DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Good-Year Wranglers - My experience.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Good-Year Wranglers - My experience.

Well everyone,
Taught this might be of interest to people on here seen as alot of people are always looking for comparisons on different tyres and this is only my experiences and input on Good-Year Wranglers (M+S) 255/60R18. Having gone through three sets since i have owned the Disco from new i taught this might be worth posting.
My disco has roughly 116,000 km’s on the clock from new since registered in may 2007 and the following is a breakdown of mileage I have got from each set of Wranglers and a small explanation as to possible cause of wear rates. Bearing in mind I work for a civil engineering company on Road projects and alot of km’s would be covered on-site over stoney ground until tar goes down. Im in need of replacement now in next few weeks as my third set is fairly worn and have found with recent wet conditions the wranglers have tendency to Aquaplane, which has led to a few “check the trouser moments”. Below is a breakdown of the sets.
• Set 1. (0 km – 36,000km; 22.5k miles). I have put this down to the nature of the ground I would have been covering, very stoney (capping). The set had few chunks taken out of them due to large sharp stones and when changed them they were down to the wear nub. Good traction in wet and muddy conditions in general, but found once thread was down to minimum that in wet weather and standing pools the disco had tendency to Aquaplane.
• Set 2 (36,000km – 72,000km; 23k miles). Again this set got through similar conditions as first set covering similar type of ground. Would have got more from this set except the 2 fronts were wearing badly on inside so had to change as it was due a test. Decided on another set of wranglers as was pleased with how the first two sets had performed in most conditions. (mud, wet grass & wet conditions, on road traction found to be good.)
• Set 3 (72,000 – 116,000k; 27.5k miles, currently). Alot of our job would have been tarred since set 2 so this set has far surpassed the first two sets. The ground type definitely has a big impact on wear rates I think and it really has shown on this set as most of driving now is on tarmac. With recent wet conditions i have found that aquaplaning has started to rear its ugly head so will be changing in next fortnight or so.
Considering going for Pirelli Scorpion ATR’s just for change and see how they compare to three previous sets of Wranglers. Other than that i would have no problem recommending wranglers as a good all-round tyre and find that they are reasonably priced.

Sorry its so long winded. Embarassed
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #55693627th Nov 2009 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Muddypaws

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Good report. I've just bought a set of Wranglers so it's nice to hear a good recommendation for them.

M
 Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
08 D3 HSE
Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle Road King 1802cc 

Post #55700827th Nov 2009 6:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Had 18" Wranglers on SWMBO's D3 when bought it from JMC, absolutely hated them!! When you hit the white lines in the road they skidded all over the road, was esp bad in the wet. Swapped them for a set of 17" Contis and a vast improvement!!!

Post #55703027th Nov 2009 7:05 pm
peter.c

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just swapped my 17" conti's for 18" Pirelli AT/R's. They are very precise with steering, and much less apparent roll. Very pleased.

Post #55719127th Nov 2009 11:20 pm
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

DSL,

cant say i have any experience in relation to the white lining effect, but they are a good tyre in the wet as long as you have decent thread on them. But find as soon as thread is down to minimun in wet conditions it can be scary sometimes. had first frost of this year here last night so need to change sooner rather than later me thinks!!
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #55821530th Nov 2009 6:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >