AndrewW22nd May 2008 9:23 amAndrewW is confirmed
gilmore22nd May 2008 8:50 pmgilmore is confirmed
tintenter23rd May 2008 9:46 amtintenter is confirmed
MW25th May 2008 9:40 amMW is confirmed
Pikey25th May 2008 10:33 pmPikey is confirmed

TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:

& Paul, where's the pics of your installation...? Did you just go the big relay in the end?

No installation pics yet, having a manual the grommet everyone else uses on their auto for extra cabling has a hose from the manual clutch in it. I asked for some pointers in my IBS Battery system thread but helpfully just got told I should have paid TFC to fit a system Rolling Eyes which while i am sure would be great, he would still have the same issue that the usual grommet is full of the clutch hose and that the main loom passes through each side with heavy sealing (submersible design in my view!) and is hard to ad additional capacity to.

I bought the IBS battery system in the end which is a chunky 180A Relay but with a electronic control box that does the voltage sense and linking when primary charging etc. Reasons being that if the fancy bit stops working and I am stuck somewhere I can ust ground relay to link batteries, and also its a much higher capacity link between the batteries which 95% of the time makes not difference, but 5% chance that I have flat primary or fit a winch its much better to have the two batts linked with 35mm^2 cabling.

Will post full pics when I eventually get it sorted, with 1.5 weeks till we are off camping I have a deadline I am working towards!

BTW I bought some hardcore crimping tools for battery terminals (not tried them yet though Crying or Very sad) so if anyone wants some battery terminals crimped can always bring them to the next southern meet (missed last weeks as we were away).

EDIT: Don't suppose drivesafe, if you reading, fancies disclosing which grommet your kit instructins says to use, or do you assume its an auto and that the grommet to the right of the brake servo is free not with a hose in like this?

Or does yoru cabling take another path?
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3281763rd Aug 2008 9:58 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi TallPaul, unfortunately all the D3s I worked on were autos but as soon as I get back from my trip I am going to find the correct route for wiring a manual and I’ll post the info, along with some pictures.

That will be about the end of the week.

Sorry can’t be done sooner.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #3282033rd Aug 2008 12:37 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Hi Drivesafe,

Thanks for the offer, I am sure I will work out, if I do I will post a pic.

I suspect there is an empty grommit on the nearside, the left side of the car, where the hose would be on a left hand drive manual car. The problem is that its not visible and is buried behind some other electronics that are going to have to come out to get to it.

Could be a problem for any customers you have that have manual transmission of course. However manual is the minority in the UK, I am sure its the same worldwide.

Paul
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3282223rd Aug 2008 3:58 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Hi RichieP,

Just wondering if you were able to get one of your guys to check if you have two short bolts for bornslippy?

PN's are:

The long bolt LR part n# is XYG 000051
The short bolt LR part n# is XYG 500061

I was just going to buy a short one, but the local dealers (and Nick) don't keep them in stock so there is a couple of days lead time, should have ordered one earlier in the week.

Will drop you a PM as well.

Paul
Post #3303338th Aug 2008 10:19 am
drivesafe

Australia 

TallPaul wrote:
Could be a problem for any customers you have that have manual transmission of course. However manual is the minority in the UK, I am sure its the same worldwide.

Paul

Hi Paul, your probably right and I will have to do something about covering an installation in a manual D3 as I think Bodsy has already asked the question elsewhere so I will post the info for all to use.

The problem is that we lot here in Oz are a tad lazy, take the first Range Rovers sent over here. They couldn’t sell them until someone had the bright idea and converted them to autos, the first RR autos sold anywhere I believe.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #3303668th Aug 2008 11:21 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Well it turns out that there is an unsued grommit on the drivers side, that can be employed for passing cables through, wish I had seen it last weekend instead of messing around at both sides looking at the main looms!

I have cables through firewall, but not finished everything, hope to do that today.

Cheeky call to RichieP and him out of pocket for postage on one short bolt later and I have everything I need. Back out in the rain after lunch to finish off!
Post #3306999th Aug 2008 12:53 pm
RichieP

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Glad you got the bolt Thumbs Up
 Richard......

2006 HSE Lugano Teal - with screens a DVD....PS2.... Freeview, and MANTEC plate!
2007 XS Commercial Java Black - with leather, Aux Battery and MANTEC plate 

Post #3307139th Aug 2008 2:25 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So, where's the write up on the IBS Install for Manual cars then....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #33532022nd Aug 2008 9:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Still in progress!

Wires are through the bulkhead, for the IBS, as well as a 50A feed for power for new sockets in ciggy lighter area in centre console. (thanks to tip from TFC, actually grommit was there all along, its below main loom in that side, way down in a dark corner).

Got battery mounted (Richard, still have long bolt, will bring to SE meet next week in case you are there, if not will try to drop by or post back) but then I ran into a terminal issue.

The terminals I bought are too tall to fit into under the battery area tray/cover, DOH!

I bought some nice 3-way terminals from pole-volt for the positive, that have 1x8mm stud (35mm to primary battery) and 2x6mm studs (175A Anderson for jumping, feed to other power outlets) but its too tall.

The negative is also too tall as well, although its just a single stud. I plan on cutting down the bolt to make it fit then assessing the situation with the +ve terminal.

Unfortunately rain then stopped play, since then I have found time to remove plastic surround on second battery area and drill out and bolt relay in place, but not had a chance to cut down terminals and fit primary feed cable and terminate everything up. Which is an **** as was camping last weekend so could not use for lighting and eleccy fridge!

And on top of all that, the super-strong velcro I used for control panel fell off, so need to bite the bullet and drill the panel to the right of the stering column where I plan to mount the IBS controller, or find some stronger velcro!

Rest assured, some pics on the way when its all done Wink

Just need to get this lot in:

Post #33534722nd Aug 2008 10:12 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Ah problems problems..... Smile

The battery is really quite tall & even with just a bolt head above the post, it seems the plastic cover is a bit tight to fit back on. Still, it's not rubbing on mine & as for lights & fridge for camping. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Really REALLY worth it Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #33535222nd Aug 2008 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Yeah, its close, but no cigar, my fault as I did not do the math before I ordered. The neg will chop down fine I think, the positive not so much, so I will either improvise with some naff old terminals in stock for the positive, see if a bling gold one from a friends upgraded stereo install some years back will fit, or wait until I can buy a suitable stud one to cut down like the neg.

I forget as well, that I still need an M8 I think it is to fit the empty hole on the main battery pos, so I don't need to piggy back of the other existing bolts.

I was planning on 50A feed, fusebox, outlets near ciggys in the front and still thinking on the back.

Now I have more or less decided on large feed to rear, then fusebox, then down to smaller outlets and a 50A anderson by the tow hitch, or two, one with the split charge in case I get around to building that camper trailer I always wanted! Whistle

Might just bite the bullet and buy a 10m drum of 25mm^2 and stick that down to the boot.

Problem is my new empty grommet is already full with split charge wiring and the front feed, might have to go looking for more grommits!

Our fridge is crappy little hellfrauds peltier one, but it keeps the bacon eggs and beer cold for a weekend away on a battery. Hows your "proper" fridge working out Bodsy, I seem to recall you bought a Waeco or similar at one of the shows this year?

EDIT: too many typo's to live with

Post #33542222nd Aug 2008 1:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Didn't go the Waeco route, got the Engel 32l only uses 1- 2.5a (max) so I've yet to find it shut off. Will test it next week when I leave it at the airport for 4 days, (it's now always on) I have a permanent supply of cold beer, water and the odd snack or two (well you never know!)

It was fantastic on the way down to Italy, heat outside of up to 35 & it just kept everything just above freezing (lovely for the cold beer) I found that with the Beer & water around the outside (of the inside if you get what I mean) and the fridge set to about 0, that the butter & cheeses & hams that we bought en route were all kept just about right.

I did set it to freeze on one day, with the aim of getting a large tub of proper Ice Cream from a gelateria, but by the time we'd eaten a large pot each, we didn't fnacy it any more & couldn't decide on which flavour we'd all like anyway! Laughing
It got down to -12 before I turned it back up.

Even when we got to the farmhouse, I still kept the beer in the Engel as the farmhouse fridge wouldn't keep it so cold 8)

I can see how the Halfords one would be OK for an overnighter(as long as you ahve the extra battery) but for anything more, I think you'll be looking towards an Engel before the years out.... Whistle

Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #33543622nd Aug 2008 1:41 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Yeah, sorry by Waeco I meant Engel, too lazy to go look up the other thread.

Yeah the hellfrauds is OK, what I do is leave it on in the car on the way down, then when camping I have a 10Ah lead acid battery pack that I leave it plugged into, usually makes it until dusk and then its cooler (beers get drunk anyway) and when it gets hot you wake up and cook the bacon and eggs anyway Wink

Not a proper solution though, really temped to get a proper fridge, but its a big investment, and we see to use the 7 seats a lot so I am not sure it would live in the car, or what we would do with it in terms of storage when its out of the car.

Nice to know its a 1-2.5A draw though, that's sweet, peltier jobs are about 3-4A I think!

Its pretty sunny now, last customer cancelled their meeting this afternoon, might need to slide off and see if I can cut that terminal down... Whistle

By the way for anyone else wiring up heavy duty cabling, I recommend one of these Crimp tools 6-50mm^2 at cablecraft, work fine for 35mm^2 crimps, give nice hex crimp to cable, looks really pro Thumbs Up

Post #33544322nd Aug 2008 1:57 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I've got a £9.99 crimp set from Halfords......... Embarassed Embarassed

Oh and as for the fridge, when it's out of the car (on those rare occassions) then I'll just plug it in the house & keep the beer cold there! Thumbs Up

You know you want one & I found the relief of not having to worry about the battery going flat was worth teh extra.
Even SWMBO said it was worth spending the extra to get a decent one.

Tell you what, you can borrow mine for a week/weekend sometime & see if your SWMBO has the same reaction & then get it on your Christmas list!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #33546522nd Aug 2008 2:45 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Laughing I have a load of crimp tools, including a nice ratchet pair for standard crimps terminals up to yellow, felt it was time to splash the cash as I could have done with a proper tool years ago for other projects!

Besides it will make wiring that winch we are not going to buy so much easier... Whistle

Thanks for generous offer on the fridge. it is tempting, however I want to replace my digital SLR with a full frame model when Sony announce it next month, so I might not be mentioning fridges just yet to SWMBO!

Having destroyed a roof box I borrowed on Sunday at an unmarked height restriction (the last 10cm came out of the Halfords plastic Embarassed) I am thinking about trailer for camping gear not roof box as way forward for next year (we were 6 up plus luggauge and stacked to the ceiling in the back next to 6th seat passenger!). Trouble is once you start down this road you start to think it worth having a built in kitchen, fridge, extra battery system... if we go this route, Engel for sure Thumbs Up

Post #33548122nd Aug 2008 3:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 15 of 17 <123 ... 14 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >