Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

handbrake warning light - an update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
handbrake warning light - an update

Folks - Appologies if this has been covered (not the topic - the "fix")

My 06 model has put the handbrake warning light on six times since being purchased at the end of Nov. Usual resolution is trun the engine off and back on, and off you go again. But after six times - back to the dealer I go.

It would appear from talking to the techy that its nothing to do with the handbrake, but the gearbox! The giveaway (which mine had), is that the numbers that show which gear you're in (and mines a manual), come up slow, ie, you've changed gear, but there's a fractional delay before the number shows in the display. This apparant delay means that the handbrake module dosn't get a signal when its expecting it, and throws a fault.

Onto ramps (needs wheels hanging free I'm told), recalibrate something, hey ho, techy recons its fixed. I certainly noticed the gear numbers coming up quicker on the display. Lets hope he's right.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #3729913th Jan 2006 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveho

United Kingdom 

The 'techy' is dead right reconfiguring the transfer box ecu will cure this problem sometimes you may have noticed a lag in the position indicator on the display -more so on the third to fourth shift.This was a big problem early on in the life of the disco 3 but easily cured now.This doesn't affect auto variants.

Post #3739213th Jan 2006 11:42 pm
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It can also be the gear selector that can be dodgy. I had the same problem and ended having the ear selector changed (2 days in the workshop at the end of november whilst the entire gearbox is dropped) and it has never been a problem since.

Post #3740714th Jan 2006 12:44 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Just to add to this thread, my D3 had its first service yesterday and on the return home threw up the handbrake fault, it's done it twice today and on one occasion I was watching the gearchange indicator ( its ok if you hit the car in front he's smaller Twisted Evil ) and saw the 3 disappear, the fault appear and then a second or so later the 4 appear. About to call dealer now and explain the fault.... and the remedy!
Thanks guys
Jeff
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #3839121st Jan 2006 1:11 pm
Malcolm

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Having enjoyed this park brake lark several times it has always ( on number 9 now) been the rear flow sensor in the fuel tank... Rolling Eyes The other clue , if you have a manual is that the gear indiacator will stop registering "N" as you pass through neutral, why the fuel sensor chats with
the gear stick is however more of a mystery Shocked Question Shocked
 Alive and kicking..who's round is it anyway ??  
Post #3841321st Jan 2006 7:34 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Ok well I'm not getting the missing N so I'd assume a recalibration will sort it. The fault now shows every time I use the car ( always 3rd to 4th) and bearing in mind I've done 15000 miles fault free and this happens on the way home from a service, begs the question what has my dealer done to cause the fault?
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #3864023rd Jan 2006 12:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >