Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

G4Expo rack lights - help with fitting / wiring up PLEASE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
G4Expo rack lights - help with fitting / wiring up PLEASE

Guys I want to fit some of the G4 Hella lights at the front of my Expo Rack and one "work" light at the back; I was thinking of putting the wiring through the back tailgate with detachable clips (for when the rack is off); What has everyone else done? Is there a Thread on this somewhere??

Also have people used a different switch for the rack lights or linked them into the front spot lights (I ahve them already)? Neutral If a different switch - hints on best location in cabin??
cheers!!
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #47312128th May 2009 10:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

Ran wires for mine up under the windscreen pillar trim which is easy to remove and through the front leg of the rack, totally invisible from the outside. Then put a switch to isolate the lights in the overhead console where the sunroof switch would go.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #47312328th May 2009 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BlackPerth2

Good spot for switch Thumbs Up so where does wiring exit the interior? through top of door cavity?
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #47316428th May 2009 11:30 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Nope, it goes through the bulkhead into the second battery compartment then up inside the windscreen trim Thumbs Up
Post #47317328th May 2009 11:39 am
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Blackperth...

I have been looking around for a long time also to find the right place for the switch.
After some time I thought by myself, why would you put a switch that you almost never use in sight...???
So What I have done, see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32359.html?highlight=

And I am happy with that.
Very easy, very fast to install, accesable even while driving....
Very Happy
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #47354129th May 2009 8:02 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Personally I think the switch should be in sight, if not you could easily forget that the rack lights are active and find yourself blinding folks if you flash main beam!!

In the UK certainly it is illegal to not have them isolated and I guess any MOT inspection could possibly involve them seeing a switch??
Post #47359429th May 2009 9:59 am
BlackPerth2

yeah I think Down Under it needs to be isolated and I kinda like to be able to see it too - spot for sunroof switch seems logical; still haven't quite worked out where the wiring enters the car from the lamps - assume near top of A pillar somewhere right? then down that pillar and to battery and switch? is rack always on your car or do you remove it?
Post #47362729th May 2009 10:54 am
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well, for me it's simple....I always drive with all ON if I use the high beam.
Switch is only there to be able to turn them off fot MOT. Whistle
If we go to MOT they may not be active on the high-beam.....

Thats it...so once out of MOT.....Click.....back to ALL ACTIVE Mr. Green
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #47412230th May 2009 12:06 pm
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
G4 Rack - Mounting the hella luminator lights

Guys, are the brackets used for attaching the 4 Hella (G4) lights to the cowling available anywhere to buy - or is it a DIY thing?
cheers
Chris
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #58812823rd Jan 2010 3:06 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

For the LF's in my grill, I used a genuine loom so it's inside the cab anyway. Just extended the wires and fed them up the A pillar on the drivers side behind the trim. Poked them up between the roof lining and the screen. Removed the console for the interior lights. Popped out the sunroof switch blank. As it happens a Carling Contura switch fits the hole perfectly. It doesn't quite follow the contour or the panel but it's good enough and very unobtrusive. Also lights up when the lights are on and a small bar to show the switch in the dark.

Edit

Found a link to them

http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.com/sea...ch__19.asp
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #58817523rd Jan 2010 10:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >