Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Gearbox cooler pipes leak.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Gearbox cooler pipes leak.

Was changing the oil and noticed a bit of oil on the belly pan, I had at first assumed a rear diff seal but on closer inspection there was a drip from one of the gearbox cooler pipes.

The two flow/return are clipped together with 2 plastic clips and clamp at the front. While tracing the leak I moved the clip nearest the gearbox and I could see dirt and grit, on closer inspection it looked like the pipe had rusted there.

After changing the engine oil I started it up to check everything was ok and oil was pouring out of gearbox cooler pipe. The plastic clip had clearly been covering the hole. I suspect that dirt.grit was trapped in the clip and vibration rubbed it through

I cut a length on rubber hose and slit down the side, I was able to secure it to the pipe with 4 jubilee clips after opening out completely to get them over the pipe. I am sure it would have been ok but I didn't dare drive it lake that, just wanted to stop draining all the oil.

Ordered a new set of pipes from Brad at Yeovil Thumbs Up

Disconnecting the pipes is easy, 10mm bolt holding a clamp at the gearbox, 10mm nut holding a clamp near the front diff and 2 jubilee clips on the cooler.

That's where the easiness stops Rolling with laughter

For access, I had to remove the front passenger inner arch and all 3 belly plates

I did get the pipes out through the rear by the gearbox after a lot of fighting and disconnecting the front prop(which was a pain in itself). The prop doesn't come completely out because the cross member is in the way. Again maybe removing the cross member may have made thing easier.

Getting the new ones in is a completely different story partly because you can't be as rough with the new ones . After wasting quite a bit of time I found it best to separate the pipes and feed them in one at a time, only problem with this is it's a bit fiddly to put the clamp back on the front and the middle clip but I think it is the only way with the body on. The rubber pipes are formed and you need to make sure you route them the correct way at the front as there isn't much room to reroute if get it wrong. In hindsight separating the pipes to get the old ones out would have made things easier and I think maybe it would have been possible to do it without removing the prop.

Once connected back up I checked the oil level and had to add a little but that was most likely what I lost when disconnecting the pipes from the cooler.

I did take some pictures which I will add, where the pipe had corroded is quite scary, under the clip it had rusted and rubbed away the pipe and I'm guessing I could have ended up stranded somewhere as it could easily have dumped all of it's oil pretty quickly.

regards
Carl
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #13228209th Aug 2014 9:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have only ever seen a leak from these pipes once before. Hopefully it's not going to become a common problem Big Cry
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13228259th Aug 2014 9:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I've got a leak on my gearbox cooler pipes too. It's at the point the clamp holds the pipe to the engine where the metal pipe crimp joins the rubber. I believe the leak is under the rubber on the clamp rather than the crimp & caused due to corrosion / abrasion. We'll see on Thursday when the car goes in for it to be replaced.

Does anyone know if the gearbox has to be drained to change these pipes, or is it a case of a small amount of oil loss & then top up?

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #202904516th Feb 2019 1:23 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You don't need to drain the gearbox but you will lose some oil during the process.

It's another one of those jobs that would take 30mins tops with the body off.

It is fiddly to sat the least, I did mine on a 4 post lift but sometime I find these kind of things easier whole laying on the floor.

Mine had started to leak around one of the clips.
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #202934517th Feb 2019 12:28 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Easiest way is to drop the front diff out Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #202939417th Feb 2019 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >