Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
christophe

Luxembourg 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Goodyear Wrangler MTR

A question for all of you who drive everyday with Goodyear Wrangler MTR on 19'rims: what about your insurance in case of an accident, since the speed rating of the tire is lower than the one approved by Landrover for the disco 3?
I would like to put the MTR on mine but my dealer tells me that the tire is not officially approved by Landrover, eventhough they use it for the G4 Challenge. He also tells me that puting these tires would go against the conformity certificate of the vehicule. My tire dealer even tells me that he is not allowed to put these tires on my vehicule. Any comments about all this? I really would like to be able to have mud tires on my 19'rims! Maybe someone from Luxembourg who did it and could help me on that?

Post #28574112th Apr 2008 1:13 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

No problem with my ins co (Land Rover Ins). I also run winter tyres on my Jazz, they are only available in lower speed rating and ins co OK with that.

Post #28574612th Apr 2008 1:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

In the UK it's not illegal to fit a lower speed rating ....but your insurers may not pay out if they proved that you crashed above the rated speed.

The "load index" number is the important factor - if you had an accident under any conditions and your tyres are below then if the insurance company investigate they are unlikely to payout. The MTR conforms to the required load index for the D3. The tyre has type approval up to it's relative speed rating so I don't see how your dealer is suggesting that you will not be in conformity...in fact ISTR that the latest rated MTR has a higher speed rating than the D3's maximum speed.

If your dealer keeps refusing to fit them then I would just go somewhere else TBH Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #28578612th Apr 2008 2:31 pm
warrior22

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Christophe, I know Luxembourg quite well as I have a good friend who lives in Echternach and I have visited quite often. He actually lives in Steinham on the way to Echternach just by the river. Lovely place to live!

Anyway, regarding the tyres, I've been on MTR's now for about 20,000 miles. They're brilliant tyres and were actually designed by Goodyear after being commissioned by Land Rover, explicitly for the Discovery 3. The speed rating is a little lower than the OE tyre, I think 115mph, which is really out of the park for the D3. I'm insured with Land Rover direct myself too and they have never said anything untoward regarding this tyre. If I was silly enough to go over 115mph and have an accident which could be proven was due to not being able to stop in time, or a blow out, then it would be my fault. I think your dealer over there is talking out of his rear. My friend over there bought a Discovery a few years ago from, I'm assuming, the same dealer in Lux and he was not impressed at all. He basically said that they didn't have a clue about Landys and should have been selling Fiats instead! Best to get them from somewhere else and if you've got any questions just ask people on here. At least you'll get a knowledgeable and honest answer which has been my experience.

Do you frequent The Cafe in Echternach square at all?

All the best Very Happy Thumbs Up
 Don't be paranoid.........'They' don't like it!!!!!!!
Currently: Land Rover
Previously: Other Land Rovers 

Post #28580812th Apr 2008 3:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >