Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Handling comparison question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
crasha

United Kingdom 
Handling comparison question

I am currently enjoying a loaner 2010 RRS 3.0 HSE with 20 inch wheels whilst my Disco 3 HSE on 19 inchers is in for some "warranty/recall attention".

Question: Can anyone help compare the handling of the following ?

Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 - smooth but hard to push on, has a pace it likes and thats the pace it likes... you know what i mean
2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6 - bonkers in comparison with Disco 3 ! but harder ride, feels smaller and less like a 4x4 to me
Disco 4 3.0 TDV6 - can anyone compare with the above two?
FFRR 3.6 TDV8 - again any compares?

Considering my next ride and most of all in awe of the bigger engines :-)

thanks Andy

Post #64228228th Apr 2010 2:44 pm
essex4x4

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well my dad has a FFRR TDV8 pulls really well, rides really well is a proper cruiser in comparison to the RRS, its a lot more rolly but it really is like sitting in a very fast moving reclineable arm chair! Its quicker than a D3 in a straight line but the d3 would catch it up in the corners, you think the RR3 3.0 is bonkers then the TDV8 is on another level yet again, but like you say its got a harder ride etc etc, ultimately the ideal world between all of them is the D4 3.0 TDV6, i just can't afford one haha!

HTH
 2011 D4 SDV6 Auto Commercial  
Post #64230128th Apr 2010 3:56 pm
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Ive owned 3 of the 4 you mention Very Happy
1st was the D3 2.7HSE 2005MY having come from a D2 TD5 I was very impressed but they are poles apart!!
I put 12k on it before having JE Engineering remap it Very Happy That made a huge difference, MPG up, performance all through the rev-range fantastic. When dropping a 1900kg tin tent on the back you would expect a huge impact on MPG but only lost 3-4. It was like driving an arm chair on steriods Laughing Had the beast for 38k miles and was sad to see it go Whistle
Next the real deal (so I thought) RRS TDV8 2008MY I have always wanted a V8 diesel and this baby didnt disappoint, I never felt it needed a remap although many other would disagree!! I feel it unfair to even begin to compare the D3 with the TDV8 as they really are hugely different. I loved the handling and extra performance but disliked the lack of space and comfort, but its horses for courses.
A change of life style returned me to the D4 3.0 HSE having had it for 7 months and 9k miles I can honestly say I don't miss the Sport in anyway shape or form. The performance gain the new 3L gives over the old 2.7L (even with a re-map) its NON comparable. I also feel that there is little to choose from in performance with the Sport. The big gains are the alround better vision the D3/D4 has, my fillings don't now fall out every time I run over the slightest imperfection in the road, the brakes are fantastic (yes better than the Sport) it drages the tin tent better than the Sport as the transmission and engine map are better suited to using the torque much lower down. I can now use the cruise control without the box wanting to change down at the slightest incline!
Handling is well up on the D3 but not a patch on the Sport, I could never work out how they could get a 2.7 tonne truck to corner like it's on rails Very Happy
Its like they always say you pays your money etc etc etc.
The problem with me is I just LOVE Land Rovers Thumbs Up
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #64277329th Apr 2010 3:14 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have owned 4 of the 4 you mention (although the FFRR was a 3.0L diesel so not quite the same).

D3 - you describe it very well. Getting out of a RRS into a D3 could be a problem as the D3 needed more careful setting up for corners as it felt relatively top heavy compared to the Sport. But still a good handler. 7/10

RRS handles very well, hunkers down over the road and with Dynamic Response is a complete hoot. I have nevr found the ride hard at all even on 20" wheels. Anyone who has ever driven an X5 (and I have been unfortunate enough to) would regard the Sport as a far softer and easier ride - without compromising cornering ability. 9/10

FFRR - was a bit of a barge compared to the sport. It was a lot better than the previous model - which was scary to drive fast - but still rolled around on corners such that it encouraged a rather sedate drive. It gripped well though - you just got fed up with the kids crashing from side to side along the back seat and the dogs complaining as they clung on for bitter life. 6/10

D4 - feels quite different to a D3 but still not the same as a RRS. Its definitely tighter and you can throw it into corners without worry. But it still holds its weight higher than the RRS. We have 20" wheels on our D4 and they do give a slightly harsh edge to the ride that was never a feature of the D3 on 19"'s. 8/10
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #64334430th Apr 2010 7:58 pm
crasha

United Kingdom 

Well... thanks for the replies... I have now been back in the D3 for a while and she is still smooth and lovely.

I've also had the opportunity to drive 2 x D4 HSE cars and concluded the following:
1. They are fantastic cars
2. However they are much more expensive, you could get a nearly new HSE D3 for just over £30k a couple of years ago, you cannot get a D4 HSE for that amount plus £10k.
3. They are not double the car (trade in = half the cost of a nearly new D4)
4. The new engine is a big improvement BUT once up to cruising speed not much difference.
5. Handling - definitely better
6. Brakes - again better
7. Interior - better but looking less rough and tumble
8. Exterior - a bit bling for old school land rover tastes
9. Avoiding having a go in a FFRR TDV8 !

I am sticking with my nearly 3 year old HSE D3 for now, but it's more of a head versus heart decision :-)

Post #65052818th May 2010 6:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >