Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Grabber AT3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Danos

Greece 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

HS66 wrote:
What tyre pressures do you guys run AT3s at?, I've just got a set in my RRS and they're at 30 psi, seems a bit low.

33-36 it's a all terrain tire with maximum pressure at 50 psi

Post #18744181st Nov 2017 1:46 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

DiscoRoyal wrote:
Any issues with rubbing on full lock or against the wheel arches in access mode?

Cant say ive noticed any on the Heathrow run.

Running 34 in the fronts - 37 in the backs. Went for a main dealer service last week and came back the same. Thumbs Up
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #18744331st Nov 2017 8:37 am
hc76

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

DiscoRoyal wrote:

Do you find the ride is harder due to the 45 profile?

I haven't noticed anything different in ride or behavour on the road. No extra road noise either which suprised me.

No rubbing issues.

Haven't really tested them in the mud yet, it has been so dry here for the last couple of months there hasn't been the opportunity. I'm sure that will change soon...
 2016 D4 Landmark - Waitomo/Ebony
2012 D4 HSE - Orkney/Almond - gone
2009 D4 XS - Buckingham/Ebony - gone 

Post #18746121st Nov 2017 5:57 pm
WW88

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Are these tyres suitable for mainly road use or are they a bit overkill?

Post #18748772nd Nov 2017 10:32 am
DiscoRoyal

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Given the AT3 has the Snowflake symbol is it classed as a winter tyre/all season tyre or do I need to buy dedicated winter tyres?

Post #18751802nd Nov 2017 10:44 pm
FISHBOY

WW88 wrote:
Are these tyres suitable for mainly road use or are they a bit overkill?

Even though my Mrs drives the truck 90% of the time as a school bus, my logic was that I went for the V spec which is C wet rated over the H rated E class giving pretty much the same performance as the Pirelli Zeros. Wasn't fussed about the fuel rating as we only do c6k mileas a year.

Also probably worth mentioning the cost saving vs Pirellis, the wear rate and the improved side wall protection.

Otherwise, biggest other thing for me was noise. Id heard that they were quiet by other members so went for it. Got to say I cannot notice any difference between the old Zeros and the AT3s.

Yet to really test them on wet roads yet but thus far they really haven't put a foot wrong.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #18753103rd Nov 2017 1:15 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just got them fitted today. Bit disappointed in that they don’t look as agressive as the AT2s, but noticeably considerably quieter than my AT2s. Car feels very different in a good way. Had loads of sets of ATs and this is a much better tyre IMHO on road. Not sure how it will work off road. In two minds, kind of prefer the look of the AT2s, but prefer the feel of the AT3s.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #18753753rd Nov 2017 8:20 pm
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I had hoped that the new AT3 had stronger sidewalls.............

It would not appear to be the case, 2 weeks old and a wrecked tyre

Now replaced, but that has thrown up another issue, a new 255/55R19 AT3 does not fit into the spare wheel well with the Tow Trust Towbar on ??

The side arms effectively circle the rear of the spare tyre and reduces size....

Any ideas, apart from taking the towbar off, which I am a bit loathed to do as I do tow occasionally - can the exhaust shields be bent a bit ??Will that make any difference ??

TIA

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #189154118th Dec 2017 12:06 pm
Buckster

England 

Put it in partially inflated and carry a compressor?

I was never convinced by the new Grabber after destroying some of the older A/Ts with the chocolate sidewalls!!
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #189155018th Dec 2017 12:35 pm
FISHBOY

SJ wrote:
I am considering buying a set of AT3's for my 20" wheels, However I'm a bit concerned about their performance in muddy / boggy grass conditions. (Most of my off roading takes place in the winter on muddy tracks and wet fields) They seem to be very much orientated towards wet roads and snowy conditions, even the construction / tread pattern looks like a snow tyre, and as anyone who has driven in muddy conditions on snow tyres knows; they don't perform at all well, they just get clogged up straight away!

I was quite happy with my AT2's on my old disco with 19" rims in fact I still have a set of part worn AT2's on 19" rims which I plan to run this winter.... but then what?

Would appreciate any muddy feedback Thumbs Up

Put the AT3s to the test yesterday at a farm clay shoot, going up a steep up hill mud track, across sodden grassy fields and sloppy mud ruts. While some 4x4s were skidding and sliding all over the place my disco remained straight and true. Ha ha wish I had recorded a big Porsche 4x4 thing (Cayenne?) trying to do a Clarkson digging itself a deep hole.

Only had it in mud and snow mode (rather than using the paddles) but has given me a great deal of confidence (not to mention a sore ear when the Mrs saw the state of the school bus) to explore.
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #189156118th Dec 2017 1:23 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Windy Corner wrote:
a new 255/55R19 AT3 does not fit into the spare wheel well with the Tow Trust Towbar on ??

The side arms effectively circle the rear of the spare tyre and reduces size....

You need to get the rear edge of the tyre up behind the tow bar fitting first and then winch the front edge up. It will fit but it's tight and might need a couple of attempts to get the technique. It will fit but it's jolly tight assuming the AT3 has the same dimensions as the 255/55/19 Grabber AT. If not, I'm going to keep the AT spare I have currently for some time!
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #189176918th Dec 2017 9:51 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Buckster wrote:

I was never convinced by the new Grabber after destroying some of the older A/Ts with the chocolate sidewalls!!

My AT3s did ok at Les Comes this year, Chris. No signs of any sidewall marks, unlike the ATs last year.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #189177118th Dec 2017 9:52 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Just fitted 4 x new GT AT3s, I think the road noise is noticeably quieter and they feel very sure footed on the road especially with the recent flooded roads. The sidewalls don't seem to bulge out like my old AT2s did (they always looked a bit flat). Not had chance to try off road yet or towing.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #189177318th Dec 2017 9:57 pm
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A thumbs up from me for the AT3’s . A definite improvement over the K02’s IMHO
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #189187219th Dec 2017 10:37 am
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I drove back from Cheltenham to London last weekend in the snow and the conditions were terrible. M25 north was a skating ring with multiple crashes and cars out of control. No problem at all with the AT3's on and felt very sure footed.

Post #189187819th Dec 2017 10:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >