Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Head turned !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Godders

France 
Head turned !!

I am going to throw this in to see views of the learned members of this sight as I feel I am somewhat confused over recent information received.

I currently own a 2001 P38 4.6 V8 and which has been my work horse for the last 4 years whilst doing a lot of renovations here in France. apart from the money pit side of the car it has done the job fantastically well and then some (dragging a trapped car from a driveway and a dumper out of a field). I love the car but with the work now done I am upgrading in Jan/Feb and had made my mind up to get a D4 ( budget of around £20,000) as we are rural...not remote....and the engineering and space looked very attractive in the D4.

My problem is that I learnt of the following which is causing my quandary, the chassis, electrics, suspension and engine are exactly the same as a RRS. The difference between the 2 is more practicality of the D4 v the more comfort/coziness of a RRS.

Having been researching for a few months on what I can get for my money (at least a HSE, tow bar, xenon headlights, rev camera as minimum), I then looked at RRS and for the same budget I can get matching cars for age and spec as the D4 but on avg with 15,000 to 20,000 less miles and less risk of buying a car that has had a harder work life.

There is only my wife and I, no dogs..yet with only light towing and airport runs for visiting family and friends.

I would appreciate your views as I had my heart set on a D4 but am now seriously considering the RRS as the car to purchase. (also there do seem to be more RRS available so chance of colours inside and out which means a better chance of getting a colour to my liking).
 Never argue with a stupid person.....they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.  
Post #185165327th Aug 2017 12:04 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Low £20s should get you into an 8 speed SDV6 Sport Thumbs Up
Smaller car than a D4 physically but same underneath except for the Dynamic Response system which tightens steering and suspension at flick of a switch. Good for twisty French roads Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #185165927th Aug 2017 12:35 pm
Somerset Bumpkin

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've owned both and preferred driving the RRS, felt a lot more special. Not much in them tbh though, D4 is way more practical and less ostentatious but if it was just my wife and I again I'd be happier in the Sport.

Post #185168227th Aug 2017 2:41 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well, on a discovery site, I guess you'd be amazed if the majority didn't come out in favour of the Disco. I'm surprised that the RRS is like for like cheaper, thought the opposite was true.

As for me, the proper 7 seats (which I use occasionally at school run time) and the cavernous luggage capacity (hobby gamekeeper means all sorts can and does get chucked in) whilst still being able to pick it's skirts up when needed and it brushes up well means it's the Disco for me.

I think they both offer pretty much the same things, just the emphasis is different. For driving, it's the RRS. For versatility it's the Disco.

Post #185176427th Aug 2017 8:16 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I need 7 seats, and the practicality, and want the power and noise of a TDV8

Much easier decision if there is something you can already buy either that would suit Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #185180727th Aug 2017 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Godders

France 

Thanks for the responses and whilst I was expecting some bias, I know that members here do speak truthfully and that is what has happened.

I am surprised by the prices but it does seem, the more I look, that for a 6/7 yr old HSE with FSH, then the prices are similar for the D4 and the RRS, but Avg mileage is lower for the RRS with considerably more of the RRS for sale giving better choice of colour.

In fairness when the time comes, in view of the similarity of the two vehicles I may look for both types and buy the best spec/colour etc for the money that is on the market. Looks like a no lose situ.
 Never argue with a stupid person.....they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.  
Post #185255530th Aug 2017 7:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >