Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ...........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 57 of 66 <123 ... 565758 ... 646566>
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DSL, if you’ve got time in Tokyo go to the Yasukuni shrine and the Yushukan war museum. They’ve got a Mitsubishi Zero (the only one left?) there as well as an “interesting” interpretation of how WWII went.

Post #20598119th Jun 2019 12:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

They are now on the list. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up We’ve got a week or so in Tokyo at the end of June/early July before we fly to Bangkok for a few days then back home. Big Cry Big Cry

Will do a proper update tomorrow as just having a bit of a lazy evening. See below. In the meantime here’s a pic of a cute boy and dog statue from our wanderings today. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And requests for suggestions as to how peeps of normal height are meant to use these petrol pumps.

Click image to enlarge

Pic of cute sailing ship, the first “western” sailing ship in Japan. Details here, well sort of. https://www.hakobura.jp/firststory/2011/07/post-9.html

Click image to enlarge

I’d have a better pic of this bad boy, the JS Makinami, but the local Lucky Pierrot was calling. Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

And talking of firsts, we came across this mega attraction. And risked life and limb taking the pic. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Consider yer lives complete, I just hoped peeps could contain their excitement. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lastly a couple of pics from our tram trip today. We bought a ¥600 (£4.35) all day tram ticket and we were working them to the max. Even took a tram from the hotel to breakie, luckily this time I just about managed to keep my coffee lemon juice free. Thumbs Up

Oldie worldie tram as seen from a more modern tram.

Click image to enlarge

We jumped off the tram we were on hoping it would be the next tram going our way as it the end of the line but no, the more modern one overtook it. How we know not. Confused

And finally a pano of the view across to another part of Hokkaido, beach blocks and rubbish included. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #20598239th Jun 2019 1:04 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Moo wrote:
Nice. I love Japan. I'm out to Tokyo beginning of July.

Same here, we’re really enjoying Japan. It takes a bit of getting used to, every day you learn something new but it’s really great place to visit. I was worried before we came here re getting about but that hasn’t been an issue. All stations have English & Japanese signs and where you’re not sure the local staff are fab at pointing you to the correct platform or train. Trams and buses are also a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to keeping your eyes open and watching what other peeps do then it’s easy to figure out. Japan Rail passes and Suica (cash/IC card) are fantastic, but then you hit somewhere that only accepts cash or its own local IC card on their trams. Keeps you alert. Thumbs Up

Our only complaint is lack of rubbish bins. If we buy a bottle of coffee & comethibg to eat at a 7 eleven we can be carrying the rubbish around for hours after consuming the scoff. But the place is spotlessly clean, completely the opposite of Vietnam. I know first world problem but it gets to that level to find fault. Thumbs Up

We’ll have only seen about half of Japan so we’ll deffo be back, prob for another couple of months but we have to work it around it being warm (SWMBO’s gone all tropical), avoiding the wet season and avoiding major events like the Sakura (cherry blossom), Olympics and Rugby World Cup where an already expensive country will get stupidly priced. Shocked

Post #20598379th Jun 2019 1:45 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Booooootiful evening here. Just been watching sunset(ish) looking over the caldera lake towards a classic stratovolcano behind. Booooooootiful. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully no eruptions from either of them for the next couple of weeks. Whistle

Post #206002610th Jun 2019 10:53 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Am going to get a sign like that and chose a lamp post in the village and declare it the "Oldest Lamp Post in ..."

Certainly will be a major tourist attraction Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #206007410th Jun 2019 12:53 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And set up a few little money making stands selling souvenirs. Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Will post pics from today sometime tomorrow once I get decent weefee. Bit surreal at the mo, watching a Transporter movie dubbed into Japanese. Laughing

Nice firework display tonight. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #206007810th Jun 2019 1:14 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Right, now we are in a hotel that has weefee in more than the lobby I can bing up the pics from the last two days.

Yesterday was around a Lake Toya, part of a volcano complex with at least one active volcano that last erupted in 2000. Beautiful clear lake, with some pretty big fish waiting to be fed.

Click image to enlarge

The Hanoi swans were waiting on us, and they’d become all patriotic.

Click image to enlarge

And motorised!!

Click image to enlarge

Re flags, we were the only Westerners we saw until we headed back.

Looks like Boeing have finished the revamp of the 737 MAX, and knocked 711 off the number. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

There’s a ropeway (a cable car type thing that just has two cars) up to the one of the summits but there has been so much vegetation it’s difficult to see anything.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This was the eruption in 1977.

Click image to enlarge

Sticks are available to help peeps get up the hill, which was pretty steep, to the viewing point but we didn’t clock these until we got back to the cable car station. Rolling Eyes Luckily we’d dumped our bags in a locker at the bus station.

Click image to enlarge

Once back to the lake it was second tourist jolly of the day, the boat trip around the little island in a floating castle/boat thingie. Very strange.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Today we walked round the area damaged by the 2000 eruption, either by faulting of mud slides. Most of the buildings have been removed but they’ve left the school & one block of flats. Very Chernobyl, on a small scale.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then back to the train line and to Noboribetsu Onsen, up in the hills again. This time really did go to the Hells, far better than Beppu and all free.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I’m not sure putting your arm up is going to help very much. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Weird tube plants.

Click image to enlarge

And deer behind the pond fed by some pretty hot water. Lots of deer prints around the pond, they would be in a world of difficulties if they fell in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And after all that hiking a very welcome foot Onsen. The water wasn’t that hot but once tootsies were buried in the volcanic sand it was plenty hot.

Click image to enlarge

Very good day, lots of hiking and the volcanic fields around here are fab. One of the best days in Japan so far. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #206035611th Jun 2019 12:25 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Just dragged our collective butts up to Sapporo.

Got there via bus to the JR station with just Japanese on the front, luckily JR station in Japanese is JR station. Whistle Trust me, that’s all Japanese on the front display. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Past giant chaps with somewhat illegal baseball bat. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

And weird Harry Potter type building, penguin zoo we think.

Click image to enlarge

Ignored the cute local train.

Click image to enlarge

And got the funky Super Hokuto up to Sapporo. Only thing of note on the way up were half a dozen or so F-15s at Chitose airport/AB.

Click image to enlarge

After walking about shade under 2km to the Holibob Inn, all underground, find that the bath from the last hotel was not going to be the shortest tub of the trip. I’ve seen bigger bird baths! Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

No chance of quiet 3 nights as this is Susukino district, we’ve just found out it’s the biggest entertainment area N of Tokyo. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes At least there’s a MDs near by. Thumbs Up

Post #206050612th Jun 2019 6:00 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The Japanese baths are meant to be short but deep. You sit on the bottom (pun intended) with your legs drawn up and savour the really hot water up to your neck - no soap, so that others in your family can bathe (and recuperate after a hard day's work). It is usual that the most senior bathes first and the less senior form a queue(politely, of course).

Just loving reliving my many holidays through your writings and photos. It is a truly different country that Japan.

I have the utmost respect for the consideration shown by Japanese people of all walks of life since 1978 when we first started visiting. We saw many of the places you have been to but I seem to recall Beppu in a better light. It might have been the communal onsen at Sugnoi Palace (now Hotel) that did it though.

Thoroughly enjoying your travels though, thanks.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #206052112th Jun 2019 7:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

It’s just that the baths have been getting progressively shorter as we’ve travelled through Japan. Short baths aren’t such an issue as long as I have somewhere to put my feet that isn’t so high up the wall that they’re in danger of hitting the ceiling. Whistle

We’re certainly enjoying Japan very much. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #206053212th Jun 2019 8:26 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Bit of a lazy day today, mainly coz I’ve got a bit of a gammy ankle atm.

A very weird bus seen on the way to scoff. Not sure I’d want to get on if it was the last bus to where we’re going. Music being played from it was also a bit strange.

Click image to enlarge

And I give you Curry Soup, a Sapporo thing. Really nice, and can be taylored just so. In my case grilled lamb, basic soup (as opposed to with squid ink), pretty spiced and medium rice. As a beer in case it’s all a bit dry. Souuuuuuuper. Laughing Laughing Welcome to my world website-wise. Whistle http://www.suage.info

Click image to enlarge

Finally the third LR seen in Japan since we got here mid May. Second was an eVoke that was instantly forgotten about. Whistle That LR sponsorship of baseball is really paying off. Laughing Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Now enjoying a cheeky cheap bottle of Chilean with choc bickies, whilst watching Castle dubbed into Japanese. Thumbs Up

Post #206083013th Jun 2019 12:35 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

"Now enjoying a cheeky cheap bottle of Chilean with choc bickies, whilst watching Castle dubbed into Japanese."

My - how the other half live!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Hope your gammy ankle improves - hope it wasn't from jumping out of the ever decreasing size of bath-tubs (not ever increasing size of mass in said bath-tubs Whistle ) Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #206088513th Jun 2019 3:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Gammy ankle much better today, thanks. Thumbs Up Finished today at Sapporo brewery and first Genghis Khan style Mongolian BBQ so well stuffed and over-beered. Pics to follow once sober enough to operate iPad & iPhone at same time. Whistle

Post #206106814th Jun 2019 9:34 am
RBB

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Scotland...Carcamping and ribbing

Heres a few from last weeks camping and boating trip to the seas to the West of Oban

The Bridge over the Atlantic

Dolphins

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Paradise?

Post #206107114th Jun 2019 9:47 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Right u lot, keep the noise down. Now watching the ball game between Hokkaido Fighters & Tokyo Giants, as advertised locally and being played in the Sapporo Dome just down the road.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just got to teach SWMBO not to cheer her rellies, ie not to say “go dragons”. Whistle

Still not too clear on how this baseball malarkie works but it’s entertaining. Thumbs Up

Post #206107814th Jun 2019 10:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 57 of 66 <123 ... 565758 ... 646566>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >