Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Fuel gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Flying Scotsman

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Fuel gauge

Over the last few times that I have filled my car, my fuel gauge displays the mileage to empty, its going down after ever fill up, I seem to remember that It was over 500 miles, now it’s less than 400, any thoughts where to start looking for faults, Would this be a fuel tank sender fault or electrical?

You only get one lap, make it count !!  
Post #187931814th Nov 2017 1:38 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The distance-to-empty will be predicated on your average fuel consumption. If am spending a lot of time on short journeys, my fuel consumption will be around, or even below, 25mpg. If I then fill up, my distance-to-empty will be less than 400, probably about the 380.

On Sunday, I drove from Inverness to Perth (110 miles) and managed to achieve 36.5mpg by sticking to 55mph. After I filled up, my distance-to-empty was 430.

As an aside, when I left Inverness, once I was established “in the cruise”, I reset the trip meter. My gps said I had 110 miles to to go to the petrol station in Perth I wanted to reach and my distance-to-empty said 95. By the time I got 3/4 of the way to Perth, they were both the same. When I pulled up at the petrol station I was showing 12 miles to empty.

By taking it easy on the speed (not that you can go fast on the A9 due to traffic and the dreaded average speed cameras) I reckon I saved just over £5 in fuel for the trip which took me about 10 minutes longer.

Post #187932614th Nov 2017 2:19 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As said above, it is determined on your average fuel consumption..

I would reset the trip, check your tyre pressures and tracking, remove any un required weight, roof rack etc, maybe check to see if any of the brakes are binding?

Also after resetting, try and drive an gently as possible for the duration of the current tank and see if that improves things.

if not you're looking at things like additives to the fuel or something like a 'Terraclean'? where the clean all the C Censored p from your fuel system.

I get on average 28.9mpg, that's driving mainly on small lanes and A roads with some towing and I get no less than 420 from a tank on the trip when I fill up.
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #187933314th Nov 2017 2:34 pm
Flying Scotsman

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

My car doesn’t do short journeys, usually minimum of 100 miles when it gets used, i will reset the trip computer, then see how that goes, it may also be down to my very heavy right foot !

My tyre pressures were adjusted on Friday prior to leaving for Inverness. Car serviced by DM not long a go and the wheel alignment was sorted then.

Hugh I may have passed you on the road down on Sunday as there were lots of discos out and about. Thumbs Up
 You only get one lap, make it count !!  
Post #187937914th Nov 2017 4:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >