Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Full Size Spare PLUS Tow Bar?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

It shouldn't be called a "space saver" as it doesn't occupy useable space. Perhaps it should be called something like "a cost saving, profit enhancing, less likely to be nicked, but not as safe if needed than a full sizer". Wonder why LR don't use that description in their brochures ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #55763229th Nov 2009 8:56 am
NJF

I guess that the space-saver is also a weight-saver, and is sold as standard in Europe so that the car's official CO2 figures get just that little bit closer to the point at which the Powers That Be will permit LR to continue to manufacture it without having to pay monstrous penalties.

Thereafter, I guess that simple economics kicks in. You can ask LR to replace the space saver with a full size spare, but since they won't have factored it into the sales price, you'll have to pay a wee bit more for your choice. The price is reasonable, IMHO. Wink

Post #55763329th Nov 2009 9:14 am
lafona00

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NJF wrote:
I guess that the space-saver is also a weight-saver, and is sold as standard in Europe so that the car's official CO2 figures get just that little bit closer to the point at which the Powers That Be will permit LR to continue to manufacture it without having to pay monstrous penalties.

I seriously hope that they will developpe a very good hybrid engine... or at least implement the Stop And Start system in all their model soon...
Even better if we could retrofit it!!! Whistle
 Arno
No more LR... but a Toyo
Java Black Disco 3 XS Auto - MY2008 - Leather, heated seats.
Series 3 Def 90 - 1993 

Post #55764029th Nov 2009 9:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I don't believe it - wife just rang to say she has had a puncture. LRA on the way (and she is safely parked up in a KFC carpark) - but from the sound of it she kept driving wondering why it "felt & sounded strange" so no doubt she will have trashed the tyre. Will be expensive I fear and we will see how the space saver manages.

UPDATE : Now wife and D4 home safely - but the space saver looks frighteningly skinny on a vehicle of this size. And I can confirm that the 20inch wheel / tyre combo still leaves adequate space for the removable tow hitch. Sorry no photos as its black as your hat and persisting down outside right now.

Oh and National Tyres are quoting £330 online to fit a new Pirelli 255/50/20 Big Cry
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #55773029th Nov 2009 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >