Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

General Tyre Grabber AT2 in SA?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LandieSA

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
General Tyre Grabber AT2 in SA?

Any indication when General Tyre's Grabber AT2 in 255/60R18 will be available in SA, if ever? Have posted a query on Continental SA's site 3 days ago, but no reply yet.

I need new tyres soon. The Pirelli Scorpions are very soft and even mild dirt roads cause serious scuffing. Stick with the Goodyears if no serious off-roading is planned.

Post #15645211th May 2007 6:00 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've been in touch with the KZN sales manager who told me late May. However I got a puncture in the Midlands this weekend on my Wranglers, so sent him a mail this morning to be more specific regarding dates. Not sure if the Wranglers are any better on the dirt than the Scorpions. Mine have done 30k and are stuffed, but LRSA are chipping in for my next set of tyres.

Post #15703914th May 2007 9:39 am
robharvey

Good news (and bad). Conti have imported 50 tyres of which 40 are coming to KZN (five are mine) and 10 to Joburg. Another 100 units will be here in 4 - 6 weeks for those of you who can wait. Have no idea on cost yet but will post when I do.

Post #15709614th May 2007 1:59 pm
OursBlanc

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi all

I do not know if it can help u, but even in France, it's very hard to get Grabbers. The last news I've from Continental Tire Truck Division is that a few will be available on May 23rd to the french importer. Some are mine.

They're late, very late, and they probably try to fullfill all market needs all around the world.

Post #15711714th May 2007 3:26 pm
robharvey

The Grabbers are on and had their first run up to Umfolozi this weekend. Ride a little bit gnarlier (as to be expected) but I was surprised at how little road noise there was, even on cement freeway. I got mine through a friend for just over R2500 each, TWT are wanting around R3800 fitted.

At this early stage I'm happy to have swapped to AT tyres, it just gives me the confidence to take the vehicle where it was intended to go.

Post #15954521st May 2007 6:00 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

HI Rob - please let us know how the Grabbers behave on the road - do you notice any difference in grip, cornering, braking?

I'm a bit envious, 'cos I had to replace the orginal Pirelli scorpions 2 months ago, as they were at the legal limit (after about 35000km), and at that time we were still getting a lot of rain, so would have been dumb to hang on. I had no real choice but the scorpions or wranglers, which as we know are great road tyres, but not really meant for rocks etc, so I went with the scorpions.
OK, I have the STT's for the real offroad trips, but they are SO noisy on tar. I was hoping to get the Grabbers, 'cos they look like a good balance for the typical SA user, ie. long trips on tar, and a bit of sand & rock work when you get to your destination, but they just came too late.
I guess in another 30-40 thousand k's I will have more choices for tyres than exist today - maybe even the much-lauded BFG?

Post #15954621st May 2007 6:45 am
robharvey

Baben, will do. Briefly (and after only having done 700km's) I've found the following:

Grip seems fine, cornering not as good as the Wranglers, haven't had to do an emergency brake yet, but general braking fine. I was driving quite gingerly on them, but they will start to take more abuse as my confidence in them grows. I'm not expecting as good on-road performance as the Wranglers, purely because that would be like asking the QE2 to do the same job as a navy corvette.

I don't know if it was my imagination but fuel consumption seemed a tad higher, but again time will tell. What I can tell you is they look fantastic, even the staff at LR passed comment(positive).

Will give more feedback in the future.

Post #15967521st May 2007 12:42 pm
gary160171

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rob, I see you mentioned that LRSA is chipping in for your next set of tyres. I have been thru 2 sets of Pirelli scorpions 19inch in 60000kms and today Land Rover Umlanga tell me to bring my car in for them to check wheel alignment as there has been a problem or something. Which dealership agreed to weigh in for your tyres and did you battle to get them to come to the paty? If anyone has any other info relkated I would appreciae it - thanks

Gary
 Life is where your discovery takes you........  
Post #1868077th Aug 2007 9:46 pm
robharvey

Gary,

I got the refund directly from Umhlanga, with LRSA's backup. Check if your Vin number is between 5A300259 and 6A403382, and if so point them in the direction of TSB LA204-008. This TSB states that uneven tyre wear may be caused by a degree of bush settle that affects the geometry of the tyres increasing tyre wear.

In plain language if your tyres have been wearing on the inside quicker than the outside then you should qualify.

I phoned LR customer helpline first, and asked them if they would like to chip in for my next set as I thought 30k was way too short a lifespan for my tyres. They told me to go to Umhlanga and get a test done on my tyres (I had to pay about R200 for this as they send it to Supa Quick). About a week later they phoned back to say LR would pay 40% of my next 4 tyres, which I bought as I didn't want highway tyres, and they gave me a refund cheque. I must point out that I had been complaining about the alignment since the 12k service, so my problem was well documented.

It was all pretty painless, no screaming and shouting required. PM me your number if you want to chat about it.

Rob

Post #1868758th Aug 2007 5:38 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Rob - sounds like the tyres are a pretty good option then.
I would be surprised if your consumption was not affected, as the rolling resistance should be quite different to the road tyres, plus you can bet those AT2's are a lot heavier than the Wangler/Skerpioene, which means they take a lot more energy to get rolling.
An extreme example, but with my STT's on I can add an extra 1.5l/100 if I don't tone down the driving a bit.

Post #1869468th Aug 2007 10:08 am
robharvey

Baben,

You're dead right about the consumption going up. It's particularly noticeable in town (stop/start) and when I'm at 140+ on the freeway. Overall I would say up about 1 - 1.5l/100km.

Decent test coming up for the tyres (and car) in September when I go to Botswana for 2 and a half weeks. Will give feedback then (as well as updating the reliabilty poll)

Post #1869868th Aug 2007 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >