Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Gear box problems on a Discovery 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chelt36

United Kingdom 
Gear box problems on a Discovery 4

I have an intermittent scraping / sucking noise, sometimes at the same time as a momentary loss of power / judder, when changing up through the gears at low speeds, on a 35,000 mile 2015 plate Discovery 4. It seems to be worse at the end of the day and/or in warmer weather. This is my third Discovery, and I’ve never had problems with the automatic gearbox before, and this one is only 3 and a half years old and hasn’t even been off road.
This came on just after main dealer had replaced the turbo for the second time, under the extended warranty. They say the new problem is not associated with the previous issue, which I can’t argue with – but want to charge me over a £1000 to change the automatic gear box oil (which I understand shouldn’t need doing until 150,000 miles) because the extended warranty doesn’t cover oils. LR customer service are being very long winded, and not at all helpful.
Does anyone have any experience of anything similar with the automatic gearbox? Other gearbox threads seem to be different issues. It is difficult to describe the noise – but the best I can do is a “cross between a stick being dragged along the road and a sharp intake of breath”! I guess that it is gearbox related due to the associated loss of power.
Any advice would be appreciated before I lose all faith!

Post #199426823rd Oct 2018 5:53 pm
D4commercialsdv6

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

If it is the transmission fluid why don’t you try Bristol Transmissions, they are fully equipped to do a fluid change. Save about 400-500 quid too boot. I had mine done when there didn’t seem to be anyone able to do the 8 speed in fact I was too be the guinea pig so to speak, ended up as second 8 speed box. Shouldn’t hurt your warranty unless LR try and kick up over it being non LR. There again they may use Bristol and add on a hefty service charge.
 Commercial SDV6 8 Speed 255
Audio upgrade
Bright pack
Convenience pack
Timed climate
Surround cameras
Xenon light Upgrade
Smart Witness Camera
Black grill & vents
Sidesteps 

Post #199427523rd Oct 2018 6:05 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Gear box problems on a Discovery 4

Chelt36 wrote:
I have an intermittent scraping / sucking noise, sometimes at the same time as a momentary loss of power / judder, when changing up through the gears at low speeds, on a 35,000 mile 2015 plate Discovery 4. It seems to be worse at the end of the day and/or in warmer weather. This is my third Discovery, and I’ve never had problems with the automatic gearbox before, and this one is only 3 and a half years old and hasn’t even been off road.
This came on just after main dealer had replaced the turbo for the second time, under the extended warranty. They say the new problem is not associated with the previous issue, which I can’t argue with – but want to charge me over a £1000 to change the automatic gear box oil (which I understand shouldn’t need doing until 150,000 miles) because the extended warranty doesn’t cover oils. LR customer service are being very long winded, and not at all helpful.
Does anyone have any experience of anything similar with the automatic gearbox? Other gearbox threads seem to be different issues. It is difficult to describe the noise – but the best I can do is a “cross between a stick being dragged along the road and a sharp intake of breath”! I guess that it is gearbox related due to the associated loss of power.
Any advice would be appreciated before I lose all faith!

If you're covered by an extended warranty, tell them to fix it, end of.

As you say, the oil is good for 150k miles (per LR) - half that in real life, so I'm not sure what changing it is supposed to achieve. IAC changing it the 'offical LR dealer' way should only cost around £600 - or under £250 if doing a megaflush using a special machine.

Sounds like this dealer is trying to rip you off ...

Post #199441224th Oct 2018 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >