DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ………… out east! 🇸🇬 🇲🇾 🇸🇬 🇮🇩
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Greetings from ………… out east! 🇸🇬 🇲🇾 🇸🇬 🇮🇩

Well it’s been too long since you lot have been on a jolly so thought we’d save you the trouble. Sitting in the Lufthansa lounge at LHR heading to Zurich. Luckily flying Swiss as it was cheaper than Lufthansa, the latter seems to be perennially battling their own staff and strikes at FRA. Overnight flight to Singapore for the adventures to begin, well after jet lag has passed.

Will bung up the usual pics (reverent, irreverent and food), nothing much to report so far apart from a couple of quiet nights in London.

Hope y’all have a good trip, well as good as we have anyway!! Laughing Laughing

PS It’s going to be a mix of old favourites and new places, plus even a new country. If all goes to plan. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 23rd Apr 2024 3:07 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #23636976th Mar 2024 3:28 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Have fun 👋🏻
Will follow as always Very Happy

Post #23637006th Mar 2024 4:10 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

WHOOO HOOO ! Dels away again... come on Tony re-stock time Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23637096th Mar 2024 5:07 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Shocked There’s any left?? Shocked

Laughing

Post #23637116th Mar 2024 5:13 pm
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

nigethecat wrote:
WHOOO HOOO ! Dels away again... come on Tony re-stock time Laughing

Just in time for this weekends cold spell.I hope we’re taking your new Defender Whistle

Derek have a great time away and don’t worry about your woodshed at all. What day do you want the wheelie bins out!

Laughing
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #23637166th Mar 2024 5:38 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Never mind the wheelie bins, grass might need cut. Whistle

Post #23637256th Mar 2024 8:37 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And greetings from a booooootiful Singapore. 31degC and mixture of blue sky and cloud today, but rainy yesterday but bad jet lag so didn’t do much anyway.

Good to see the old Big Giant Ironing Board (some call it Marina Bay Sands) hasn’t changed, they were talking about adding a 4th column but they hadn’t happened quite yet.

Click image to enlarge

Plus some pop star is in town, Taylor Swift ISTR, so the place is hooching with da youff, most would be too young for this particular establishment. Beer no longer comes in cans, bottles or 6 packs, it now comes neatly packaged in trucks!!

Click image to enlarge

Mind you, you’d need all that beer to wash down this local snack!! Luckily we just made the closing of breakfast or we’d have ordered two, each!! Not.

Click image to enlarge

And did I say it was 31c?? If I’m repeating myself I blame the jet lag. Wide awake from 2:30 am to 5:30am, then fast asleep until woken with a jolt by the alarm at 8:30am, and even more violently at 9:30am (alarm reset) with just in time to make breakie. Hopefully tonight will be a bit better!

PS Re the Beer Truck and the Taylor Swift concert tonight, brings a whole new meaning to “popping in for a Swift half”. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Getting my coat. Whistle

PPS And “real” food in the lounge, don’t be fooled by the small portions, they are more than happy to put us on repeat prescription. Plus there is a buffet that we are yet to explore. It’s still +31c but humidity is down and a bootiful early evening. Just checked the nearest webcam to home and it looks pretty nippy with snow on the hills.

Oh, and the VC is pretty schlopable. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #23639539th Mar 2024 9:15 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Wow, another trip to Johnny foreigner already. Very Happy Who needs hol's Del when we can sit at home and watch your travel capers for free! Bow down

Earnestly looking forward to this installment and antics travelogue. Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23639809th Mar 2024 4:22 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I think we’ve deffo got the better side of the deal, you lot just get the edited highlights. Mind you, you lot don’t get the joy of getting to the cable car to Sentosa to discover its Singaporean Golden Oldie Day and it’s absolutely packed. Plus it’s 30something C and very sweaty in the queues!

And, tempting fate here, but it looks like we’re over the JL hump and actually getting more than a few hours beauty sleep. We officially no longer feel like death warmed up when we roll into breakfast, even if we might still look like it!

Some pics. Plenty of signs that SWMBO’s Chinese cousins are around, this being the year of the dragon.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Views from Singapore’s MOST excellent bus services. Thumbs Up

And to the Zoo yesterday, and feeding time. We booked this about 3 months ago so feeding slots for Giraffes (no pics that don’t have SWMBO in), Asian Elephants, Indian Rhinos and Grevys (not Greggs as auto correct wants) Zebra. And compared with same things in UK zoos, cheap as a few satay sticks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All other feeding is strongly discouraged, esp if it applies to moi!

Click image to enlarge

Today was supposed to be a nice easy day to Sentosa Island, breezing onto the cable car and wafting over to a near empty island. SingSeniorsDay put paid to that. We did the loop and just returned to the “mainland”, if it was that packed for the cable car to the island then it was going to be mobbed getting around on the cable cars when there.

Great view of the ships.

Click image to enlarge

And SWMBO decided to take a pic! Shocked Shocked Sorry folks but when SWMBO takes a pic it need to get out there! Laughing Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Back to MBS and the Ironing Board, as seen from the no 97 bus.

Click image to enlarge

And finally, as you lot are bound to be a might peckish, lunch at Satay by the Bay. And lovely it was too. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And no, that wasn’t just for me. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Tomorrow we’re leaving Singapore, heading to pastures new. Unlike previous jollies, we have a fair number (read that as a lot) of flights booked. Making up for lost time and someone has to put in the air miles to warm you lot up. Whistle Whistle

PS Pic from the hotel’s lounge, outside variety. Going to miss here, but back in 5 weeks or so. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #236417712th Mar 2024 12:03 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't throw away those satay sticks Del, you might just need them for firewood when you get home. Laughing

Looks great. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236420712th Mar 2024 10:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Tell me about it!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Mind you they would make good kindling, but might be a bit wiffy by the time we get home! Whistle

Post #236422213th Mar 2024 3:32 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And Gooooooooood Evening Kuala Lumpur!!

Day of MRT and buses in Singapore.

No pics but apart from us (well me) screwing the pooch on navigation to the right side of a dual carriageway, really easy trip to SIN T4 from Robertson Quay.

This bad boy reacquainted us with Air Asia, wafting us up to KL. We’ve got a fair few AirAsia flights ahead of us, hopefully all go as smooth as today’s.

Click image to enlarge

Pick up a local sim at KUL before immigration (good job they let us in) then fast rail to KL Sentral and the local light rail to right in front of the hotel.

Click image to enlarge

And no, not distracting the train driver as, like in Singapore, trains are driverless.

Off tomorrow to Batu Caves, local(ish) site that is famous for its Hindu holy places. And monkeys!! SWMBO doesn’t like the latter so going to be interesting!! Laughing Laughing

Post #236424413th Mar 2024 12:48 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Lovin KL!! It’s 35c, wall to wall sunshine and low humidity. Time to jump on the new MRT line next to the hotel (built coz we were coming back) and head up to Batu Caves. It’s basically a limestone bluff with loads of temples and steps up to the caves.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And, of course, monkeys! More monkeys than you can shake a bunch of finger bananas at (which is not a good idea!!).

Click image to enlarge

No monkeys here but piggin pigeons that decided to consign my shirt to the laundry bag!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now these two cheeky chappies were the highlight of the safari. MrsDSL walked right past the closest one in the pic, hand on the “banister”. Luckily tail was hanging the other way. There was a definite girly scream when I said to stop and look round. But she then pointed out that I was right next to the other one, eyeball to monkey far closer than I’d have chosen!!

Click image to enlarge

Sweeeeeeeeet baby monkey watching all of it and learning how to scare the visitors properly!

Click image to enlarge

On the way down there were 2 peeps setting up for a cosy romantic selfie, just as a cheeky chappie skirted past them. It was a bit more of a girlie scream when they realised that the monkey had skirted her hair with millimetres to spare!

One of the rules, not often followed, is don’t feed the animals. In these temples you can buy food for the monkeys and the pigeons, however I think this lucky chappie may have relieved a tourist of their snacks!!

Click image to enlarge

TBC, food is calling. Thumbs Up

Right, where were we apart from one plate load devoured?

Back to modernity.

In this pic there is the Petronas Towers, at one stage the highest building in the world, the KL tower (ice cream cone as we know it) which is higher but is on a big hill, and the one that cheats with a honking great TV mast is the 2nd highest building in the world (forgot the name but SWMBO still thinks it’s cheating).

Click image to enlarge

And a few artistic pics from our afternoon wander around the Petronas Towers and associated ACed mall.

Lots of building around here.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And as Mrs DSL described it, a little racing car.

Click image to enlarge

We had a good wander around the mall’s food courts, good thing is we ain’t going to starve (even through Ramadan) and good to back to Asian prices. Thumbs Up

PS And talking of food, these are suuuuuuuuuuuuperb!! Of the hotel chain we tend to frequent (IC), KL by far and away has the best food offering in the lounge. To mix metaphors, by a very long chalk!

Click image to enlarge

Would post pics of the other stuff but you lot would put in far too much weight!! Laughing

Last edited by DSL on 14th Mar 2024 11:36 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236430914th Mar 2024 10:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’m just catching up, another great trip Del. It’s 25 years since I was in KL. what a great place.

Post #236431114th Mar 2024 11:32 am
DSL

Ukraine 

It certainly is superb. It’ll deffo have changed massively in 25 years, it’s changed a lot since we were first here in early ‘19.

Finally feel like we’re travelling again, Singapore was just a familiar place to get over jet lag, now we’re back out there properly. Monkeys or no monkeys! Thumbs Up

Post #236431214th Mar 2024 11:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >