Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Halfords Tyres on the Drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
General_Git

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Halfords Tyres on the Drive

I can't quite believe I'm even considering this just to save £20 a corner but that's £80 more of my pounds in the Advanced Factors pot.

Has anyone tried Halfrauds' Tyres on the Drive service:

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/tyres/Pire...totd_84283

I have read quite damning reviews although since I don't need any TPMS valves, stop/start batteries, or other complicated things I'm sort of wondering just how much they could screw things up with a kitted out tyre changing van. I do however expect to loosen off all wheel nuts and retorque. Other than that I shall be watching.

Has anyone ever used this service?

Am I completely mad to be contemplating this?
 LR3 MY05 TDV6 2.7 HSE - 130k
Audi S3 Black Edition Quattro (2020) - 11k
ZZR1400 (2010) - 55k 

Post #22454636th Aug 2021 9:39 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I used them when they were just Tyres on the drive, back in 2017 to have my twin axle caravan tyres changed. Price was good, booking was easy, great selection of tyres.

What wasn't so great was that 2 miles from my house, while taking my van back to storage, we heard an almighty bang and one of my nearside wheels overtook me, and travelled about 200 yards along the pavement, at considerable speed, barely avoiding a pedestrian before coming to a rest.

Thankfully this happened about half a mile after we'd driven down the packed Saturday afternoon high street and just before entering the national speed limit zone with the S bends Confused

TOTD were fine to deal with afterwards, their insurers, AXA were a bunch of total Censored and it took nearly 18months to get my van back repaired.

So no, I wouldn't be using them again!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #22454696th Aug 2021 10:18 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm and for some types of tyre these maybe a good buy.

I had a Kwik Fit mobile come and fit my D4 with new tyres. I was slightly surprised to see two vans turn up. A Kwik Fit van and a non branded one. 'What's the other for?' I asked.. 'That's the mobile balancing van because 4x4 tyres and wheels are much heavier and we cannot balance those with the equipment we carry' was the answer.

Job was completed.

The balancing was way out at motorway speeds. Ok, I mean my motorway speeds but it was still evident at 70mph that something wasn't right.

I returned to my usual tyre place who rebalanced each wheel reporting each was out by a significant margin.

Bigger wheels and tyres need a much more capable balancing setup than is possible in the back of a van.

Ok for smaller weight vehicles but beware with a bigger 4x4.

Just my experience...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #22454846th Aug 2021 11:18 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Tyre fitting is only as good as the fitter, whichever company you choose.

I use a mobile guy quite a bit, and when he balances the wheel/tyre, I mustn't be leaning on his van and he remains perfectly still inside. Also if it's windy he says he'll do his best but if there are any problems he'll come back another time.

A good fitter will use the dots marked on the tyre to help with balancing, but not all fitters are bothered about doing it right, just getting it done.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #22455047th Aug 2021 8:01 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Tyre fitting is only as good as the fitter, whichever company you choose, mobile or depot.

I use a mobile guy quite a bit, and when he balances the wheel/tyre, I mustn't be leaning on his van and he remains perfectly still inside. Also if it's windy he says he'll do his best but if there are any problems he'll come back another time.

A good fitter will use the dots marked on the tyre to help with balancing, but not all fitters are bothered about doing it right, just getting it done.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #22455067th Aug 2021 8:02 am
Sea Raider

Daughter had 2 tyres fitted by them on her Corsa last week as she's working from home.
Turned up on time and did a good job apparently and didn't advise of any other work req'd

Post #22455177th Aug 2021 8:42 am
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What tyres you after? May sound silly but check out Asda https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/

They’re actually cheaper than Halfords and the tyres are fitted by…..Halfords
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #22455457th Aug 2021 10:57 am
General_Git

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you all for your inputs. A couple of real horror stories and manually retorquing the bolts would only mitigate one of the issues raised here.

The other being the matter of balancing stability in the van with such big wheels. My £80 savings would soon vanish if I needed to rebalance wheels so on balance (see what i did there... Rolling with laughter) I think I will use the 2nd cheapest - formula one autos...

Few other notes:

Current set are Pirelli ATRs. Irritated really as I haven't rotated and the rears are 50% and the fronts are too far gone to practically now put on the rears. Am debating buying only two but will likely grab one off as a much needed spare and gash the other one with a note to rotate in the future. Figure out a useful rotation interval too.
Ambivalent between pirelli ATR, AT+ and cooper discovery 3 sport +.
Asda tyres have no offerings of all terrain.
Seem to be around £175 a corner at the next best price.
Local indie cannot source the older ATR but can do the AT+ for a couple quid more - this is my current dilemma and I've done a lot of reading. It'll come down to a coin toss methinks although I am leaning to supporting the indie over a national chain.

Thanks again for your posts!
 LR3 MY05 TDV6 2.7 HSE - 130k
Audi S3 Black Edition Quattro (2020) - 11k
ZZR1400 (2010) - 55k 

Post #22455497th Aug 2021 11:36 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I’ve had Goodyear Duratracs on the D4 for the last 3 years - they haven’t been changed since I put them on in 2018 (although mileage was low in 2020). I really like them.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #22456297th Aug 2021 7:33 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

General_Git wrote:
Ambivalent between pirelli ATR, AT+ and cooper discovery 3 sport +. Local indie cannot source the older ATR but can do the AT+ for a couple quid more

Shouldn’t be a surprise since AT+ is the successor to ATR and the latter’s manufacturing was supposed to end at some point.

Post #22456527th Aug 2021 8:51 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

I used Tyres on the Drive a few years ago for my wife's Golf. I failed to check until after they'd left but they'd put the wrong tyres on. They'd put ours on another car. They did offer to go and get them, remove them from said car and put them on ours. When I pointed out they were no longer new tyres they offered £5 off. I told them to stick it and swore never to use them again. That was before Halfords bought them. Whether they've improved, I can't say...
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #22456637th Aug 2021 10:51 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

not Halfords Tyre on the drive, but had Halfords come out to fit a dashcam to our truck, all paid for online with a "booking" fee to select a time window. Due on the Saturday morning, waited all morning down the yard only to chaise them up to find the tech came to the main entrance, saw it was closed and sodded off without even a phone call. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Then when spoke to tech, said he could not come back coz he was 15 miles away on another job and was going home afterward.

Long and short, depot manager came out next day, Sunday morning, did the job, would I use them again, Nah Thumbs Up

Post #22456718th Aug 2021 12:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >