AndrewW22nd May 2008 9:23 amAndrewW is confirmed
gilmore22nd May 2008 8:50 pmgilmore is confirmed
tintenter23rd May 2008 9:46 amtintenter is confirmed
MW25th May 2008 9:40 amMW is confirmed
Pikey25th May 2008 10:33 pmPikey is confirmed

Bornslippy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It ain't over yet... Big Cry
Fitted mine last weekend. On Friday I was packing the car and interior light may have been left on for an hour or so. When I went to leave to drive to France Friday afternoon Evil or Very Mad the main battery was flat.I eventually had to jumpstart it from the optima - so clearly there is something wrong and most probably the SC40 is faulty...
 Very Black 07 HSE. Sometimes with added mud. Sometimes towing a boat. Always grinning.  
Post #39154022nd Dec 2008 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Why is something wrong ? ..you left interior lights on ..battery flat ...

unless you have wired the interior lights to the aux battery ..then i cant see a problem Sad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #39156622nd Dec 2008 6:49 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can't see how the sc40 would cause only the main battery to go flat and not the aux. You'd be amazed how quickly the main battery will go flat with anything left switched on.

At least you knew you can jump from the aux Thumbs Up

Although may still be worth PMing Drivesafe to see if he has some extra checks you can do.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #39167122nd Dec 2008 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Bornslippy wrote:
It ain't over yet... Big Cry
Fitted mine last weekend. On Friday I was packing the car and interior light may have been left on for an hour or so. When I went to leave to drive to France Friday afternoon Evil or Very Mad the main battery was flat.I eventually had to jumpstart it from the optima - so clearly there is something wrong and most probably the SC40 is faulty...

Hi Bornslippy, sorry to hear about your main battery going flat but the fact that your auxiliary battery was able to jump start you D3 indicates that not only is the SC40 working correctly, it did exactly what it is supposed to do.

The SC40 is not just designed to protect the cranking battery should the auxiliary battery be flattened during use but the SC40 is also designed to work in the other direction and so that if, as in your case, the cranking battery goes flat, you will have a charged auxiliary battery to get you out of trouble.

Sounds like it’s working fine.

Thanks Wiggs and Bodsy
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #39169822nd Dec 2008 9:19 pm
Bornslippy

No really that can't be "as designed", because that would mean (to me) that the SC40 was waste of money - the optima was fully charged so clearly hadn't helped the main battery at all (which was down to 10v). I seriously doubt that the interior lights can have drained the main battery sufficiently within an hour. Much more likely is that the SC40 is doing something stupid. Incidentally I had to use jump leads from the Optima to the main battery.
 Very Black 07 HSE. Sometimes with added mud. Sometimes towing a boat. Always grinning.  
Post #39185123rd Dec 2008 7:21 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again Bornslippy, if the SC40 was not operating as designed, your Optima would also be flat.

As to the Optima being fully charged, by what means did you determine that your Optima was fully charged or did it just have a charge that easily started the D3.

The SC40-LR disconnects the D3’s cranking battery from the Optima when the common voltage of both batteries is at 12.3v.

As you can easily jump start a D3 with 12v and most other vehicles with 11.5 volts, there is no reason for the Optima to be fully charged or to think that the SC40 is not working as designed.

The only way the Optima could be fully charged while the cranking battery was flat, is if your cranking battery failed, IE, a cell collapsed in your cranking battery during use of your D3 or just after you stopped your motor.

Judging from your post, your cranking battery is now working fine so the likely problem is nothing more than your cranking battery being being flattened because the interiors light were left on.

What can add to this type of situation where your cranking battery went flat in a short time, is also the way you may have been using your D3, lots of driving or just some short irregular driving.

Again, the fact that the Optima had enough power to jump start your D3 indicates that the SC40 worked exactly as designed.
Post #39186323rd Dec 2008 8:15 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Doesn't the fact (and I haven't read all the posts) that the interior light was on, also mean on a HSE that the car was probably awake with SatNav, radio awake etc etc

I can safely say that, that lot will drain the battery in no time - not a problem when BCB is parked about 3 meters away Thumbs Up But I have learnt my lesson Embarassed
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #39193823rd Dec 2008 10:55 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yep ..3 interior lights aswell ..wont take long to flatten the battery
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #39200223rd Dec 2008 1:16 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Bornslippy, can I make a suggestion that will help find out if the SC40 is or is not responsible for your cranking battery going flat.

Park your D3 so you can access both batteries.

Go to the SC40 and unplug the lead coming from your CRANKING BATTERY.

Turn your interior lights on ( as you had them before ) and see how long it takes to flatten your cranking battery.

As the SC40 is not connected and the Optima is isolated, wherefore, my money is on your cranking battery going flat even quicker than before.

Anyway, try this and see, it should give you piece of mind, either way.
Post #39237323rd Dec 2008 9:40 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

what happened with this Bornslippy?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3993339th Jan 2009 11:36 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:

Think his D3 is still broken in France and he is back home
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #3993789th Jan 2009 12:40 pm
Bornslippy

UNG wrote:
Bodsy wrote:

Think his D3 is still broken in France and he is back home

Indeed it remained stiuck in France for a while, and that was a sorry tale in itself. Truly awful service from Land Rover assistance, which still drags on (they couldn't find us a replacement car of any sort so booked us on Easyjet but only after the car had been taken away and then without any luggage allowance at all - still haven't refunded the excess baggage charge. Mad Sad

Anyway, I think the SC40 was working as designed, although I have to say I wasn't entirely clear on what I was getting when I ordered it...

The main battery had a fault which was eventually replaced on warranty six months later.
Post #65480430th May 2010 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 17 <123 ... 151617
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >