Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Gearbox hanging on to gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I now have my truck back with the belt done,as previously said in previous post i intend to put some Dr tranny in the autobox and top up with transmission oil if needed.
The question I am asking is if and only if I need to top the gearbox up with transmission oil, which oil do you suggest I use? as the reason being I do not know what was previously used in the past and need to be careful on what type to use.
Any advice would be hge helpful
Pete

Post #21187195th Feb 2020 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
James W

United Kingdom 

Page 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...atalog.pdf

Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #21187215th Feb 2020 7:11 pm
Trucks

Thanks for that James a lot of information there. Thumbs Up

Post #21187655th Feb 2020 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trucks

update on my planned Dr Tranny's additive to the gearbox.

well it's done,two tubes put in via the radiator cooler easy to do,i removed the top hose as explained on a blog on this site,and as others pointed out there is a problem of getting the fluid down the black pipe as it seems to remain filled to a few millimetres from the top.so without getting beat I done the reverse,got a clear one metre of pipe warmed the end with a heat gun and pushed over the radiator cooler outlet/inlet.
the use of clear pipe is quite obvious as you can see the fluid moving down the tube,it was still very slow going into the radiator cooler but then I decided to try some gentle force by blowing down the tube and it went in easy,try and stop the lube about an inch from the radiator fitting as so no needless air gets in the system then let it run in on its own accord,a one metre tube held up will hold one tube of Dr tranny and will go in the radiator with a gentle blow in less than 30 seconds.
when finished I got her indoors to keep an eye on the black return/outlet just in case the pipe blew off but as I expected there was none.
I shifted through the the gears four times in auto,sports and manual no problems.
I was sceptical about doing it this way as to the diehards will say all sorts of things about this and that and it will cause this or that but it was done none the less, and when you think about it the oil goes in a complete circle anyway,in the gearbox out the gearbox back in back out all the time the motor is running.
another thing I suggest you do is get a syringe and fix some 2mm tube on the end and draw some gearbox fluid from the removed pipe and you can see the state off your oil obviously the longer the tube the more you can reach down and withdraw some oil.
my transmission oil was as clean as the top up bottle I bought if I needed to add some oil,i also done a viscosity test against each other the old fashion way by dipping a new mastic nozzle dispenser in each transmission oil (old/new) and noted the speed off run off the tip of the nozzle,it was exactly the same,its not scientific but you can see the cleanliness of you oil and a reasonable state of viscosity in it .

well the results Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

the improvement was almost straightaway the gear changing was so much better no hanging on to the gears and one morning it was minus one degree ,i backed out the drive(on a quite steep slope) just perfect and went down the road as it should,no high revs and moving slowly just a normal automatic, you should have seen the grin on my face at 5am that day.
now four days later and after 300 miles covered it drives even better I just can't believe the difference £24 spent on eBay could make such a vast improvement.
so give it a try. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

sorry if it's long winded but someone might find it interesting/useful

Post #212087113th Feb 2020 9:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >