Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HDC, Transmission, & Suspension faults, Special Programs off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Longhorn94

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3
HDC, Transmission, & Suspension faults, Special Programs off

New member here. Trying to diagnose my LR3 with the often cited christmas tree lights on the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2006 LR3 with 300k miles on it. I love my truck. It has given me a few issues over the years but mostly routine maintenance. Never leaked a drop of oil or left me on the side of the road so I can't complain.

The truck was running perfect. I left it outside during a really heavy rain because the garage was full with my wife's and kids' cars. My sunroof drains are apparently blocked up (how do you unblock them?) so the water came into the passenger side compartment floorboard and there was enough to be standing an half-inch or so on top of the carpet. The truck still started and ran fine. I dried it out in the Texas heat and thought it was good to go. I parked in the garage one night and the next morning went to start it and the errors and lights began. HDC fault, transmission fault, suspension fault, special programs off. Red parking light on and parking brake turned on. Suspension lowered to the bumps. When the parking brake is turned off, it beeps non-stop until I put it in drive and go. In drive, the suspension will raise a little bit and the truck drives perfectly (other than being a little on the lower side for the suspension but not too bouncy. it definitely comes up from the bumps). Transmission is fine. It runs, shifts, turns, and drives like normal.

So I read this forum and figured it was the brake switch. I changed it out. Same faults.

I next changed the rear brake light bulbs. same faults.

Next, I chased down the red wire in the passenger side floor board. There was 1/2" of water under the foam and in the side rail with all the wires. I dried it all out, located the red wire, it was still connected but corroded. I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I tested the voltage at the brake switch. It was a solid 12v. Same faults.

I let it sit for several weeks while gone on vacation hoping it would dry out or magically forget. Same faults.

I did a hard reset with the battery. Same faults. I tested the battery and put a trickle charger on it. Same faults.

So i took it to the shop down the street and they hooked it up and found a page full of codes. They cleared most of them. But the following ones remain. I am hoping that someone on here can assist in figuring this out. My guess is the steering angle sensor. The shop is recommending the transfer case clutch actuator.

P1860 Clutch Actuator Stuck - (T-Case)
U0403 Invalid Data From T-Case - (ABS)
U0416 Invalid Data from Vehicle Dynamics Control Module - (Ride Level Control Module)
U0421 Invalid Data from Ride Level Control Module - (All Terrain Control Module)
B1B02 Low Freq Coil - (BCM)
B1C57 Passive Start Ignition Relay Coil - (BCM)
Steering Column Module: B1B02, B1C44, B1C57, B1D12

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you in advance for any help y'all might be able to provide.

Cheers!

Jason

Post #207722519th Aug 2019 8:09 pm
Longhorn94

after doing a little more research, it looks like the codes that showed up under the Steering Column Module relate to the low freq coil, rear wiper park, volumetric alarm power, and passive start ignition rely. Is there a code for the steering angle sensor?

Post #207724119th Aug 2019 8:32 pm
Longhorn94

The shop said there was no code for Steering Angle Sensor error. So my best guess is it is the clutch actuator on the TC or the TCCM. Any feedback?

Post #207727819th Aug 2019 9:43 pm
Longhorn94

Just to add a bit more info, there have been no clanks or anything from the TC. It was driving really smooth and totally normal. The shop is recommending the clutch actuator and updating the software. Could it just need a software update?

Post #207728619th Aug 2019 10:21 pm
Longhorn94

I am having the shop inspect and clean the TCCM first and if it does not resolve the codes, replace the clutch actuator and update the software. I will report back the results.

Post #207729119th Aug 2019 10:57 pm
Longhorn94

update.

The shop inspected the Transfer Case Control Module and did not see any signs of corrosion or anything out of the ordinary.

The shop replaced the Transfer Case clutch actuator but it did not fix the truck. The same codes and warnings and lights are still on. They removed the new one and put the old one back on.

Sooooo, given my codes, does anyone have ideas? The TCCM is not communicating with the code reader. It is throwing an invalid data code under ABS. Does that mean that despite it not appearing bad, that is is? For those that replaced their TCCM, did you have a code indicating that was the issue?

Also for those that had ABS sensor issues, did it have a code indicating that was the issue?

Any other ideas?

THANKS in advance.

Post #207790022nd Aug 2019 6:48 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I cant really hep as all this is way too technical for me, but I had all thoise lights on and an ABS code.

It was a wheel speed sensor.

Post #207795623rd Aug 2019 7:37 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Welcome aboard !

Sounds to me like the water got in a lot of places and took a long while to dry, so I'd be looking for any connectors in and around the flooded footwell. Maybe as high as the fusebox? Pull them apart, clean and refit.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #207795923rd Aug 2019 8:16 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Was the sunroof drain bucked or has the rubber elbow disintegrated where the drain goes from the cabin to the wheel arch. If blocked water can flood from the headlining maybe onto the center console? Or if the elbow then water can enter the body control module(centrol junction box - fuse board) on the passenger side under the dash. This may cause electrical faults. BCM will have to be removed anyway to replace passenger side elbow lf it's at fault.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #207796123rd Aug 2019 8:21 am
Longhorn94

Philip1972 wrote:
I cant really hep as all this is way too technical for me, but I had all thoise lights on and an ABS code.

It was a wheel speed sensor.

Thank you for the response! Do you know what ABS code you had?

Post #207801723rd Aug 2019 1:07 pm
Longhorn94

Hardware17 wrote:
Welcome aboard !

Sounds to me like the water got in a lot of places and took a long while to dry, so I'd be looking for any connectors in and around the flooded footwell. Maybe as high as the fusebox? Pull them apart, clean and refit.

Thank you for the welcome and for the response!

I think we have worked through that but perhaps I could go back through them again. I cleaned out all the water in the footwell and the side electrical rail/trench area. I removed all the water and then cleaned and re-spliced the infamous red wire. The shop then did the same on both footwells, cleaning, inspecting, and looking for any wires that looked problematic. I will put this on the list of things to do again.

Post #207801923rd Aug 2019 1:11 pm
Longhorn94

Oswiperus wrote:
Was the sunroof drain bucked or has the rubber elbow disintegrated where the drain goes from the cabin to the wheel arch. If blocked water can flood from the headlining maybe onto the center console? Or if the elbow then water can enter the body control module(centrol junction box - fuse board) on the passenger side under the dash. This may cause electrical faults. BCM will have to be removed anyway to replace passenger side elbow lf it's at fault.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, i believe the sunroof drains are blocked. But I dont know if the rubber elbow is intact or not. This is the first time I have heard of it. If you can point me in the right direction, I will inspect and report back. When water gets into the passenger floorboard, I dont see where the water come in from, meaning it is not dripping from the ceiling or headliner. It just magically appears in the passenger footwell.

The water entered in the truck a few months ago at this point. The wires and footwells have been dried out and cleaned a few times. Given the codes I have, do you think this is the most likely cause?

So my list of possible causes in light of the codes and history:

Transfer Case Control Module (TC Case - invalid data code)
A corroded or damaged wire in the passenger footwell (multiple BCM and electrical based codes)
ABS wheel speed sensor (is there a specific code that I should be seeing for this?)
Steering Angle Sensor (is there a specific code that I should be seeing for this?)

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Anything else that my codes hint at?

Post #207802623rd Aug 2019 1:59 pm
asj968

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Did you get this issue resolved? I have practically the same thing - replaces the drain that had disintegrated where it goes through the body and am getting special programmes off, HDC fault and suspension lowered and will not rise even though the compressor is running.

I did change my front left driveshaft since I last drove it and am wondering if I have a faulty speed sensor- does this prize put after removing the retaining bolt ?
 Porsche 968 Cabrio
Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 

Post #215545120th Jun 2020 12:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >