Thank you. Thumbs Up

Post #138113129th Nov 2014 12:57 pm
vrmillsy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Excellent, thanks.

Post #140641712th Jan 2015 2:17 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Fuel filter troubles. I have all the clips off other then the whit one. It seems stuck fast. Rotates on the filter ok. But clips won't squeeze as much as the others. Any ideas muchly appreciated.
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #148658112th Jun 2015 12:57 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

Thanks for very informative guide - I did both diffs and the transfer box. It's a messy job though - and in retrospect I think I'd have opted for the long tube + funnel approach rather than the syringe approach I used. It may have been down to the syringe but there was inevitably some loss past the plunger. So I then had to measure the loss and make up the difference. A long tube would have been a lot simpler Smile.

I thought it might be worth summarising the key things for reference (I jotted them down on a post it note and stuck them to my toolbox). This is for the standard / open rear diff (not the locking rear diff).

Item                Capacity
Front diff           0.61l
Standard Rear Diff   1.1l
Transfer Box         Fill to spill (approx. 1.5l)

Item               Fill Plug   Torque Setting   Drain Plug   Torque Setting
Early Front Diff    8mm Hex     34Nm             14mm Hex     54Nm
Later Front Diff    8mm Hex     34Nm             3/8" Square  28Nm
Early Rear Diff     8mm Hex     34Nm             14mm Hex     54Nm
Later Rear Diff     8mm Hex     34Nm             3/8" Square  28Nm
Transfer Box        8mm Hex     22Nm             8mm Hex      22Nm
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #148658912th Jun 2015 1:24 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I took the whole 0.611L front and 1.1L rear diff capacity with a pinch of salt. I filled to spill at both ends, twice since I've had the car. I currently have 85w140 in both diffs for added load carrying capacity. The front was showing early signs of bearing failure. The rear did have water mixed with the oil, which I suspect has pitted the bearings. The diffs are noticeably quieter with the thicker oil, so hopefully they will give me a few thousand more miles before rebuilds are essential.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #148675712th Jun 2015 7:12 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

SWR wrote:
Fuel filter troubles. I have all the clips off other then the whit one. It seems stuck fast. Rotates on the filter ok. But clips won't squeeze as much as the others. Any ideas muchly appreciated.

Yeah let yogi972 get under the car n get soaked in derv Rolling with laughter

It was a tight blugger but we got there,
At least your diff oil looked a bit healthier this time round Thumbs Up

Post #148678412th Jun 2015 7:52 pm
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

should do mine, front and rear (simple one)

could i use

CASTROL Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 GL-5
or
CASTROL Syntrax Longlife 75W-140 GL-5

cheers

Post #150194615th Jul 2015 3:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I doubt the thicker oil will hurt the std diffs at all, but bear in mind all vehicles are going for thinner high tech oil for fuel economy, so you have to assume the diffs are designed to run with the cats Censored stuff.

The trucks are the same used to be new 85/140 in the diff every year, now its 3 years or 300k whichever comes first with the syn 75/90

85/140 will defo make a difference to the trans drag, I stuck it in my 90 tfer box and noticed it straight away on my regular route to work that the car was working harder for the same speed.
When I eventually fixed the leak! and went back to syn 75/90 again I could feel the car was more lively.

Post #150196315th Jul 2015 5:40 am
derryfrombury

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just done all my Oils and Filters last weekend.
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 for Engine 5.6ltrs
Castro Syntrax Universal Plus75W-9 for both diffs, transfer and gearbox (manual) marginally under 5ltrs for the whole 4.
Malle Oil Filter
Bearmach Fuel and Pollen filters.

All from the ever helpful guys at AF.

My tips: -
Get yourself 2 proper hexagonal sockets (8mm & 14MM) so you're able to tighten everything to the correct torques rather than using guesswork.
Spray the small (8mm head) bolt which holds the fuel filter in place with plenty of WD 40 right at the start of the job or preferably a few days earlier. Mine did come undone okay but it took a good 15mins gently turning a few threads one way than the other before it eventually came undone.
One of the 4 pipes on the fuel filter is a bit deceiving, it is slightly different at the end to the other 3, which you simply press the 2 blue and 1 yellow square button to release each pipe, the 4th pipe has a white button which you do exactly the same and that pipe will also pull off. You'll see what I mean when you get underneath, my first thoughts were "someone's had problems with this in the past and bodged it" thankfully they hadn't, it was just that I mistook the white button (which is smaller) for a label, and because its the most difficult pipe to see clearly, it lead me to my original thought.
One of the 6mm bolts which holds the rear plastic under tray in place was rusted in so I had to grind it off and replace the spire nut and bolt (for what they cost might be worth having a couple of each to hand). I would also recommend a Draper or similar make pump with thin pipe and small nozzle, particularly for filling both diffs. I took the FNS wheel off which did make it easier to get the filler plug undone and refill with new oil.
Removing the oil filter can seem a bit strange if like me you've never done one before. it feels strange when you start to undo it, it feels like its on a quarter turn and just pulls off, until you get past the O Ring seat, when in undoes quite freely all the way.
I would defiantly fill the new fuel filter before fitting it. I didn't and followed the bleeding procedure including wrapping some absorbent cloth around the bleed nipple, only to end up with what seemed like gallons of derv running down the back on the engine onto the pit floor. in reality it was probably no more than an egg cup full, but as we all know a little seems to go a long way and leave a nasty smell about the place for a few days.
My final tip plenty of copper slip on all the bolts which hold both under trays in place, ready for next time.
Derry
 Joined Aug 2014. Disco 3 SE 54plate, Buckingham Blue, Cream leather.
Defender 90 200Tdi (weekend toy)
TinTent - Coachman Pastiche 535/4
Supercharged Autobiography Grille
Tera-Firma black silicone intercooler/turbo hoses fitted Sep2014
Forum stickers, silver on rear, Orange in place of RFL disc 

Post #150208815th Jul 2015 12:15 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This may seem like a daft question but my drive way is on a slope and I cannot do it anywhere else. I am going to use ramps to change engine oil, front diff oil and fuel filter. Would you have front of car facing downhill so it would in theory level the car out a little or would I be ok (and feel a little safer) if I faced uphill on the ramps so if any thing went wrong the car would roll backwards off the ramps. Would 1 way have an advantage over the other for example draining the oil ? I know its daft but worth asking as I cannot do it on the avenue at the bottom of my driveway as I would block the turning circle and that would be a shooting offence by the parish council where I live, or at very least a public flogging Shocked

Post #151612315th Aug 2015 6:01 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My drives on a slope also. I used my ramps to make the car level whilst changing the diff oil and transfer box oil

Post #151612515th Aug 2015 6:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >