Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

H9 Bulb Mod for Cornering Lamps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
H9 Bulb Mod for Cornering Lamps

Been running a bit of an experiment with this and I am pleased to be able to report my findings so far. Smile

As some of you may know, the H8 bulbs as used in the cornering lamps use a PGJ19-1 base, while its sister bulbs H11 and H9 use PGJ19-2 and PGJ19-5 respectively. What this means is that these bulbs are of the same dimensions and with a little trimming, the bases can be made to fit each others' holders. The connectors need adjusting in a similar manner also.

Diagrams of the bases here:

The advantage here is that H8 bulbs are rated at 35W and 800lm, but H11s are 1350lm @ 55W and H9 2100lm @ 65W (the H9 is the second brightest legal halogen spec bulb after the HIR1). The bulbs are optically compatible, though the H8 filament is a little shorter, so compared to the HIDs4u LEDs I've had fitted (which are indeed excellent at the job), they will retain the beam pattern and so should offer an increase in intensity, and reduced glare. The same modification could also allow an H9 bulb to be fitted into the fogs.

Naturally, with higher wattage comes more heat and current, so I have tested both H11 and H9 bulbs in a cheap light unit bought from disco-nut. This one wasn't adaptive, so I drilled out rough holes in the reflector such that the metal lamp bas would be in direct contact with the plastic - I was pleased to see no signs of melting or damage after runs a various duty cycles. There is a clear increase in heat on the lens, a little higher than from the main beams, but not so high that I feel it will present a problem - particularly since members have reported no issues with running 100W bulbs in their main beams. In practice, the bulbs are normally only run for a matter of seconds the odds are in my favour from the start.

On the electrical side, I was concerned at the increased current draw, but the cornering lamp wires are of the same 1.5mm^2 spec as the main lights and indeed, the wiring diagrams indicate that the FET in the CJB are the same spec as the other lamps and it's well within their 21A rating. I am trusting that the CJB can cope with the current or that the FETs would be offering suitable protection otherwise. The final part of the equation is that the FETs are capable of current limitation, which could severely reduce output and life of the bulbs - a current clamp on the wiring has been able to confirm that the H9s are being delivered with the full current required. With thes factors in mind, I am happy to run the bulbs on the existing wiring unless further issues should arise.

There we have it; the results are good, so I have now installed an H9 bulb in one of my units (the one that's not new-ish). I shall continue to keep a close eye on it in both the short and long term, and will fit the other bulb soon. I'll update the thread if I come across further issues (but I seriously hope I will not!). Thumbs Up

LED cluster:

H9 bulb:

Disclaimer: Neither I, nor Disco3.co.uk, can accept any responsibility for any consequences, including legal ones, that may arise as a result of carrying out this modification, or for any inaccuracy in the information given. You choose to carry it out at your own risk.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #16372357th Apr 2016 12:12 pm
Lost for Words

Forgot to add, I chose to use standard Osram bulbs as the yard stick - naturally differen't bulbs may vary considerably. H9 bulbs are high efficacy and short life, so with low runtime but an unsympathetic duty cycle, it'll be interesting to see how they last. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #16373247th Apr 2016 4:18 pm
Lost for Words

Tested this last night - wow! Why the hell didn't I do this sooner? The difference is, quite frankly, amazing. Very Happy

Comparison pics below (same exposure settings). Left is the existing LED bulb, right is the H9 bulb:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Very, very pleased with the result. Very Happy

Pairs of Osram H9 bulbs can be bought here for £18.95: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-H9-Standar...3641.l6368 Then all you need is a Stanley knife or similar to remove the smaller of the plastic tabs inside the connector (bulb end, that is) and something suitable to trim the metal base (as per the above profiles) - I used snips, but had to fine tune it with a combination of scissors and nail clippers in the end because space was tight. Be careful not to touch the glass. Thumbs Up

Post #16375888th Apr 2016 7:28 am
Lost for Words

Still going fine so have just done the other side today. Smile Thumbs Up

Post #164538424th Apr 2016 2:09 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I sliced into the connector fairly crudely but the bulb fitted straight away. Tested the bulb and in the daylight the difference is huge. I gave up fitting the bulb when I discovered the metal tab that needs adjusting, I'll go at that another day, but looking forward to the results.

Post #168630630th Jul 2016 3:56 pm
Lost for Words

You won't be disappointed. Thumbs Up

Usage has dropped what with it being summer, but mine are still going strong with no sign of issues. Smile

Post #168631830th Jul 2016 4:42 pm
Erea

I broke off a bit of the tab with a pliers. Fitted in no problems, it took me longer to take the pictures than to "adjust" the two bulbs Very Happy

Post #168667231st Jul 2016 4:55 pm
Lost for Words

Just thought I'd give an update - 19 months on and the bulbs are still going strong with no signs of any issues at all. Thumbs Up

Post #18766427th Nov 2017 11:07 am
Erea

Same with mine, over a year and no issues and they get used a couple of times a day currently. Very simple bulb swap.

Post #18769587th Nov 2017 9:18 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I might have to give this a shot Thumbs Up

Post #18769647th Nov 2017 9:34 pm
Jimmy444

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi just thought I would add some information on this problem. Although this is a good solution to this problem instead of cutting or altering the original equipment I have found a local supplier who stocks an h8 55w lamp !!!!!
So only 10w less than the modifications, but a massive improvement over the standard setup. I have tried them and so far worth every penny and at only £13.99 excellent value for money.Not sure on rules for advertising so if anyone wants the suppliers information I'll pass it on.
Also got a set of D2s hid's 4300k from the same supplier for £24.99 per pair and they are every bit as good as the standard ones also come with a 2 year warranty, so once again value for money speaks for itself !!!!!! Very Happy

Post #190121514th Jan 2018 9:49 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

yeah H8 55W does look common

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-High-Quali...SwnVhaM76f

P.S I purchased some bulbs from china 2 years ago and they still work. (£3.11 pair)
You can't say that for Half**d$.

Post #190126814th Jan 2018 10:56 am
Jimmy444

I'm glad someone agrees, you don't have pay a fortune if you shop around, bearing in mind most of this stuff comes out of the same factory's!!!

Post #190127214th Jan 2018 11:00 am
Lost for Words

Yes, you can get 55W H8 bulbs, but the extra 10W is significant for the difference in efficacy that goes with it. A 55W H11 bulb outputs 1350lm, a 65W H9 outputs 2100lm, so we're talking 55% brighter - 750lm more, which is almost as much as the standard bulb.

Given only the bulb needs a 5-minute trimming and the car remains untouched, I think the H9 is well worth it. Thumbs Up

Post #190173415th Jan 2018 9:16 am
Jimmy444

You are right in what you say but the solution I put forward is still an improvement over the original setup and not everyone wants to cut or modify their vehicles.

Post #190173915th Jan 2018 9:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >