Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel pump nightmares
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pippin

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Fuel pump nightmares

So first of all sorry if this has already been answered, in the wrong place, or a dumb question! I’m going for asking for forgiveness on this one.

So I’m new to the LR world but coming from Alfa’s I thought I had a good pain threshold.

Brought an 05 Disco3 SE 2.7 in December and after Doug a U.K. - Copenhagen round trip all was ok (exception of an auto box fault that would clear on restart)

Engine then cut and diagnostic / fix was to clear out the fuel filter, do a bit of a temp fix to get a working motor in the pump. (Still has autobox fault by the way)

Drive to Denmark, alps and it goes again in Germany. Have to change pump and fuel tank + valve. Good news auto box fault seems to have gone - assumed this was due to something funky with the fuel pump reading other posts

So today same happens again - engine fault warning, engine cuts, starter working but looks like no fuel.

It doesn’t feel right to have torn through a new pump, so I’m guessing there is something up stream that’s causing it electrically.

The only other thing I did notice was there is a hissing sound under acceleration which I assumed would be a hose split but expected it to not cause the car to shut down? The sound comes from the front right footwell

Can anyone one give any pointers or is this just the fun of being a disco owner?!

215k Miles btw[/b]

Post #19121118th Feb 2018 6:55 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

For the hiss search on here for split intercooler hose, not always obvious to see.

Also search for lpfp and you will find some info on the power supply plug corroding, I think its in NSF wheelarch but check on here first.

Robbie has done a good thread all about the lpfp, but I cant remember its name!

Quick search and here you go https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/robbies-gui...+fuel+pump

Post #19121318th Feb 2018 9:16 am
Kazik13

Poland 

Can you read fault codes? It helps a lot of to diagnose issue.

Cheers

Post #19121868th Feb 2018 11:06 am
KostasA

Greece 

car has two pumps. one in the fuel tank (LPFP low pressure fuel pump) and one on the V of the engine (HPFP high pressure one). if i understand well you have changed the LPFP (in the tanK) and the diesel filter. now there are third possibilities, if the LPFP was not working properly then most likely has damaged your HPFP (cavitation), or when you fixed temporary the filter do you mean you bypass it? if yes then dirt might have passed through. third one check your feeding line from tank to the filter to HPFP if there is a problem somewhere.

one mechanic has told me that he has seen cases where the LPFP was destroyed and the tank was full of small metal particles. the only way to see those is to drop the tank and take a photo (with flash) and look for shining particles. so his advice is always to clean the tank when you change LPFP.

Post #19122458th Feb 2018 1:27 pm
pippin

So the prognosis was that; HPFP has gone..

Needless to say Im a little skeptical of dealers at the moment so Im getting it brought home and we are going to get to know each other really well! (although im so happy its -11 in denmark at the moment)

Lynall - thanks for the links, I had gone through some of them before when it first started in december so its time to open them back up

Kazik, Kostas - We got the faults read and usual wave of failures, but the dealer said HPFP.

The temp fix on the original LPFP was to change the motor rather than the whole pump, apparently it had destroyed its self so we had the tank cleaned out. It didnt surprise me it went for the second time and thats when we changed tank and pump together to avoid the metal shards flowing around into the filter.

Question: I thought the filter was in the LPFP, is there another filter on the way to, or at the HPFP which we can replace?

Also to get it going again will I need to reset any error codes or can I just turn it over and reprime the fuel pressue?

Post #19128029th Feb 2018 4:15 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

in reg to hissing have you checked your crossover pipe

those tend to develop small cracks what causes hissing as well

G

Post #19128069th Feb 2018 4:18 pm
KostasA

Greece 

pippin wrote:
So the prognosis was that; HPFP has gone..

Needless to say Im a little skeptical of dealers at the moment so Im getting it brought home and we are going to get to know each other really well! (although im so happy its -11 in denmark at the moment)

Lynall - thanks for the links, I had gone through some of them before when it first started in december so its time to open them back up

Kazik, Kostas - We got the faults read and usual wave of failures, but the dealer said HPFP.

The temp fix on the original LPFP was to change the motor rather than the whole pump, apparently it had destroyed its self so we had the tank cleaned out. It didnt surprise me it went for the second time and thats when we changed tank and pump together to avoid the metal shards flowing around into the filter.

Question: I thought the filter was in the LPFP, is there another filter on the way to, or at the HPFP which we can replace?

Also to get it going again will I need to reset any error codes or can I just turn it over and reprime the fuel pressue?

there is a diesel filter under driver's seat (RHD) you need to take off the plastic shield of the gearbox and is above the cross member in a tiny corner!!!!
if the LPFP has eaten her self there is a high possibility that those parts are on the system as well. To my view i would have changed all the pipes up to HPFP and pray that they hadn't reached there.

Post #19128489th Feb 2018 6:27 pm
pippin

Here is hoping, going to check the electrics now, just had it delivered back onto the drive.

I quickly checked the pressure valve and nothing flowing up to there so not sure why they thought HPFP (although that might be me being naive) - if there is no fuel there I would assume something with the LPFP again?

Post #19128569th Feb 2018 6:40 pm
KostasA

Greece 

you need to prime, turn the ignition ON (don't start the car), hear the LPFP working, switch off and go push the valve to bleed fuel out. repeat the process 3-4 times to be sure that network is bled.

to my humble opinion change also the fuel filter.

filter location: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Disco+3+...VagS33dHM:

then bleed (many times to clean pipes) and then start the car.

Post #19128679th Feb 2018 7:05 pm
pippin

Ok so maybe some good news,

Fuel pump fuse has blown, just switched it out and it blew again (get the feeling the HPFP diagnosis might be a little off)

Assuming now I need to find where the short is that blowing the fuse?

Post #19128759th Feb 2018 7:24 pm
pippin

So maybe a little prematurely I dropped the tank and the LPFP seems good (DMM is showing resistance across the pump)

Without the pump connected the fuse blew again so off, i went chasing the wires. I'm chasing the Pink / White, and reading some of the other posts the box(s) are at the NSF and NSR arches under the liners - however there isn't a same coded wire.

Any pointers here, i lose the cable as its sitting on of the frame as it hits the suspension close to the OSR, checked under the arch there and couldn't see anything - I can put the meter on them but I came in for a coffee as its - 3 and snowing and hoped for a little inspiration

Post #191344211th Feb 2018 1:33 pm
pippin

so just an update - traced the fault to the wire and came across this about a foot into the casing

So tomorrow is for rewiring/solder to see if it gets the pump going again. Cables look like they have been sitting in water for ages, with the sheaths super brittle.

Checking the other wires now to see if it explains the parking sensor error I had.

Post #191365511th Feb 2018 10:20 pm
pippin

All rewired and now the fuel pump is going strong. Bled the system but I'm still getting crank no start, with the addition of suspension faults, HDC fault etc

I've gone back checked the wiring, although i didn't check where the second connector went to, and all of the new connections had continuity

Any help with what I might have missed ?

Post #191379812th Feb 2018 2:03 pm
KostasA

Greece 

if the system is bled properly (there is pressure at the valve) you might need to give a few cranks to prime the HP side of it.

Post #191381212th Feb 2018 2:33 pm
pippin

Thanks, Kostas, I've tried to turn it over a couple of times but still not starting.

What would be the next logical test, seeing if the engine starts with aerostart or the Danish alternative?

Post #191382112th Feb 2018 2:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >