Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HDC fault when switching ignition on, usually when downhill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
slimey

Wales 
HDC fault when switching ignition on, usually when downhill

Got what seems to be a common fault on my D3 - but the triggers don't seem to match anything I've found with a search of the forum.

Intermittently, I'm getting HDC fault when I turn the ignition switch on. If I then go on to start the engine, I get the full set of transmission fault, parking brake fault, special programs off, lowered suspension, but doesn't otherwise affect the driving.

Now, here's the odd bit. It seems to happen most times I park facing downhill. It rarely happens if I park facing uphill. It happens occasionally when I'm parked on the flat. Sometimes switching the ignition switch off/on a few times will clear the fault. If not, I have to drive somewhere where I'm pointing up-hill, then turn the ignition on/off (sometimes a few times) and it'll clear.

It only ever happens when I first turn the ignition switch on, never when I'm driving.

I've read the codes with my Autel, and it's always the same codes when it happens:

U0416-94 Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module (Temporary)
U0403-94 Invalid data received from transfer case control module (Temporary)
U0416-86 Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module (Temporary)
P0915-00 Gearshift position - circuit range/performance (Permanent)
U0403-68 Invalid data received from transfer case control module (Permanent)

If I then clear all the codes, U0416-94 and U0403-94 remain.

Local indie have had the D3 in for the last couple of weeks to rebuild the EPB (at least now when the HDC fault happens it's not squealing loudly!). They've checked the plug connector on the transfer case and couldn't see an obvious problem there.

Any suggestions where to look next?

Post #22548812nd Oct 2021 9:26 pm
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

My symptoms are identical. I know previous owner first thing he asked, is your drive flat. His was and a couple of viewings it didn't do it when I went to look at it. My drive is slight downhill and did it within my first week of ownership lol.
My suspicion thou with mine is the aircon pressure is contributing /causing it...
or maybe battery is v slightly imperfect.
If I go for a decent run, it tends to not do it for the next couple of starts.
The hdc thing is something really temperamental. It's interesting how it reacts and can bring up unrelated wild goose chase faults.
I've also found if you switch the ignition to position 2..leave if for a minute then start.. Sometimes it doesn't do it. Could it be my few dodgy glow plugs.. Idk.
I wonder if landrover themselves could diagnose it honestly instead of wanting to do everything.

Post #22549062nd Oct 2021 11:24 pm
Sea Raider

I used to suffer from special progs off and the like, changed out the battery and since then not had 1 message.

May also be worth checking the footwells for water as well if you have sunroofs fitted

Post #22549183rd Oct 2021 7:07 am
slimey

Wales 

Doughboy wrote:
My symptoms are identical. I know previous owner first thing he asked, is your drive flat. His was and a couple of viewings it didn't do it when I went to look at it. My drive is slight downhill and did it within my first week of ownership lol.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only D3 owner with the same symptoms!

Doughboy wrote:
My suspicion thou with mine is the aircon pressure is contributing /causing it...

I haven't had any aircon gas in mine for over a year. They tried regassing it earlier in the year, but found a major leak, so abandoned it.

Doughboy wrote:
I've also found if you switch the ignition to position 2..leave if for a minute then start.. Sometimes it doesn't do it.

Might have to try that...

Doughboy wrote:
Could it be my few dodgy glow plugs.. Idk.

Interestingly, I've had glow plug codes come up a couple of times after the HDC fault, but didn't think anything of them.

I've also got a suspension leak somewhere (tried the soapy water everywhere, no sign of leaks on any pipe joints, so currently suspecting a faulty valve block), and also occasional "Engine System Fault" which seems to correlate with MAP sensor codes, and often see knock sensor codes too.

Post #22549233rd Oct 2021 7:30 am
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

I do think Sea Raider has probably got the strongest point. I've heard lots of times the battery is a strong contender as they are so sensitive to voltage and a decent charge.
Tbf it wouldn't hurt to get a new one and use the current battery on a split charge or as a backup.

Post #22549413rd Oct 2021 9:31 am
slimey

Wales 

Resurrecting an old thread of mine...

I tried all the suggestions, including replacing the battery. Nothing fixed it. Since I first reported this, the problem was getting gradually more and more frequent...

Today I've just swapped the Transfer Case Control Module with one from eBay, and the problem seems to have gone away! I'll need to keep an eye on things over the next few days, but fingers crossed that's what the problem was. Looking at the old one, there's nothing obviously wrong with the circuit board, but there is some signs of corrosion on some of the contacts.

Best £80 and 20 minutes work under the bonnet that I've spent in a long while!

Post #22980601st Jul 2022 2:40 pm
Nickdisco

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Did this cure completely or has it ever returned?
 Silver MY10 D4
Prospeed Rack / Ladder and Accessories
Shire Sliders
GG AT3
Genuine LR RAI
The list goes on... 

Post #23497266th Oct 2023 9:59 am
slimey

Wales 

Swapping the TCCM did resolve the issue permanently for me.

I've recently developed another niggly issue which is probably also related to the TCCM but I'm not going to fiddle for fear of creating a bigger issue.

Post #23497306th Oct 2023 10:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >