Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Gamester - LR3 SE V8 2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gamester

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Gamester - LR3 SE V8 2005

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Hello, my name is Stephen and I have a sickness... for Land Rovers. Wink
In the past I've owned a 1966 IIa 109 and then a 1995 Discovery I. Now, I've acquired a used 2005 LR3. It's a Java Black SE V8 with a black interior. Apparently my affliction for Land Rovers is far from over. My road to recovery continues... Very Happy

I've got all the past service records and it was well taken care of mechanically. I got a good deal on it, because more recently it sat un-used for an extended period of time. There's a bunch of interior trim pieces that are broken / missing. There's a rather large dent in the rear pillar from backing into a structure in a parking garage. The roof glass has a long crack across it. The back up sensors need attention. There's an SRS airbag light on the dash: probably from a plug or wire under the drivers seat when I moved the seat back.

The plan is to start with all the fluids and maintenance requirements. The first purchase will be a IId Scan tool. LCA's and sway bar bushings need doing. The alternator needs replacing. I found a 'must do checklist for new LR3 owners' on this forum that I'll slowly pick my way through too.

Once I get ahold of the basic maintenance issues, I'm planning a build with a slant towards an overlanding / bicycle hauling / camping rig.
I'm happy to once again have a Land Rover!

Week one: The truck was covered inside and out in thick layers of old dust. I've put some elbow grease into it. Two days of washing and cleaning later... Shocked It was fun and satisfying to see what a gem was under all that dirt, and at the same time I got a good glimpse into what's broken and in need of attention on the truck.
I've cleaned inside the engine bay, cleared the sunroof drains, defogged the headlights, and fixed some interior fittings (glovebox latch, sagging headliner, power seat controls).

No wonder the ferry cost me so much when I brought the truck home from Vancouver: turns out I was paying for another passenger...

The offender has been evicted. I guess he was hungry:

The dent. I'm keen to try my hand at righting it myself.

Where it stands now. The truck cleaned up real nice.
Click image to enlarge

Post #183724915th Jul 2017 10:11 pm
Gamester

Cleaning the engine bay this weekend I found more evidence of 'Mickey'. I washed a handful of his droppings out of the insulated lining on the underside of the bonnet. I think that's all of him now. There's no evidence of any damaged wiring or hoses from his appetite. This all led to thinking of possible names for the truck:
    The Rat-mobile
    Ratty
    Mickey Mouse
    or...?

Then I tackled a non-returning hood/bonnet lever. The lever was not springing back to its resting position, so I couldn't properly close the hood. I cleaned the hood latches and lubed the cables, which helped matters but didn't fix the lever. Turns out the spring inside the lever assembly had dislodged itself. I managed to unwind it, bend it to a working shape, and reinstall. It works great now!

Post #183772617th Jul 2017 2:53 pm
Gamester

This weekend I was able to repair the ashtray. It wasn't closing completely. The round cylindrical spring had pulled itself out of the plastic at the front top lip of the console hole. I folded the end of the spring over 180 degrees to form a hook shape and reinserted the carriage. All working again now. Here's the forum link that helped:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic142948....p;start=15

And I had a driver's door locking issue. I removed the door card and the actuator. I had the same issues as this fellow, with a broken arm inside it:

I bent the metal arm as he recommends and it's working again. Smile

Next up: I need a new alternator.

Post #184270231st Jul 2017 5:51 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Top stuff Thumbs Up

Post #184270531st Jul 2017 5:58 pm
Gamester

This weekend I replaced the locking mechanism in the rear passenger door with one I found off a parts truck. I think I could change out a lock actuator with my eyes closed now. It's so nice to have all the door locks functioning properly now.

I also pulled an alternator off that parts truck and installed it on mine. The battery warning light on the dash has now disappeared, and the cooling fan isn't constantly running anymore. Yay! I probably get the other alternator rebuilt.

Then I pulled up the door trim and carpet to air and dry out the passenger footwell. I think the residual moisture in there was from the sunroof drains (which I cleaned out a couple weeks ago). I checked the cabin filter - it's dry in there. Also, I ran some wire down the AC vents to clear them out. Hopefully the footwells stay dry now.
While the passenger (right hand side: Canada!) door sills were out I inspected the problematic wiring beneath them. Everywhere I read mentions tying three wires in the loom back together for the door locks to function, my truck appeared to have four. Shocked I'm unsure if they were all tied together previously, but I've soldered them all together now. The door locks are still functioning, so maybe I got it right? Rolling Eyes

Next up... new spark plugs & throttle body + MAF clean.
 LR3 - 2005 Java Black SE 4.4 V8 

Last edited by Gamester on 15th Aug 2017 2:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18453758th Aug 2017 8:09 pm
Gamester

I'm enjoying working on my 3.

This week I painted the wheels with satin black Dupli-Color wheel paint. That was a fun project. I like seeing immediate results.

I also managed to bang the dent out of the rear driver's side pillar. It's not pretty. But the upper tailgate closes properly now without the hatch's glass hitting the dented body anymore. Yay! Smile

I've installed new spark plugs. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Upon driving again, I noted a big difference in power.

I also checked the air filter. While the filter itself was still good, the plastic housing of the box had hairline cracks in it. These were from over-tightening of the hose clamps. Significant air was being drawn into the system - bypassing the air filter! I ran a hot soldering iron over the cracks (inside and out) and it is sealed and functional again. Damage from over-tightening the air filter hose clamps is something worth checking on you own truck.

I've done a 'scoop' mod to the cabin filter intake. I bolted a cover piece to the intake (under the windshield cowl) to keep water out of the interior. I recycled a plastic washer fluid container for the job.

The PDC has never worked on my 3, so I started investigating the problem. Had the bumper off. The truck is like a big Lego set. Through the process of elimination, I've deduced that I have three faulty rear parking sensors to replace.

Next up.... start into changing some fluids.
 LR3 - 2005 Java Black SE 4.4 V8  
Post #184751215th Aug 2017 2:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >