Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

fuel spills out when filling up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hellboy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
fuel spills out when filling up

Bow down have got a problem needing some urgent help i have just purchased a disco3 and since i have had it about 4 weeks i have filled the tank up 3 times and every time i do so it overflows and covers the forecourt with the good stuff,at first i thought it was the fuel pump at the garage and put it down to bad luck £83.00 pounds of deisel in and about £3..00 pounds on floor.so next time i said to myself i will only put in about £75.00 and it happened again i last filled it up today and stopped at £65.00 to let any air out as i thought this may be the problem ,got to the £72.00 mark and then it done the same again its a 05 plate TD6 S MANUAL ANY IDEAS i have been trying to get an answer from LR but there never seems to be anyone in the service area to help these motors aint that bad that the mechanics are under the hood all day or are they any help or advice would be greatful Big Cry

Post #42971627th Feb 2009 12:21 am
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not sure but I think I've seen comments on here about a breather pip disconnecting.....someone will be around soon to give advise though.

Have you tried the search function

Post #42972727th Feb 2009 1:08 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is it backflow through the filler neck or just appears under the car?

If the second, I agree it's a breather pipe issue.

EDIT Reason: Shocking grammar. Embarassed
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #42974427th Feb 2009 5:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hellboy you could have a rodent problem. Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #42974927th Feb 2009 7:02 am
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm one of these sad people that like to fill to the brim so I can check my mileage/consumption and always find it takes an age because of the diesel froth backfilling the filler pipe. Patience usually wins in the end as does just dribbling the diesel in when you know you are getting close to the crisis point. Wish someone could figure out a "cure" for frothy diesel though!

Post #42994127th Feb 2009 2:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Only danger of really filling right up to the brim, is that the poor motorcyclist that is driving on the roads you've just been driving aroiund corners in, then ends up on their ass due to the spilt diesel......

I fill my car always, but have it on full open nozzle & just take it out once it clicks off. Don't get any problem foaming & on the odd occassion where I used to eek the last ml out, never really got more than about a litre in anyway. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #42994827th Feb 2009 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does it happen at all fuel stations?
The fuel gun should have a small pipe inside which detects the diesel foam, that's how the filling stops. If the fuel station is not well equipped, this could be your problem.
I've spilled quite a few litres of diesel that way in the past Whistle

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #43012627th Feb 2009 8:02 pm
caverD3

Rodent issue is a real possibility. They eat a connector at the top of the tank so fuel spills when full. Dealer may say new tank but a repair is possible.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #43024427th Feb 2009 11:13 pm
SI 1

United Kingdom 

I had a rodent problem , it ate the elbow joint on top of the tank. I would fill the tank towards the brim and notice that I was filling up the forecourt Evil or Very Mad

A south west Landy garage gave me a cost of £400 for a new tank Big Cry but they claimed that it could be fixed with polly resin. A new elbow joint was replaced as the Rat/Mouse had eaten it. They polly resined the new elbow joint on top of the tank, with two new pipes fitted as well.

Working great and had no problems since. Thumbs Up

Simon
 1960 Morris Minor
1965 Morris Minor Traveller
Rangerover TDV8 (Current)
Discovery TD5 (Current)
BMW 123d SE (Current) 

Post #43025027th Feb 2009 11:22 pm
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad That will be the D3 elbow only eating rodent that LR know nothing about(can't be bothered as my custom is not important to them) but every dealer has! It can be repaired for the cost of a couple of hours labour by the likes of Duckworths. It is alot more common than you might be led to believe (see previous rant on my post somewhere) and i have some pictures that i can't work out how to post but if someone drops me an email i could forward them for posting. Please insist the dealer reports it back to LR as i think it is very poor development to have a plastic tank that is not made from rodent proof plastic material if that is what is causing damage to all these tanks in the same place? (hence i would dearly love to post pics for comparison if anyone can help or has some of there own)
Shame really as i love my car but find things like this an irritating crotch itch Rolling Eyes and poor customer service on LR's part not the dealers
EDIT; sorry musn't have gone to the bottom of page as i didn't notice your last post! Would like to see/post some pics to compare though. Thumbs Up

Post #43031928th Feb 2009 8:47 am
caverD3

Rodents can be a major problem for all vehicles. I spoke to a mechanic from the local Renault dealer and he said they have had to replace or/fix the wiring looms in a lot of cars due to the disapearance of comlete sections. This was in the car lot alone. Shocked
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #43036628th Feb 2009 11:17 am
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I am aware of rodent eating cars like you say but i still find it a bit odd that from what i have been hearing it is only in one place and only on one model of LR that the problem comes up often. That is why i would have thought it would be of interest to compare some photos. I have only just become aware that it is quite normal for projects in our electrical department to ask for rodent proof plastics where required and im sure we don't have the budget of LR. Hey i really enjoy my car but i do think we are a bit guilty of rolling over a bit to easy. I notice it is now NORMAL practice to be charged to fix your EPB when it goes up the wall between services and no one is bothered Crying or Very sad I must (cant) be on my own in thinking it is a farce that my EPB needs to be adjusted between services as it is incapable of lasting LR's service intervals with normal use. Perhaps i should change my lifestyle to prevent all future problems.Maybe if i reduce my milage so the service is due yearly. Stop using it to tow. Stop using it in rural locations and only in city centres to reduce the chance of rodent damage and stop hopeing that if i rant enough it just might worm its way back to someone that cares. Thumbs Up

Post #43060328th Feb 2009 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >