Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

HADECS 3 speed camera's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
HADECS 3 speed camera's

Seeing these popping up more frequently and unsure what they monitor for as seems like they are there to monitor for the variable speed limits if you read the attached

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

However given variable limit motorways already have cameras on the gantries in certain places why add these as well?

In that link it does state that on the M25 they are set at 70mph so if that applies to all others (and the linked report states they are currently only sited on SMART motorways but more/most are converting to SMART anyway?) is this the thin-end of the wedge of all motorways becoming camera monitored at 70mph?

Would stack up with what my son was told on a speed awareness course he had to attend where the tutor/instructor was a serving traffic officer and he stated that all motorways would be camera monitored for 70mph once they were converted to SMART version.

Don't advocate speed per se but see this as using a sledgehammer to crack a nut as not enough visible policing so just use a cheap 24/7 camera to do the job and I don't think 80-85mph is 'ridiculous' at 5.00am on a deserted motorway in light, clear, conditions.

On the M6 between end of the toll road and up towards Cheshire these are displayed on the camera alert mapping in my RRS, not all of them though, indicating to me some are not (yet) live? However on heading south on M6 last time I was heading home from Liverpool one flashed on the North side and it wasn't marked on the satnav map......

Oh how I'm glad I'm not a 'petrol head' just starting out on driving...... what the next generation are going to miss, we were lucky indeed Confused

Post #207252531st Jul 2019 1:20 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Here they’re used as part of the budget..... 2015 fines from cameras were only 20 MEUR, 2019 the budgeted figure is 74 MEUR.

Some of the placement locations are fairly ingenious and clearly intended to make people brake for real or get a fine - for example 50 meters after a 70 km/h or 80 km/h sign (coming from a 100 km/h speed). Waze knows all locations, though. Wouldn’t travel outside the Helsinki metro area without having it running. Thumbs Up

Post #207252731st Jul 2019 1:30 pm
astonbuilder

That link is an interesting site to have a browse through. Didn't read all the detail but it said 1.8m fines issued in a year and at a minimum £100 a go that is £180m. Add in all the other fines motorists are pinged for (bus lanes, illegal turns, traffic lights, parking, etc.) its amazing how the country ran back when I was a kid with 'no cash' when it was news relayed around the family network if anyone ever got a speeding ticket Laughing

update on the OP this was a response in the Q&A section regarding expanding use of cameras to catch more people;

I was sent NIP M4 Bristol 85mph over 70mph automatic camera device. Is this legal as I thought only used on motorways when temporary speed limits in place?

Increasingly, Police forces across the UK are switching these so called motorway 'variable speed cameras' on outside of times when they are not enforcing a lowered variable speed limit of for example 50mph in heavy traffic.

Bedfordshire Police chief was the first to suggest their use 24/7 on motorways to enforce the national speed limit of 70mph.

Post #207253231st Jul 2019 1:45 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Yes is the answer to your question.

All M ways will be smart, with cameras set for speeds over 70mph (or whatever allowance over they deem fit).

But the long game is that will be able to track cars to be used for road charging. The current hardware is future proofed already with that functionality, ready for when it goes live.

Post #207253631st Jul 2019 2:02 pm
astonbuilder

good job I'm getting slower in my old age then Whistle

To be honest I don't go above an indicated 80mph (often a genuine 77-78mph via GPS) on motorways much but as said cruising on a deserted motorway in middle of the night with no lee-way seems a bit OTT but hey ho.

Will save the fun for the backroad blats along the lanes...............for now Rolling Eyes

Post #207253931st Jul 2019 2:11 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We'll just see a swathe of fake number plates. No traffic cops to catch anyone so the risks are minimal for those that want to do it.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #207255331st Jul 2019 3:25 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Just 1 digit difference does the trick.

You can blame that on the dealer or company you bought the plate from, and say you never noticed.

Post #207255431st Jul 2019 3:33 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

I never go more than 70 when I see those cameras, they are very unforgiving, also if the sign above suddenly drops to 50 or 60 and there is a camera there, it will flash you if you are going over the limit even if the sign has just changed, I saw it happen on the M5.
 David

Post #207256431st Jul 2019 4:15 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: HADECS 3 speed camera's

astonbuilder wrote:

In that link it does state that on the M25 they are set at 70mph so if that applies to all others (and the linked report states they are currently only sited on SMART motorways but more/most are converting to SMART anyway?) is this the thin-end of the wedge of all motorways becoming camera monitored at 70mph?

It actually says

"In the instance of the M25 smart motorway section in Kent, the speed limit is normally set to 70mph."

That's the limit not the camera. Recent FOI requests reveal that almost all forces are still routinely apply the 10% plus 2mph.

And bear in mind that site has one purpose to sell speed camera detectors: https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-detector-shop.htm
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #207256731st Jul 2019 4:32 pm
Washwipe

England 

They have been around for over four years now, the link provided also on here from a thread back in 2015, they first appeared on the Surrey section of the M25 when it was widened to four lanes.

Post #207258631st Jul 2019 5:55 pm
gje

Wales 

Most of the 'smart' motorways only have the cameras set to operate as/when the variable limits are set and the 'police' do not have any control over when these variable limits are set - thats down the Highways England, so its a bit unfair to say that the police set them low to make money etc etc - the police do however 'decide' when to actually process the offences from the HADECS cameras - not all but some do also enforce the national speed limit, ie no 60,50 or 40 roundels illuminated, and as pointed out these are usually set at the 10% +/- 2mph limit, in reality often the NSL is set a lot higher due to the numbers involved.
As far as the ££ go - for every £100 or £120 that a course costs the local police and crime commissioners office get the surplus. Every camera enforcement unit is 'self funding' ie the 'income' from fines covers the staff salary, pension, vans, postage of the letters etc etc - and any excess goes straight to the OPCC ( note that, its not the same as police force concerned ) - plus that ecess cash cannot be used to fund more cameras or pay for more enforcement - thats against the Bill of Rights from 1668 - but can be used to fund other crime initatives ( like the 'lives not knives' programme in schools at the moment). For every £100 the OPCC/police get about £22.

Post #207264331st Jul 2019 9:52 pm
astonbuilder

Who’s mentioned the police taking the cash?

Post #207265431st Jul 2019 10:24 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

simples..dont speed

Post #207268531st Jul 2019 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

These cameras can monitor 3-4 lanes of a motorway at once and can detect speeders in any lane at anytime.

Post #20726891st Aug 2019 12:54 am
gje

Wales 

Quote:
Who’s mentioned the police taking the cash?

Nobody did but I thought it might interest some. Sorry.. Confused

Post #20727001st Aug 2019 7:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >