Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

General Grabber AT3 - "Not recommended" !!? - Surely WRONG ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
General Grabber AT3 - "Not recommended" !!? - Surely WRONG ?

I've moved onto a D4 from my D3 which was on GG AT3s, and have been thinking of Winter/Off-Road tyres and had virtually decided to go for 255/55/19 General Grabber AT3 111H then I read this review "2018 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test":-

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-...e-Test.htm

Quote:
They came 8th out of 10 tyres with the summary being:-
Positive: Low noise level.
Negative: Very poor wet grip, high risk of aquaplaning, long stability and long braking distances in the snow.
Overall: Not recommended.
Big Cry

I must confess to being very surprised & equally confused!

I need a 19" tyre which offers carries the three-peak snowflake symbol & M+S mark.

It must offer good performance in the wet & off-road - not "serious" off-roading but on farmland & tracks when shooting.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #208288511th Sep 2019 9:33 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The answer is in the first paragraph (from memory) of the test article. The comparison test was primarily for road tyres with a couple of All Terrain tyres thrown into the mix (again from memory).

I’m on my phone otherwise I’d link it all for you Nigel. Thumbs Up

If I were you, I’d be fitting the Pirelli Scorpion AT+ and take into account that braking distances will inevitably longer than a road tyre.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Last edited by LT on 11th Sep 2019 9:52 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #208288811th Sep 2019 9:43 am
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've just got Land Rover Monthly and they have done a test for the best 10 tyres for your Land Rover.
General Grabber AT3 is amongst the 10.
Quote "A well-priced tyre thats gaining swift popularity for its affordability, low road noise and great on and off-road traction......the Grabber isn't designed for harsh off-road conditions and heavy payloads, but for the most part gets the job done and is often happiest on a softroader or light-duty 4x4" Unquote.
They do not rate the tyres from best to worse but they are the ten best that you should consider buying.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #208289211th Sep 2019 9:51 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It's the usual problem of comparing apples and oranges. The Grabber AT3 is an all season, all terrain tyre; the others in the test were all season road tyres. The road tyres are always going to do better in winter road conditions than the all terrains do, because they are designed to work there. The all terrain compromises on road performance in order to give off road performance, hence why they are marketed as 50/50 tyres.

If you need winter performance more than off road performance, I'd go with a winter rated road tyre and be circumspect when off road. They'll be fine on farm tracks (puncture risks notwithstanding) and if you are going somewhere that could be muddy, choose your spot carefully. If you need the off road ability, then take extra care on wet roads on all terrains.

All terrains can still get stuck - as I found out last year when feeding pheasants. Part worn Grabber AT3s, slight up slope with little run up on wet grass. Really struggled and needed to choose a slightly different line to get up. A road tyre would have struggled more, of course, but nothing short of a big knobbly tyre would have got through without issue. I'll be interested to see how the Pirelli AT+ works this year if I find myself in similar situations.

Sorry, I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I? Embarassed
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #208295611th Sep 2019 12:27 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was very pleased with my Duratracs but currently have AT3 on and notice little difference.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #208298011th Sep 2019 1:28 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thank-you gentlemen - I'm still working on it.

Further thoughts most welcome.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #208320812th Sep 2019 7:48 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just noticed Pirelli AT+ are available in 19”. Wonder if anyone’s tried them yet?

I’ve got Grabber AT3’s which are coming up for replacing and I was wondering the same. Have had Duratracs before which were great, but less keen now they have a Q speed rating. AT3’s were good at the start but less so now, and that review was using new tyres...

Pirelli ATRs were great although Duratracs are better in mud but this new AT+ might be the answer.

Post #208322012th Sep 2019 8:26 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I'm using the Pirelli AT+. On road it's similar to the AT3, although perhaps not quite as strong when pushed. Haven't done anything serious off road since I fitted the AT+ as I've had them on this summer only. Will be interesting to see how they do as the weather worsens.

I found the AT3 to be very good on road when new but they got a bit slippery in the wet as they wore past 50%. I'm hoping the AT+ doesn't do the same.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #208432216th Sep 2019 12:40 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I used to run grabbers but always changed to wintacs in winter the grabbers were not as good as road tyres in slush and snow, even worse when slightly worn
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #208432916th Sep 2019 12:58 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The old Grabber AT wasn't winter rated. The AT3 is but even so will never be as good as a pure winter road tyre. Anyone using a winter rated AT needs to remember that they're on a compromise tyre. It's better than a summer tyre, not nearly as good as a winter tyre. Better than both off road, of course.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #208488517th Sep 2019 11:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >