Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Going to France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think its easy to look at these requirements as an imposition and to seek the minimum, but I feel the rules are not such bad things.....I feel alot safer wearing a hivis jacket and would want all my family to wear them too if I was stranded. Light bulbs are important and moderately simple to replace.....and waning people not to go rear ending you with Triangles can't be a bad thing Smile ....and who can afford to speed in a Disco these days anyway Rolling Eyes

Maybe a few other useful notes.....toll moterways, although lovely to drive do tot up the bill (over £40 to Poitiers) and the non-toll routs are not that bad and may only add an hour......see the sights 8)

Also, don't get caught cleaning your car anywhere other than the official car wash!!

BTW...although this is about France, if you end up dipping into Spain and wear spectacles....you need 2 current pairs (my username may hint to the fact I might be in the know on this one Laughing )

Post #80835419th Jun 2011 9:32 am
anglofrog

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

i still cannot understand why it is when is someting that may save your life people carp about hi viz vests Shocked
they sell kits here vests and triangle and they are cheap Shocked
what cost a life Censored Censored
 Doing my best on the red wine lake, as its good for the heart
my other 4+4 is a real tractor but not as much fun on road 

Post #80842119th Jun 2011 1:28 pm
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Moving on to spare bulbs is this kit woth having in the Disco when in France?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-HG-079-00-Un...sim_auto_2

Cheers

Post #80928921st Jun 2011 4:14 pm
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

john ov wrote:
Moving on to spare bulbs is this kit woth having in the Disco when in France?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-HG-079-00-Un...sim_auto_2

Cheers

John
That little kit and it's usefulness rather depends on what Disco 3 model you have and whether it has Bi-Xenons.
Go through your handbook and check out the bulbs supplied and the ones on the car. If you have got Bi-Xenons then carrying a spare is a bit of a no no. Go for side lamp bulbs as well as indicators, front and back as well as stop and tail together with number plate bulbs and the same for the caravan if towing one. Nearly every super marche in France has a car section, the big ones, Carrefour, Auchan and E LeClerc have quite extensive car sections. So replacements are easy to restock if needed.
How much travelling will you be doing after dark? In all honesty the cut off of the standard headlamps is so good you won't have a problem if you choose not to fit deflectors.How many HGVs do you see with deflectors?
As someone who spends a lot of time at his 'retirement project' in the Dordogne and own a Renault 5 runabout for use when I'll down there I can honestly say I would show at least one Hi Viz vest. ALWAYS carry your driving licence (Permit de Conduire) along with your insurance papers. Carry the V5 document as this is often required (Carte Gris)
I have never been asked for my MOT certificate! For French cars this information is stuck on the Carte Gris.
Every time I have been stopped, you are very likely to be stopped for no reason, that's the French for you, the Gendarmes have always been very polite but they DO require the paperwork there and then. So carry it along with your passport. The French men folk carry those bum bags for good reason!

I have noticed the ever increasing numbers of Gendarmes out and about last year in this. They are the ones NOT wearing Hi-Viz outfits! Every utility company operative wears one including very fetching hi-Viz trousers, but the Gendarmes are still dressed in drab blue whatever the situation. The French do keep an eye out for the Gendarmes in likely situations, villages especially where 50 kph is regularly enforced.
Oh and wear your seat belts, the are VERY hot on that even in HGVs.
As for spanners, there is only so much you can do by the roadside, so I go with European Breakdown Insurance.
Ian

Post #82046225th Jul 2011 6:21 pm
mrandmrsselby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have just come back from France, and didn't take anything apart from wife and kids - ooops

Post #82125228th Jul 2011 11:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

mrandmrsselby wrote:
I have just come back from France, and didn't take anything apart from wife and kids - ooops

99% of all trips will be OK, but when that 1% blip happens, well the consequence can ruin your holiday/trip!
You might never see a gendarme, but they are out there.
The gendarmes aren't malicious, just sticklers for the French 'rules'!
So it just isn't worth it surely?

Ian

Post #82190831st Jul 2011 9:46 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Best tip when driving in France...
Turn left as soon as you arrive and get into another country as quickly as possible! Laughing

Post #82191731st Jul 2011 10:44 am
Jim1000

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What I want to know is why the French have the stupidest rule on the planet... The insistence that budgie smugglers (Speedos) are worn in swimming pools. No shorts allowed. Even a French woman I asked yesterday had no answer.
Neutral
 Nov 04 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Black  
Post #82203531st Jul 2011 8:15 pm
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The speedos thing isn't universal... only 2 of about 8 pools that we've gone to in Brittany insist on it. The reasoning is, I suppose, to stop people coming in from the outside, already wearing swimming shorts which may therefore be dirty. It is annoying if you don't have them though, and our two teenage boys are both too self-conscious to allow us to use those 2 rogue pools!

Equally annoying are Irish pools, which all (in my experience) insist on you wearing a big condom on yer 'ead Shocked
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #82206031st Jul 2011 9:32 pm
VanTheNewMan

United Kingdom 

French food is also disgusting. Never had a decent meal in that country. But... still go back. 2 weeks time!

Post #82206531st Jul 2011 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >