DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Fuel and Noisy Windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fuel and Noisy Windscreen

Back from the Alps this morning...

bit of an update to add to the Fuel Consumption thread.

After a lot of driving about seemd to have averaged about 22 mpg on the long drags up and down France (4 people with luggage for 7 as some chose Easyjet over LR ( Exclamation ). But very strong winds (100 - 130 kmh yesterday on the return) which is my excuse for less than the expected 24/25 it normally gives in France. Was impressed at how well it kept up dialled in speed in hilly bits, didn't drop into 5th anywhere near as often as I expected.

Seen a new low on the av. mpg read of 15 ( It was set tank to tank), ascending up to a col 6 up + skis, boots, sledge etc....not bad considering earlier on in the day it peaked at 42.5 (highest ever) on my way back from Geneva Airport on one of my shuttle runs there.

Played with the TR and used HDC for the first time in anger. Very impressed at how easy it is in the snow (route ferme Exclamation ), passengers like the heated seats!!! No photos though as I do not yet have the courage to take hands off wheel to use camera and no one wanted to be outside the vehicle with a camera with me driving it in close proximity to them Whistle

However it does need a clean now and still smells slightly this morning of the Savoyard fromage et Saucissons we brought back........

Did have a query for you chaps(ettes) though. The car had a replacement windscreen the day before i left (failed heating elemenst right in front of driver eyeline when looking straight ahead) and I now have a very annowing wind noise (sounds like sand rattling on the screen) from low down on the screen, drivers side, when the vehicle is driven at high speed in strong cross winds. No noise when calm it is only in the cross wind. So obviously there is a seal or something not right as it used not to do that. It is particuarly annoying as the car is impressively quiet otherwise.

Still got to have something not quite right otherwise it wouldn't give me anything to talk about Very Happy

PS Didin't see many D3's, a couple of Geneva registered ones and couple of UK plated ones locally in the Alps. Not many French plated ones about at all yet!! Although obviously the only other one on the ferry was parked directly behind me (with a RRS alongside)
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #12931312th Feb 2007 9:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Very nice trip SPOTTER Thumbs Up any pics?

The bottom clips (yellow ones) that is fitted to the windscreen moulding have to be changed every time you take it out, if not you may have some wind noise.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #12956913th Feb 2007 12:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

Thanks Q8, I will have to as theealer again although they did tell me they replaced all teheips at theime (I specifically asked after reading these forums Very Happy )

As to therip, pics still on camera, went eagerly home last night to transfer them onto my laptop, howver laptop wouldn't play ball and wouldn't boot up so bad mood. Obviosuly my work laptop has been fully sanitised so that nothing tha could be intepreted as malicious enjoyment can be done on it so that was no help either.

Oh well, when I can I will see wghat I got.....however I suspect that it si all rather tame compared to AndrewS et al on their trip Whistle Very Happy Very Happy

PS must get some European fuel loyalty cards I think as well he says unloading the credit card recepts from his wallet, although it has to be said it costs me the same to run my D3 in France as it does my wifes A-Class in the UK
Post #12959313th Feb 2007 7:58 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

SPOTTER wrote:
Played with the TR and used HDC for the first time in anger.

Why were you angry Spotter?

Sounds like a nice holiday in your Disco. Please do post pics when you get it sorted.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #12961913th Feb 2007 10:16 am
SPOTTER

me angry, Razz , no, just a turn of phrase

...........I was more scared at the time Very Happy

will get any decent photos on asap..............hopefully will be some, did have a lot of problems with the camera batteries dying in the cold which was annoying Rolling Eyes
Post #12962813th Feb 2007 10:29 am
SPOTTER

got some pics posted...

nothing terribly exciting as most were normal family shots....since having kids seem to have forgotten how to take photos of anything else Embarassed
Post #13040716th Feb 2007 8:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >