Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Hardware's Cheap and Cheerful Loadguard/Doguard mod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Hardware's Cheap and Cheerful Loadguard/Doguard mod

This is very much a "version 1" mod as I have something a bit more radical I want to do but needed

1. load guard to allow me to pile thing higher than the seats

2. to be able to fold it flat as a shelf behind the seats

3. to be able to fold the seats without removing the guard.

Firstly … many thanks to RNClayton for the freebie dog-guard, and to Chrisholly31 and 200TDi for getting it up North for me.

Ok … on with the mod !

The dog guard came with two clamps that attach it to the outer middle-row seat head-rest posts. It already allowed for folding flat as a parcel shelf but was tricky to manoeuvre if folding the seats and needed all three seats folded. I was really wanting to still fold seats individually either for access to boot or to use the "picnic table" middle section.

Decided to have a go at fixing it to the loadspace cover instead of the seats.

Removed the loadspace cover and if you turn it over and take off one of the end pieces, it looks like this :

Note there is a handy groove here … much more obvious in real life than in the photos.

I'd some 10mm nylon rod that's similar thickness to the head-rest posts … so to fit it in the groove, I used a similar sized metal rod with a 4mm hole through the centre and held it in the groove using mole-grips.

then drilled through the loadspace cover from the underside with 4mm drill …

"drilled" out the hole to full size using a countersink from the top … avoids damaging the fabric surface too much.

matched countersink size to nylon rod …

drilled out hole …

Repeat on other end of loadspace cover.

Hints:

1. only do one end at a time and the roll-out part of the cover will not detach from the fixed bit or unravel off the spring bit.

2. when re-assembling, the end bits need pushing towards the ends. makes sense when you're doing it !

3. be careful not to let the catch part fall out of it's position when re-assembling … it's not hard to get it back in, but if you've screwed it all back together, it's a PITA.

4. same goes for the roll-out bit. it can catch inside the frame and you will need to unscrew one end again.

The loadguard fittings were the fastened to two lengths of the nylon rod and simply push in to the holes from above.

and as you can see, with it all in place I can now fold seats as I wish. Simplez!

I've already decided I can improve on this a little if I can get my hands on a piece of the hex bar used by the fittings but have it the full width of the loadspace cover, but this does what I need for now so not at the top of the list for a while I suspect.

usual safety caveat … if you regard the loadguard as safety critical, don't do this mod if you think it reduces the strength of the guard below what you need.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #19699922nd Aug 2018 7:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >