Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Good Year Wranglers - thumbs down!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had nothing but good experiances with HP's. Only had the D3 for 2 months and went up into the Cairngorms.
We then drove approx 5 to 6 miles into various areas of the Strathspey estate, all tracks were white out and traces of ice below, the D3 & Wrangler Hp's took it all in it's stride, even reversing back down some of the track for upto a mile, due to snow drifts etc.

This is what we had came up, reversed down and if you look about 3/4s of the way down in the photo, you will see the track winding into the distance.

Click image to enlarge

I found keeping a level head, letting the vehicle do the work and not rushing was the way to go.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #4139242nd Feb 2009 10:35 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thank you for all your replies, some good reading, I hope you don't think I just drive at full throttle thinking it's right its a 4X4, it will be as good in the snow as it is in the dry! I don't! Razz I have seen alot of folk driving 4X4's round alot faster than they should do! I will see how I go tomorrow! After all, I dont need to rush to work as I work for myself!

Post #4139312nd Feb 2009 10:43 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Doesn't matter what make the tyre is - a winter tyre is going to be best in winter and, therefore, snow. Whether it is two or four wheel drive. Its not only tread pattern but also rubber compound. Winter biased tyres perfrom better in lower temperatures (hence why they are somwhat dangerous in warm, wet conditions. And will only last 12 months if left on all year...speaking from experience on both counts...) and the tread pattern is designed so it doesn't compact snow in the grooves. It is the compact snow that goes a long way towards loss of traction, grip etc.

An off-road tyre will probably go some way to keeping the tread free, but it's still not a winter biased tyre.

And IIRC, the M+S doesn't actually mean mud and snow in the strictest sense. The tyre needs to have a snowflake pattern on it to really be a winter/snow tyre.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #4139722nd Feb 2009 11:08 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I found a definition that details the difference between the snowflake and M&S symbol on tyres, might be useful to understand as there appears to be some confusion on here as to whether they are the same or different Thumbs Up

Taken from Here http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#20060912

Quote:
Snow & mud or ice : special winter tyres
Winter tyres come at the other end of the spectrum to performance tyres, obviously. They're designed to work well in wintery conditions with snow and ice on the roads. Winter tyres typically have larger, and thus noiser tread block patterns. In extreme climates, true snow tyres have tiny metal studs fabricated into the tread for biting into the snow and ice. The downside of this is that they are incredibly noisy on dry roads and wear out both the tyre and the road surface extremely quickly if driven in the dry. Mud & snow tyres typically either have 'M&S' stamped on the tyre sidewall. Snow & Ice tyres have a snowflake symbol.

Post #4139852nd Feb 2009 11:30 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

SNOW AND ICE verses RUBBER !

Only one winner, but you ALL SHOULD BUY NEW TYRES, good for small business. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Andy.

Post #4140933rd Feb 2009 8:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
viethson

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

I also have GY Wranglers on and I think they are good tyres for dry and wet roads. I was also impressed by their offroad capabilities. BUT I got really scared when driving on snow and slush. They had quite a good grip, so getting the car in motion is not the problem but STOPPING it was -well- interesting.
Even with only some slight braking the ABS went on almost immediatly, which tells me that the tyres are losing grip quite easily. I am happy i did not have to apply full braking in any sort of emergency but i will certainly get some real winter tyres for the next winter season.
 Life in the slow lane  
Post #4143413rd Feb 2009 6:08 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you have enough grip to pull away then the lack of grip stopping is probably due to the momentum of a 2,700KG weight pushing on them along with maybe too much speed Whistle

Even the AT2's (not a snow tyre I by any means) will slide when cornering and stopping. So will MTR's and Coopers etc etc.

Only way to help avoid this tyre wise is proper ice and snow tyres or chains or pikes... or drive like your granny round corners.

Post #4143633rd Feb 2009 6:28 pm
dealmaker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Anyone driven a decent 4 wheeler on studded tyres? I have driven a D3 in Norway with them on - all I can say is that it's spooky!...almost like driving on regular tarmac - most of the roads are under permanent layers of compacted snow but you have huge amounts of traction and lateral grip!

Post #4145503rd Feb 2009 10:23 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

simon wrote:
or drive like your granny round corners.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter mine's always on the wrong side of the road at the best of times Shocked Shocked

Post #4147254th Feb 2009 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I had a full set of Pewag chains on the 110 over Sunday/Monday night, give you a great safety feeling, and around here was the only thing that keep the J8 slip clear of trucks, Highway boys on standard Dunlop road tyres on the Landcruiser's just sat in the warm and watched, great fun. Thumbs Up

Andy.

Post #4147494th Feb 2009 9:24 am
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

we have had some considerable snow fall on the east coast of Ireland here since sunday night, and im running 255/60R18 wranglers with about 4-5mm thread. What i found was that on roads that had not been travelled to be safest for driving as the snow is still powdery and allows the tyre threads to sink into top layer for grip. On busy roads i found i had less grip due to the snow being compacted and hence the threads could not sink in for grip. Just my opinion on the matter seen as i run wranglers aswell!
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #4148504th Feb 2009 1:07 pm
primoreggazzo

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

check your tyre pressures....too high?

Post #4149674th Feb 2009 3:23 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I would say MTR for loose snow and real winter tyres for snow that driven over already. So you might need to change your tyres a few times on your way home. Laughing
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #4154365th Feb 2009 8:15 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Speaking to Mr Cobley last weekend at Yarwell, he said on the new MY10 Discovery the driver will be able to deflate and inflate the tyres without leaving the comfort of the drivers seat. Witchcraft I say Smile
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #4154585th Feb 2009 9:32 am
Tom W

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have used the inflate/deflate gizmo on a unimog,blxxdy exciting when it decided to deflate at 50mph Shocked Dont fancy that happening in aD3 at motorway speeds....... Shocked Shocked

Post #4154645th Feb 2009 9:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >