Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Haven Holiday parks - good or bad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CFB

United Kingdom 
Haven Holiday parks - good or bad?

Looking for a cheap UK family holiday this year and keep being drawn to Haven due to the locations and facilities on their website.

However, I have heard mixed things about them and without being too much of a snob am a bit worried that they are a bit on the err, rough side?

Any recommendations from folks who have actually been there, worth a go and if so which park, or stay clear?

Post #9394057th Jun 2012 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Been to Haven for last few years and they is obviously good and bad.

A lesson we learnt very early on was go for the top two grades of caravan, the top one if you can as the others can be very rough.

If you have young kids then I think they will love the experience. Thumbs Up

(Rockley Park is where we go)
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #9394087th Jun 2012 10:24 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

I was concerned like yourself but did a couple of Sun getaways with the extended family.

I went with low expectations but was quite surprised and had a good laugh.

Go with an open mind and just accept its not Sandals!!!

Enjoy.
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail info@md-couriers.co.uk 

Post #9394107th Jun 2012 10:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

Thanks, I do have young kids and they love all the activities, swimming pools etc that these places seem to offer. They are not cheap in August though hence asking on here, might just give it a go!

Post #9394117th Jun 2012 10:32 am
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Centre parcs would get my vote over Haven. Costs a little more but well worth it.
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #9394157th Jun 2012 10:42 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Had a few holidays at Centre Parcs and I do like it but it is very expensive and I'm thinking more seaside locations this time around.

Post #9394207th Jun 2012 11:03 am
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Have a look at Haven in Riviere Towans, Hayle.

Massive un packed beach.

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail info@md-couriers.co.uk 

Post #9394257th Jun 2012 11:12 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've been to a couple, mixed feelings, great for kids, plenty to do, my brother swears by them and goes every year...

Depends on the site you go too, it may be better to state which one youre thinking of going to and see if nyone has been too it
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #9394277th Jun 2012 11:18 am
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Been a few times and like others have mixed feelings. We once stayed in a bronze caravan (we took dog) and lighter button on oven didnt work. I went to reception and we got a free box of matches. I asked how that was safe, she said it was a bronze van, i replied with, "oh im sorry, didnt realise our lives were worth less than those in silver and gold ones". However we have always had a good laugh and good for kids

Pete

Post #9394347th Jun 2012 11:41 am
msmudge

United Kingdom 

Absolutly the worst experience of service I have experienced. Admittedly the weather was horrendous, but the heating in the caravan was ineffective. And I was told could have 'hired' an electric heater when I checked out early as could no longer stand the being cold. But this was only one of the issues. I could explain all the problems, but it would be to long winded. I will never go to another haven site again and would never reccomend them based on the this experience. And this does not include what I saw when I previously worked for them as a barman.
No I'm not a disgruntled ex-employee, just a customer with very bad experience.
While working for them i could never work out why the club house on a holiday park would need door staff. But there was trouble there with some families (not just individuals). And there was a drug situation, so beware!

Post #94491821st Jun 2012 7:20 am
nicedayforit

England 

Might be worth a read

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews77142.html

The one a long the road from me , Solway Holiday Village , Silloth isn't too bad, just don't book a chalet. Wink

Post #94492121st Jun 2012 7:31 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

For what they cost in august you could buy a half decent tin tent, go anywhere, kids love it and you can either selll when u get back or use it time and again. A much more cost effective option.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #94492621st Jun 2012 7:51 am
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've taken to our own caravan to a few Haven sites over the last few years so can't comment on their own accomodation but I personally think they are good but I suppose it depends what you want from the holiday.
The sites we have been on have had a similar setup - indoor pool, climbing frames, peddle go carts etc for the kids during the day.
At the night theres a pub/restaurant and large showbar and stage with nightly entertainment, mainly singers of mixed ability and prices are reasonable.
You do tend to get a few 'ruff uns' but you tend to get some in most large campsites/holiday parks.
If you have a site in mind then I suggest you read some reviews about it on -
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

We normally go at the back end of the season and make full use of the evening facilities Thumbs Up

Post #94494421st Jun 2012 8:53 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

the reality is they are low end budget holidays but if youve got young kids then i think well worth while.

hasnt ever seemed to matter where i go or how much it costs generally if the kids are happy and entertained you get a good holiday as well and i think haven do this bit well.

i can overlook the chips and chavs but not "too" often Smile agree with russell tho the tin tent gives you more options and you can go to a haven with it as well if no good hitch up and move on.

perhaps its cos i did loads of butlins and pontins holiday camps as a kid myself with nothing but good memories but i would give it a go Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #94494521st Jun 2012 8:53 am
disco rob

England 

We used to do these before we got the caravan, never had a problem, kids loved them, Bradley bear, Rory and all that. Hagerston Castle is a nice park. Give it a go but get the highest grade caravan you can.
 VW Touareg 3.0 Altitude
Mondeo 04 Reg (Hers)
Swift Conqueror 645 Lux 

Post #9510995th Jul 2012 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >