Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Goodbye and Hello
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Goodbye and Hello

After nearly four years of utter joy (apart from the occasional usual Land Rover issue) I have sold the D4 HSE Luxury and purchased a Discovery (5) HSE Luxury. Below are my initial thoughts on the car coming from a D4 for anyone thinking of doing the same. I am aware some people absolutely hate the D5 and some love it. But the thoughts below are my own hopefully unbiased opinion.

But before I get into the “review” I wanted to start by thanking all of you for all your help, advice, comments, photos, posts etc over the years. I have loved reading all about everyone’s Land Rover experiences (both good and bad), seeing photos and videos of these amazing cars in action and been very grateful for the help when required, especially a few years ago when my wife and I were stuck in Milan having had our tyre slashed the night before. So a huge thank you to you all!!!

Now to the rambling thoughts on the D5 both good and bad.

The Good
Gosh, where to start! The infotainment is faster, clearer and with many more gadgets (which yes I do appreciate can go wrong lol!). Do you need to be able to fold the seats down from your mobile or central screen? Nope. But it’s useful to have. The dashboard screen is superb and shows the Sat Nav very clearly. A number of reviewers say the screen is not as good as Audi’s virtual cockpit. As an owner of the RS4 Avant and A3, I see very little difference between Audi and Land Rover screen clarity unless you were somehow watching a 4k movie or something on it.

The self-opening tailgate is good and the bench bit that comes down not actually as stupid and annoying as I thought it would be.

The two sun blinds that go across the panoramic roof are excellent and unlike on the D4, actually keep the interior cool and the sun out!

I love the steering wheel and the fact the buttons change depending on which feature you are using. Very clever.

Off road: I was deeply impressed that the car did not get stuck while attempting to cross a wet, muddy, plowed field (as my friends looked on somewhat shocked I’d tried it!). I am not saying it is better than the D4 but I was mightily impressed.

It’s a quieter and more serene place to sit. The front seats I believe are more comfortable than the D4. And as the vehicle is quieter I believe the sound system is better. I am certainly no expert at all but listening to The Best of Pavarotti on the way back from the dealership was wonderful.

The Bad
It’s massive! More than likely someone will prove me wrong statistically but it feels so much bigger than the D4 which let’s be honest is no shrinking violet!

And yet, despite it’s size the storage and boot is so much smaller. For example I could fit a roll of loo paper (very useful for some of the French motorway services!) in one of the cubby holes in the boot. Can’t in the 5. In fact half the stuff I had in the D4 will now not fit in the 5.

The position of the plug for your phone and placing your phone in the central tray means every time you want to get into the deeper bin underneath the wire gets stuck and or pulls the phone out of the tray and on one occasion onto the floor. There is also an open tray just below the heating controls. Be warned though that if you lace anything there, it will slide out with any form of acceleration.

And on that note: I do not feel that the car is any faster than the D4. In fact I feel it is slower (NB I have the 3 ltr or at least I hope I do!). The steering is even more vague than the D4 and in fact there have been a couple of instances where I genuinely wondered if the wheel was connected.

At motorway speeds the vehicle almost rocks from it’s base (if that makes sense). Almost like a boat.

The self-parking is hopeless. I nearly parked in a tree and on another occasion the car failed to recognise a parking space (That at least two D5s could have fitted in).

While the infotainment is better and faster, it’s confusing that some of the settings/information is found on the central screen and some on the driver’s information. But I am sure over time I will work all this out. For example the coming home lights are done on the dashboard, the interior lighting done on the central screen. The settings for the windows and door locks done on the dashboard but for the deployable steps the settings are on the central screen. It’s not the end of the world just confusing at the moment as to what is where.

Conclusion
Overall I am very happy with the car and would recommend one to anyone who is looking to upgrade from a D4. The technology is better, it’s a more serene car to travel in and the interior is an improvement on the D4. You will note I have not mentioned the design. It’s not a looker that’s for sure but personally I have grown used to it’s backside.

So it’s goodbye to the D4 forum and hello to the D5 one! And to those who own a D4 I wish you all the very best. I loved mine.
 2014 D4 HSE Lux  
Post #210653916th Dec 2019 7:01 pm
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

A very fair summary of the D5 I think. Thumbs Up

If they end up face lifting it in the new year (or in a couple of years) I think that would make more people interested.

Post #210666817th Dec 2019 11:52 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
D4 vs D5 - dimensions

Quote:
The Bad
It’s massive! More than likely someone will prove me wrong statistically but it feels so much bigger than the D4 which let’s be honest is no shrinking violet!

Here are the relative dimensions of the D4 & D5.

Click image to enlarge

There's only 1mm in height, 32 mm in beam, but rather more difference in their lengths at 141 mm - but that's only 5.5".

Boot capacity is, as already noted, down on the D5.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #210667417th Dec 2019 12:16 pm
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Very handy picture that! Thumbs Up

Post #210668017th Dec 2019 12:28 pm
Pelyma

England 

I’m surprised that the drive hasn’t bowled you over, most owners seem to feel it drives much better than the D4 with either of the engines.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #210669017th Dec 2019 12:54 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nice honest appraisal of the two.

And with that, I'd like your thoughts on the 'command/stadium seating' arrangement between the two.

Thank you
Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #210670017th Dec 2019 1:34 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Re: Goodbye and Hello

Landroverfan1 wrote:

Off road: I was deeply impressed that the car did not get stuck while attempting to cross a wet, muddy, plowed field (as my friends looked on somewhat shocked I’d tried it!). I am not saying it is better than the D4 but I was mightily impressed.

The latest iteration of Terrain Response seems to be very good - as witnessed by the tug of war video elsewhere on the forum. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #210670417th Dec 2019 1:41 pm
Landroverfan1

Re: D4 vs D5 - dimensions

NJSS wrote:
Quote:
The Bad

Here are the relative dimensions of the D4 & D5.

Click image to enlarge

There's only 1mm in height, 32 mm in beam, but rather more difference in their lengths at 141 mm - but that's only 5.5".

Boot capacity is, as already noted, down on the D5.

NJSS

Thanks for this. Seems there is very little difference.
 2014 D4 HSE Lux  
Post #210670717th Dec 2019 2:18 pm
Landroverfan1

ronp wrote:
Nice honest appraisal of the two.

And with that, I'd like your thoughts on the 'command/stadium seating' arrangement between the two.

Thank you
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much. Will have to wait till all 7 seats are in use and will report back.
 2014 D4 HSE Lux  
Post #210670817th Dec 2019 2:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >