Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Fully Loaded !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
manichauhan

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Fully Loaded !!

All loaded up !! Really impressed with the performance of the D3 with a full family load. Managed to get it to 100mph before it started feeling a little swervy. Comfortably cruising at 90mph most of the way !! The Car never ceases to amaze me Smile. Thule products highly recommended for the D3/D4.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by manichauhan on 30th May 2011 10:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #80190930th May 2011 10:06 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Not sure I'd be bragging about getting it to 100mph with the family on board and a full load of kit Confused
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #80191030th May 2011 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thud

Post #80191230th May 2011 10:24 pm
manichauhan

Hey Andy,

Not so much bragging as appraising the car. It is by far the best (not to mention, safest!...) 4x4 I have driven. The D3 is amazingly stable at high speeds (subject to the experience of the driver, of course).

Last edited by manichauhan on 30th May 2011 11:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #80191430th May 2011 10:27 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I dare say it is but a high risk experiment surely?
Post #80191630th May 2011 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
manichauhan

High risk, perhaps. Not that I'm endorsing fast driving, but I drive the D3 over 90mph most of the time on the motorway. Just wanted to see if the load made any difference to its performance !! Whistle

The Thule products are ideally designed for the D3/D4. Very Robust with minimum added resistance, in case anyone owning a D3/D4 is considering getting a Roof Box or Bike Carrier.

Post #80191830th May 2011 10:33 pm
joyceslaw

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

We are all adults here and I'm guessing that he's not a boy racer in his 20's so don't be so patronising and judgemental. Do you seriously think that he will change his driving habits because you've given him a piece of your mind!

Post #80194531st May 2011 12:05 am
manichauhan

Thx joyceslaw,

Right on all accounts !!....Definitely not a Boy Racer, wish I WAS in my 20s (!),...... and will not be changing driving habits (at least not until I'm too old to enjoy the thrill of driving) Smile .

Can't wait to get my hand on the twin turbo D4 Twisted Evil

Post #80194731st May 2011 12:36 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

It's not a case of being patronising, if one posts on a forum then that is usually to invite comment or opinion on that post.

My opinion is that driving at 100mph with a roof box, bike rack and fully loaded is dangerous. It is only my opinion, you don't have to agree.
Post #80196031st May 2011 7:31 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

I think it's great that he can post openly, I hope he updates us all when pulled by the boys in blue for being in control of a 3 ton weapon if it all goes tits up at those speeds. Wink

(it's not about the drivers ability, it's about all the other Censored wits on the road he has to be aware of and avoid Rolling Eyes )

saying that the skoda can do 220kph but watching the road and fuel gauge isn't worth doing it more than the once Embarassed
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #80197231st May 2011 8:39 am
joyceslaw

Travelling at 100+mph on a UK motorway as described would result in a speeding ticket/summons - the offence of dangerous driving is not made out in these circumstances.

The same as if we were doing 45+mph on a 30mph road....

Those of us who have never exceeded the speed limit step forward.... what no-one?

Note:
A cliché or cliche is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect[/u]

Post #80197931st May 2011 9:20 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

So you condone this then?
Post #80198431st May 2011 9:27 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

is this a new challenge thread? If so I'm going to load mine up the same but plus the FR roofrack and on MTRs see if I can beat that speed Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #80198531st May 2011 9:28 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

So the D3 loaded like that can do 100mph (indicated) which must prove something.

Now - what I'd like to know is how well does it handle at that speed in an emergency swerve (moose manouver); how well does the braking system stop it, and in what semblence of a straight line; how well does the integral roll cage protect a full set of occupants in a multiple roll over at 150 feet/second; how well does the air bag system deploy, ?? Let the experiment continue - maby there is a test track like MIRA somewhere this could be done on though, to avoid harming the general public in the process.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #80198831st May 2011 9:30 am
joyceslaw

CFB wrote:
So you condone this then?

It doesn't matter if I do or I don't....... he has done it already... if you are asking if I would do it my answer is no.

As for what happens in a crash... lets all never drive again..... IF is a very big but totally useless word in a bedate like this. Anything COULD have happened but it didn't.

The probability of him having a serious/fatal collision in his D3 is very remote, there is NOT carnage on our roads, they are the safest they have been for nearly 30 years - combining that with the massive increase in road users that makes the roads even safer then on paper. One contributing factor is the deisgn of modern vehicles and how then handle on the road and in a collision....

This thread could go on forever and we will all have a pro and con opinion to give. I have given mine like it or lump it.

We are not angels on the road, even those in law enforcement who post on here.

He has given his opinion on the stability of the vehicle at speed - would we be having this conversation is this was a German forum relating to travelling on Autobahn's - I doubt it.

Remember my point was raised as people overuse the phrase 'dangerous driving'. Was his driving dangerous? Answer must be no. Did he break the law, the answer must be yes.

Post #80208031st May 2011 2:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >