Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Headlamps: USA vs UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gvmnt

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Headlamps: USA vs UK

Looking to take our LR3 with us to the UK, and believe that some headlamp conversion might be required. I understand that the UK spec Discovery 3 has some type of lever that allows lights to be "turned" to drive on mainland Europe. I have taken a look at my lights, and also checked with the local dealer, but could not locate the lever.

My adaptive bi-xenon lights are part number XBC500442 and XBC500452 for the right hand and left hand respectfully. Are these part numbers used in the UK? If so, then I would easily know that once the vehicle is in the UK, the dealer there would be able to help with the lever. Otherwise, does anyone know what part numbers are for the bi-xenon adaptive lights on the UK spec vehicles?

Thank you.

Post #1858573rd Aug 2007 8:20 pm
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had to find the lever after leaving the UK for Germany and to be honest it wasn't really what I was expecting. If you open the headlight unit and look inside you should see a small silver coloured lever, which doesn't move that much. Anyway just move it the couple of cm's and plug the light unit back in.
Park up facing a wall and you should see the difference, the beam (on the non converted one) will have a kick up ie so that you can see the sidewalk on the right, the one you have changed (hopefully) will be flat, ie no kick up.
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #1862466th Aug 2007 6:42 am
DrLex

Iceland 

IIRC, the US version is not switchable, on the basis that the need to do so is almost zero - export situations only.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1862506th Aug 2007 7:26 am
gvmnt

Have found out today that the XBC500442 and XBC500452 are the part numbers for the US market only. And that apparently in the UK the part numbers used are XBC500102 and XBC500112. So far no idea as to what the difference between the headlamp assebmies is.

The interesting thing is that the US spec lamps come at around $350 more expensive (around $1,500 each) vs the UK spec (~$1,150 each). The more interesting thing is that the latter ones are actually also available at the US dealerships. Will try to work through dealers as to what the main differences are, and why such a price variance.

But if anyone is very technically inclined, and could point the answer, I would very much appreciate that too.

Also, all you need to do to see the part numbers, is pop the hood / bonnet open. It is right on top the headlamp assembly.

Post #1865146th Aug 2007 11:07 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

You might drop an email to Nick at Yeovil LR ("The Large One") for a keen price on a pair of adaptive bi-Xenons to await your car's arrival in the UK - it should be a little less than $1150 each, on the basis that the non-adaptives are £337 ea. (?$675)
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1865277th Aug 2007 5:54 am
gvmnt

Thank you! I will definitely get in touch with Nick. I will also keep trying to understand as to whether the US lamps can be "modified", although with the "adaptive" option i have little hope.

Post #1866287th Aug 2007 2:06 pm
Pelyma

England 

The cost of the headlights will be nothing compared to the cost of the fuel over here!!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1867217th Aug 2007 4:29 pm
gvmnt

Pelyma wrote:
The cost of the headlights will be nothing compared to the cost of the fuel over here!!

Smile that i know, about the fuel. that said, it does not hurt to try and save cash on the headlights. also, we did think about buying a car in the uk, but once we saw the prices even for a ford focus, bringing our current vehicles made much sense. yes, yes, the inconvenince of driving with the steering wheel on the "other" side, -- but hey, that's an adventure.

anyways, if anybody does know anything about adapting US spec lights to the UK standard, I would greatly appreciate any advise! otherwise will certainly keep you posted on our experience.

Last edited by gvmnt on 7th Aug 2007 10:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1868457th Aug 2007 10:20 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got a 'spare' pair of adaptive Xenon's available - won't work unless you already have adaptives fitted though Sad

Post #1868487th Aug 2007 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gvmnt

10forcash wrote:
I've got a 'spare' pair of adaptive Xenon's available - won't work unless you already have adaptives fitted though Sad

i am pretty sure that my adaptive bi-xenon lamps are factory installed, so that should be okay, no? what are the part numbers on yours?

Post #1868507th Aug 2007 10:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >